Please don't laugh

Thanks, Outdoors. We FIMmed her a few weeks ago, which boosted new lateral growth. When Cannabian recommends chopping “the top off just above the second branch,” would that be from second from the top or second from the bottom?

From the top.

From the bottom actually

2 Likes

Wow, that seems pretty radical, my northern friend. You sure that wouldn’t kill it?

We bought a light and when we get delivery later today, our plan is to re-pot her and move her indoors. We don’t have a grow tent yet (we think we might build one of pvc), so in the meantime, is there any point to putting her under a light without one? Also, if we were to chop her off so radically, and replant her the same day AND expose her to this massive new input of light, I fear she’d never recover from the shock. Thoughts?

Another question: instead of topping her so dramatically, what if we did the LST thing I’ve seen where we top just the top off and bend her over? Would that also produce the same effect of chopping her so low, while keeping much of the newer, more vigorous growth?

And here’s a bonus question if you’re not sick of all the dumb questions: We also found a seed (of completely unknown origin) that we germinated and put in a pot and we’d like it to benefit from the light, too. How far from the light should we keep it? We’re well aware of the danger that it could pose to our True OG clone should the seed turn out to be male. But it could be fun (and productive), and we’d toss it at the first showing of any male genitalia.

Again, thank you for your expertise, and for not laughing.

Get the lux reader app for your phone and try to get readings of 40k-45k lux at canopy top and yea you dont need a tent you’ll just get less reflection which is just less efficiency and seedlings only need 10k lux for first week of light so just position it to that. She’s a spindly little thing so I think LST would be perfect for her

From the bottom means they would be basically chopping down the entire plant. This late in the season for an outdoor grow, I don’t think it would have time to recuperate before season ends.

I looked at your plant and was like “why does it have alternating nodes already” and then I scrolled up and saw that you bought it as a clone, so that makes sense. @gg58 I would go with your gut feeling, top the very top of the plant, 1-2 nodes down FROM THE TOP. But I dunno if I would even do that, because it has alternating nodes I’m not sure if it will even sprout two branches from the topping or if it will just sprout ONE. For sure do LST though.

Of course you should put it in light, the tent has nothing to do with that. The main reason for a tent in my humble opinion is so that you can do 12 hours light and 12 hours dark for flowering and its contained so you don’t get light leaks. It’s hard to seal the plant off from light without a tent.

Also it depends on what kind of light you bought, you should link it. Hard to say how close to put a light if you don’t know how strong the light is. I’m in seedling stage right now and have my lights 36" from the top of the plant. I just lowered it from 48". Check this handy link to light info. Light is light, regardless if you are growing in soil, coco, or hydroponic.

Don’t over feed your plant. Watch the tips of your leaves. They are starting to burn. This is cause by over fertilizing.

Between 200-400 PPFD: This is great for seedlings, clones, and mother plants.
Between 400-600 PPFD: This is great for early to late stage vegging cycles.
Between 600-900 PPFD: This is great for the flowering, fruiting, or budding stage of plants.

1 Like

I cant say for sure about @Cannabian but i would top after the second node due to the bottom two being th same height. Let the plant recover and veg under the new light for a few weeks then start doing the LST. It is more of a height after flower that is going to be his biggest ptoblem with it as it is.

I would clone eveything off the top of the plant if they were worried about the loss of time spent on the plant.

I had the assumption it was indoor, if its outdoor Im not sure Id do anything to it, its pretty late in the season to be doing anything to a plant outdoors. You could top it and stall it out right at bud set.
I would consider that a training plant and just start earlier and know we can grow better next time around.
But if this could be grown indoors, I would cut it off 2 nodes from the bottom and reset that plant, I would take the upper bit and clone it for something to do.

1 Like

Wow, such great responses. Thanks to all.

So here’s our plan: after we top her below the 2nd node from the top, we’ll transplant her the next day into a comfy 7-gallon pot filled with Fox Farms Ocean Forest with extra perlite thrown in. Then we’ll tie her down and bring her inside, whereupon she shall spend the remainder of her days under this light (thanks for the recommendation, GreenSnek) at 30 inches - according to directions - for veg, and 18-24 inches for flower. We’re building a PVC grow tent with Panda Film that should do the trick by the time we hit 12/12. And then a fan… then a… It’s kind of like when you win a goldfish in a baggie at the fair and now you have to buy an aquarium, then you’ll need a filter, then of course the pretty rocks and then… but I digress.

Thank you all again. I believe we have found a way forward through the wilderness.

1 Like

If you want to learn how to grow cannabis this is the place to be. All the information can be overwhelming I know. I almost said no to growing until I found this site. I had never grown anything before from seed. I have owned some house plants but that doesn’t count. With the help of the good folks here my plants went from this. ac1b4c2cfd9569bb31d1da362a2d0f75b7453cf3_2_666x500

To this

I still have a long way to go but I know when I need help all I have to do is ask or do some research. There are a lot of good grow journals on here and guides. I would suggest reading up and going from there. Good luck!

Beautiful work, Jackie!

Yes, we’re really enjoying the learning curve, which is quite daunting. But we know we’re in great hands, and if we don’t nail it this grow, there’s always the next one!

inexpensive grow box can be made from 1" pvc and reflective material. buy good lights or it’s a waste of time n effort.
your plant is starved for sunlight, root growing space and nutes.
Happy Frog will feed n give good growth till the 3rd month.
Fox Farms products are good.
Keep in mind most plants started from outdoor stock. So, unless it’s 100+ degrees…outside, plant should be ok.
Plant will get droopy as it gets hot…small amount of water would be a “drink of water”. Suggest you increase chances of a good harvest: buy fem’d seeds, plant more than you expect to harvest(some won’t grow well), cull the weak/slow grow.
Keep in mind: what is desired result? what makes that happen