Plutarch Turns the Lights Out - First Photo Grow Journal - What could go Wrong? Or Already Did?

@dbrn32 Thank you. I can run the lights hotter I was just paranoid. Especially in the flower tent where the light is turned down some from its max mfg recommended flower settings to keep the heat down slightly. Its not a popular light, the Spectrum 1100 and has three dials, red, white and blue 1-99 %. Current set to Red 88 White 95 Blue 35 Or 72% Red / Blue Ratio as recommended by mfg. Set at 30" height, also at mfg. recommendation. I will turn these up to the max mfg recommended and see how they react. Planning to shift more blue as it finishes if that makes sense?

On the venting front I think I get what you are indicating. Best world two available headers, which I assume is a term my contractor will understand and the ability to use them, or not, at my discretion? With the ability to shut the down with diverters and keep everything inside which for the most part will be simpler to manage?

Do I have it about right? And thanks… I can architect data centers on two continents at 20,000 feet but my own circuit breaker box is a mystery to me. Much appreciated. You and @PiratedSoldier have given me what I need to give my buddy some direction tomorrow. If the exit scenario is too difficult I will give them a buy and feel better about the result. And will have some specific direction for them on the power configuration. Precisely what I hoped for. Here is the current occupant of said Flower Tent. OGKush Auto, Not my favorite but looks healthyish…67 days from drop. Leaf Temps run at 78 or 79. Again directionally correct and only as good as the laser tester and its operator. Beneath are I hope its eventual inhabitants. Looking much improved from their rough arrival.

1 Like

That sounds good to me. If your talking about the portable AC units they suck, I just disconected one this morning & put in a window AC unit. The one I bought was a high dollar AC, dehumidifyer, & heater. piece of crap. as they cool they draw air from the rest of the house an pump it outside along with some of the air it just cooled, the only way it gets rid of moisture is if you disconnect the outside hose & turn it to dehumidify & it heats up the room alot an I haven’t tried the heat but I bet it sucks too. $550 piece of crap. Oh, did I mention I don’t like it either !!!

3 Likes

@pillsbury thanks, you just saved me another bunch of dough and some useless planning and aggravation my good baker. Between you three you have sorted me for now. The occassions where I should need localized AC should be limited unless I want to get really crafty with my temps which is probably beyond me anyway. I will post in a few days and let you know how it all turns out. Very much appreciate the help.

1 Like

What i mean is one large intake and one large exhaust maybe 8" then have something like 6" coming off of each going to tents. You can put a damper on each in order to run more to or from either. For diverted I’m suggesting what would essentially be a switchable tee. Where you could change from having intake or exhaust go outside to inside with flip of a lever.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Understood. And thank you.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Or sort of understood, but defintely thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talk to your contractor, he will know. It’s just a way to have active exhaust and intake for both tents without having 2 fans for each of them. The dampers will give you individual control and diverter allows you switch points of intake and exhaust to wherever its most convenient to run.

3 Likes

My two tents are connected and share an exhaust system. Passage intake through one, exhaust fan /carbon filter in other. Tents are on different breakers.

Are you looking to vent to the outside or to your upstairs?

Outside @blackthumbbetty thanks. At the end of today I hope to have two vents into the garage, as close as I can get to directy outside, with the diverters @dbrn32 recommended so I can run in or out. They will probably be six inch rather than eight given space limitations as the basement is kind of like a bunker with limited options for exit without modifying the part where people actual live. I will be back on in a few days with questions on optimal configurations for airflow once I get it set up. Both tents are humming along perfectly now of course. And I am about to change it up. :slight_smile: Once completed however I will have air and water permanenatly set up with good access leaving me the grower to blame for poor results. Thanks again. Site has been a big help. One question that will arise is whether I can successfully downgrade the 8" system I have on the flower tent to vent through the six inch vent without screwing up the airflow.To make it work and have inflow and outflow both tents would also have to share that pipe. I suspect I may have to convert the Flower tent back to six inch to balance the outflow vent and/or balance with the other tent on its six inch ducting, no clue really, but that’s half the fun I suppose, and will cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks again you guys have been great.

1 Like

Typical 6" fan may be a little small to do that for exhaust. You’re probably going to have to take a look at the total amount of duct used and how much of a staic load the filters you plan on using will put on the fan. I’m thinking if 6" will be used each tent may require its own fan. You could always use Y pipe into a single duct.

I prefer using passive intake in most cases too. I think in your case I would install and intake fan because if the duct run, but a single 6" should be more than enough to support both tents.

2 Likes

Success @dbrn32 @blackthumbbetty @PiratedSoldier @pillsbury . I will have to sort the new configuration but for now it dumps the air from the 8" line out of the Flower Tent. I am considering taking both tents to the 8" on six inch lines with a Y connector if such things exist and then sending the air out through the single line here leaving the other completely open for fresh air to the room, OR, running the Veg Tent on its six inch line to the second vent and including a T and a valve set up to trip the dump into the room and flip it over to draw air in if I need it. I kind of like the idea of being able to manipulate both tents independently?? But it will be another learning exercise. Tents are both filtered now with a filter inside the Veg tent with the fan outside and with an inline filter on the 8" Flower Tent line, Fan also outside. The run from the tents below to the wall is a longish one. Forty five feet or so I would guess but pretty straight and level. You will see a third duct line in the photo. It is one of the two heat fan dumps. Each tent has its own second fan, the flower tent with its own filter, dumped from the Inkbird when tripped. Don’t worry about commenting on this right away, or ever really you have all already been a great help. Just wanted to close the loop and let you know your recommendations helped. Power is also split across two dedicated breakers without the long draping extension cords, one for each tent. It would have been a shame to lose a bunch of good weed because the house burned down. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

4 Likes

@Plutarch, with the share of knowledge that’s in this forum you should be in perfect hands after reading what I read man, I can’t wait to make new adjustments. Thx growers! Here’s what I can contribute. It works great so far. Yes spending 300.00 for portable ac was a waste! Uugghh!

1 Like

Ok now that the basics are in it is time to see if I can modify per @dbrn32 's advice. If you can confirm I have this sorted sir, it would be much appreciated. Assuming I want to convert this line and its six inch partner into a system that can run inside or out I think I need to add the following. Pulling @Hellraiser if he has time as it’s his fault I am now hooked on the AC Inifinity Fans. And adding @PiratedSoldier as his engineering on heat and airflow is just kind of wow and @pillsbury as a project is never complete without a good baker. Usual rules apply. Reply if you can and if you have time, interest etc…feedback welcome and appreciated but not required.

The run is roughly 40’ in a straight line and both tents are Gorilla 4x4’s with the Flower tent with the single expansion kit for height. They both are the heavy duty version and both have the high CFM kits installed. Flower has 8" ducting setup, vents and exhaust, and Veg has the same but 6". Both have a second heat dump six inch fan and line hooked to an inkbird. Inside are just lights and fans and controllers at present. Extra heater and humidfier etc… available if required but not connected. Lights are Lightworks 550 and 1100 with controllers for Veg and Flower respectively. I have the UVB light but it’s not hanging yet.

To complete this I’m thinking two AC Infinity fans per exhaust run, with the new 67 controllers. The single 8" does fine now but runs at about 60%. Guessing two could throttle down for a steady state and cycle up if required. Allowing me to convert the other heat dump system to a humidity soluton for example? Anyway I am assumign this would mean I set up the first fan closer to the tent and outside the carbon filter (pass through). Second fan closer to the outside wall. Beyond this second fan and prior to the exit I am thinking I need a T or a Wye, curious if there is a preference, and a damper to switch the airflow to inside. The damper being between the T or the Wye and the wall. If I want to turn one of these into an either/ or and be able to pull air in while I dump air inside, I am guessing I need a second T or Wye with another Damper between the first and the wall? Probably with a fan to draw air if I have it switched over? I may be able to open a third vent to the outside and leave one for inflow air only, but if I need one to convert I am hoping this would cover it. Finally, on the damper front I have some experience with these, pic below, and have always thought there must be another way. Is there? A unit with the Damper included for instance? Also included is a pic of the girls, photos, now stablized and moved into the big girl’s tent with the JHA that is in there now. As always any help appreciated.

1 Like

And now that the questions are out of the way here are a couple of OGKA’s that illustrate how different siblings can be. Same seed pack, same soil, but the lady on the right was ejected from the tent around day 56 for poor PH control. Kicked outside for fresh air, sunshine and rainwater where she stayed. Its been wet. This pic for anyone stopping by is also a good example of overwatering. The bag on the left, the inside plant, shows the evidence on the bag. This is mostly from the early stages of this grow, I have since modified my approach based on feeback on this forum and my back, my arms and everyone except the people that sold me five gallon pails thank me for it. The people who sell the expensive soil I was washing the goodness out of probably are not happy either. I do not expect to get major volume from either of these, you will find auto growers elsewhere that can provide examples but these do show the different development in the two environments pretty clearly. I am hoping the outside one will be like a tasty free range chicken. On the small side but delicious.

1 Like

And one more of her in the environment you are all helping me put together for them. They are lovely aren’t they? Should I see a therapist if I like to hang out with them and watch them grow? Or has the therapist been replaced with a plant and a hobby?

1 Like

This looks more appropriate for what you’re working with. Two of them and a T or Y and you would successfully built a diverter.

3 Likes

Purchased along with AC Infinity six inch fans and controller. Thanks again. Will let you know how it turns out.

4 Likes

How is velocity drop with all that flexible duct?

Excellent question and while I don’t measure it, its a long run. Its generally straight which helps, which means the airflow is probably not much worse then my early setups with all their twists and turns and extra ducting. Should I think about converting it to straight pipe without ducting? That is kind of why I am thinking of two fans per exhaust line. Open to suggestions.

1 Like

To best of my knowledge thr rigid duct doesn’t create a such of a staic load as flexible. But I’m not sure if you will need it for what you are looking to do. An hvac tech is probably better prepared to ander that. May Juarez want to see how much of a drop in velocity it appears to have.

1 Like