Please Help! I keep wasting seeds!

I dont feed until the ppm drop below 800/1000.(FFoF) about 5/6 weeks after transplant.

1 Like

Wow, that’s quite a set up! Bravo!

I am a beginner as well and I have problems at a different level but I’ve found seeds germinate without much fuss.

1). a. I have tried soil only method: Organic or coco-coir potting mix (my new go-to against overwatering): damp soil, fingertip hole, drop seed, cover lightly. I put them under a light- 16:8 but I’ve also kept them in dark, or on a window sill - keep moist not wet -9 out of 10 sprout. they are in the cups!
b. I have tried the paper plate method: two plates, wet paper towels in dark and warm spot- don’t let those towels dry out - 9 out of 10 sprout beautifully (once in awhile a dud) plant in medium tail down keep moist
c. I have tried the water method: drop in cup of water in dark and warm spot. 10 out of 10 sprout beautifully (never had a dud) plant tail down all in - cover loosely keep moist.

I used to use those dirt cups but I had nothing but problems. I think it’s too easy to overwater in those cups. They are recommended for growing seeds but I haven’t seen them used by anyone growing what we grow. I just changed to plastic cups like almost every grower on these sites uses. Mine are see through slightly so I can see if they are wet or not. This has helped me immensely so far.
I am still confused about when to fertilize.

I have used these above methods and have never “lost” a seed, once in awhile a dead seed pops up but that is rare.

I lose my plants later on in the growing process that is why I’m changing things up

2 Likes

Strongly recommend the fabric pots I got tired of seeing my roots circle the plastic pots and get root bound by the mid of flower.it made a big improvement on the root grouth.

5 Likes

I’m loving all the great advice! Where can I order the soil? And what kind/brand? Where can I order the bags? I already have all of the fertilizer from FF

1 Like

Not knowing where you live I went to Fox Farm web site. Under dealers I put my zip code in and found 2 places within 10 to 15 minutes from me. I use FFOF on the bottom 2/3 and FFHF on the top 1/3. I just got FF Coco Loco for my new grow

1 Like

What does HF stand for? I have FF Ocean Forest already. I found a dealer near me. Also do you use FFOF & FFHF When you transplant? I’ve heard of CoCo.

Sorry it is Fox Farm Happy Frog. Yes when i transplant I use Ocean Forest on the bottom 2/3 and Happy Frog on the top 1/3 in a 5 gal. fabric pot. I’m growing one Jack Herer ILGM auto in the Ocean forest/Happy Frog. and one Jack Herer in FF Coco loco to see which one produce’s more grams. I have a journal on it I can tag you in it if you want.

1 Like

Where can I buy the 5 gallon fabric pots?

I got mine from amazon when I first started growing. You can try a garden center near you or a Hydro shop if you have any near you

2 Likes

@Deepsix please tag me in it.

So when I first start out the seedlings in the solo cup with a sandwich bag over them, which soils should I use?

Out of the last6 that went bad, only one has survived. And this is like 2 or 3 weeks old.

@Deepsix
@Audiofreak
Look at my last 2 messages. What do you think?

I use Fox farm happy frog in my solo cups. I hate to say but she looks small for 2 weeks old. Here are 2 Jack Herer autos Im growing right now that are 2 weeks old.

1 Like

@Deepsix is this the correct soil to get?

1 Like

You can do it that way, if your soil is good.
I prefer either the 2 paper plates with a wet paper towel or in water till they sprout - fun to watch.

Once your little seeds pop with a little white root just plant in good soil. I like coco- coir because you can’t overwater.

1 Like

Yes it is

2 Likes

@Audiofreak and @Deepsix can you guys show me that wine bottle technique you talked about. Can you show pictures of it. And also show me how much perlite you would put in a solo cup to start out, and how much for 5 gallon bag after transplant. I know you said 30 percent but I need a visual on both and the wine bottle. Can’t stand to waist anymore seeds. Thanks

My last seedling is dying. Any suggestions on what the picture of the seedling means that I’m doing wrong?