Here is the formula for anyone interested.
Silver Thiosulfate Solution (STS)
****** A Silver Nitrate (AgNO3) & B Sodium Thiosulfate (Na2S2O3) / Ratio A:B= A 0.1g to B 0.78g per 100ml
- 100ml (3.38 ounces) of H2O each part; Part A solution = 0.1g Silver Nitrate; Part B solution = 0.78g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate
- 200ml (6.76 ounces) of H2O each part; Part A solution = 0.2g Silver Nitrate; Part B = 1.56g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate
- 300ml (10.14 ounces) of H2O each part; Part A solution = 0.3g Silver Nitrate; Part B = 2.34g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate
- 400ml (13.5 ounces) of H2O each part; Part A = 0.4g Silver Nitrate; Part B = 3.12g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate
- 500ml 16.9 ounces of H2O each part; Part A = 0.5g Silver Nitrate; Part B = 3.9g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate
Ready to spray STS
Equal amounts of stock ratio A&B (1:1) + 9x RO ratio of (1:9) or (Part A + Part B) x9 RO. ( Ex: for 400ml ready to spray solution add 20ml of A +20ml of B) x 9RO or 40ml stock x 9RO=360 RO water. 40ml+360ml=400ml)
- 200ml = 10ml A + 10ml B + 180ml RO water = 6.76 ounces
- 300ml = 15ml A + 15ml B + 270ml RO water = 10.14 ounces
- 400ml = 20ml A + 20ml B + 360ml RO water = 13.5 ounces
- 500ml = 25ml A + 25ml B + 450ml RO water = 16.9 ounces
Preparation of STS: **The finished STS is a 50/50 mix of the stock solutions diluted in RO water. Ratio of Stock solution to water is 1:9.
- The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.
- The silver nitrate solution (A) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (B) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is stock silver thiosulfate solution (STS).
- Part A + Part B x 9 RO = Silver Thiosulfate Solution. [Example: To make 200ml add 10ml each of A&B (20ml total) x 9 RO (180ml RO) mix together for a total of 200ml of ready to use solution] .
Always Mix Part A in to Part B! This means putting part B in a container first and then adding part A while stirring.
- The STS working solution is sprayed on select female plants until runoff.
- Do the spraying over newspaper in a separate area from the flower room. Keep solution away from root zone/soil. Cover with paper to prevent dripping into pot.
- After the plant dries move it into 12/12 immediately. This is usually done three to four weeks prior to the date that the target (to be pollinated) plants will be ready to pollinate. Response times may vary slightly depending upon the strain. More specific times can be determined by trial with your own individual strains.
- ~ 21 days 12/12 for results. 30-35 days optimum for planning purposes .
- Use pollen to pollenate females 4 weeks into their flowering stage.
** Warning Note: Disposal of even small quantities of silver nitrate in waste systems connected to a septic tank is guaranteed to destroy the septic bacteria and require pumping out, flushing and seeding with fresh bacteria.
1oz = 29.57ml 3.38oz = 100ml 4oz = 118.29ml 6.76oz = 200ml 10.14oz = 300ml
13.5oz = 400ml 16oz = 473.18ml
2.5g Sodium Thiosulfate anhydrous = 3.9g Sodium Thiosulfate pentahydrate