Please help me on my hydro setup

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

I bought 5 AK47 seeds a few months ago… I’ve grown the females to the right stage and now have 45 clones going strong. My indoor growing room is all good and almost ready to go. I have just 2 questions to ask that will make everything right. I would like to know how much of a slant my troughs should be from top to bottom? And I would also like to know what strength water pump to buy. That is; How many litres per hour or minute should my water pump be. I have 5 troughs, each able to hold 8 clones? My setup is obviously hydro, and my growing system is rockwool. Your help on this matter is much appreciated.

I’m thinking about 1/8” of an inch per foot for slope for drainage. Wait for @Donaldj to answer he does hydro, and probably provide a more detailed answer.
@Donaldj

2 Likes

Is this planned as a NFT system or flood and drain Ebb&FLow?
NFT trough doesn’t need to hold as much water so pump doesn’t need to be as fast. Also slope can be adjusted as needed to keep water flowing from feed end to return can be as little as 1/4 inch over 5ft to 1/2" Flood and drain slope is similar in nature except flow rate of pump can’t excede drain rate of overflow pump is determined by how much lift is needed how much volume of water you want to move during cycle since trays need to reach level and volume wanted by end of timer cycle or several times during the cycle.
So the answer is fill trough to chosen level measure volume times it by 5 than calculate at 5-10 minute fill minimum

1 Like

Thankyou for your replies. My system is an NFT system. So I understand that I won’t need a pump that moves a lot of water. Could you be more specific on the pump size I need? Also, how long do I run each watering cycle? It’s been a while since I’ve grown hydro so I don’t remember all that I need to know. My clones have been going for a week now. I’ve only lost 1 clone. I have everything set up for them to continue on their journey, except for a water pump and air stone.

[details=“Summary”][quote=“ILGM.Support.Zoe, post:1, topic:17370, full:true”]
A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

I bought 5 AK47 seeds a few months ago… I’ve grown the females to the right stage and now have 45 clones going strong. My indoor growing room is all good and almost ready to go. I have just 2 questions to ask that will make everything right. I would like to know how much of a slant my troughs should be from top to bottom? And I would also like to know what strength water pump to buy. That is; How many litres per hour or minute should my water pump be. I have 5 troughs, each able to hold 8 clones? My setup is obviously hydro, and my growing system is rockwool. Your help on this matter is much appreciated.
[/quote]

This text will be hidden
[/details]

1 Like

once again I do not know size of your troughs or volume of your res and troughs to suggest a pump do you need 100L to fill troughs and res or 10L how high does pump need to lift water? I gave you the math to calculate a minimum pump requirement I think it is important that you understand the calculations as they will effect res changes nutrients required pretty much your entire grow. This is a teaching forum learning the skills is not the same as following a step by step I can’t create and run system for you I can only offer advise on how to figure things out. Time cycles would start at 15m/hr on and be reduced or increased depending how plants respond

1 Like

Thankyou for your response to my questions. I’m getting the last of my supplies today to finish my grow room for my clones. I’ll upload a photo when I’m done.