So, I got my card which gives me the right to grow 4 plants. After stumbling a few times, I got a Zkittles and a Gorilla Glue (both Auto’s) in the dirt on Sep 13 which makes them about 49 days old.
I started with Burple lamps, but traded them in for Quantum boards after 1 month. I now have a bunch of 150 Watt panels and a couple 100 Watt panels. The Zkittles went straight into the stretch when I swapped lights, so they are in week 3 of flower now. The Gorilla Glue has continued to Veg, and just now seems to be starting to stretch - she is much fuller than the Zkittles was when she stretched, so I’m thinking GG will end up pretty big.
Soil: I started my plants in 2 gallon containers using organic composted garden soil with no additives. It honestly seemed a little crappy with a lot of wood chunks in it mixed with vermiculite. I realized that the 2 gallon containers wouldn’t be sufficient, and swapped them out for 5 gallon fabric pots just about when I swapped the lamps. I’m also now using a new formula, 3 parts organic composted garden soil (a new brand, this one is darker and has more dirt and less chunks) 3 parts composted cow manure, 2 parts peat moss, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiculite - with garden tone organic fertilizer added (is this ok?, my neighbor who was a gardener when I was a kid swore by that product, said it was weak and natural and good for all plants).
I’m using chemical fertilizer - 20-20-20 for veg and 15-30-15 for flower, both at half strength, I started adding 1 teaspoon of epsom salt for magnesium a couple days ago after reading about it on here. I’m open to a marijuana specific fertilizer, I picked up the stuff I have from Menards after reading one of Robert Bergman’s articles.
So, please help get my Zkittlez across the finish line, I’m a little concerned because I had my lights too close to the plants, I moved them and yesterday noticed that a clump of buds and a couple leaves on the main cola looked dead. Sure enough a small tug and it fell off. Many of the other leaves on the main cola are extremely dry on one side, I’m not sure if they are dead or alive, but the buds are still growing. I will chop off the main cola if necessary if the rest of the buds will do better with it gone. Similarly, I have circled some shoots that look like they are drastically underperforming. I cut off about 15 shoots from the underside and inside that were way behind and not getting much light. I’ve got a ton of bud sites on this plant, so again if eliminating any of these larger stragglers that are getting good light is ok with me if it means the rest of the buds will end up better. But I’ll leave them if it would harm the plant to remove large shoots at this stage.
Both plants today: