Plastic bins for storage?

I never expected to have this problem so early in my growing journey… The 19 ounces of bud from the big Harlequin clone has filled 5 half gallon jars, 5 quart jars, and 1 gallon jar. My question is, can dried buds be stored in plastic bins? I seem to recall someone storing his buds like that, but I can’t find the reference.

The Grove people sell bin liners like for trash cans, but I haven’t heard much talk about using plastic for curing or storage otherwise.

3 Likes

If it’s stamped HDPE it’s a good material. I did that with a big rubbermaid tote exactly a year ago. It did dry out too much but took a long time and the tote was getting low by that time

2 Likes

Oh yeah and I still have about two ounces left. Last couple months its been in big coffee tins. I mix it with my newer stuff when I roll. It kept me smoking for a whole year! Havent bought buds since Oct '21

3 Likes

I store everything in 5 gallon hd buckets with the thin lids from the paint section. We go through it pretty quick but i have some a few months now w lg boveda and its stays awsome.

5 Likes

The husband just found one of our old beer brewing buckets with those letters on it. That will be just the thing for the next monster harvest we have :wink:

3 Likes

We’ll have to check those out. We have a lot of the regular 5 gallon buckets with the lids that are hard to get off.

3 Likes

Awesome problem to have. I hope someday this will be our problem.
Three part answer, for storage in plastic bins.
Part 1, Yes storage would work, theoretically.
Part 2. Forum posters mention using bins for storage and some warn about storage problems created when using plastic bins. Smell for plastic or Contamination of the whole batch.
Part 3. Jars limit quantity destruction if contamination occurs. Jars provide individual storage for method experimentation. JARS, JARS, and some bigger jars, my vote.

2 Likes

I use gamma seal lids on food safe 5 gallon buckets.

3 Likes

I have one of their clear Wicket Bags for my trim. I’ve got a solid 10lbs of trim and larf in one zipped up and sitting on my office floor. It smells amazing every time I open it. I’d go that route if you wanna store em in totes - just pick up some of the smaller clear bags from Grove.

I think mine is the 5 Gallon Wicket Bag - $1.29 for a real big sack of trim.

5 Likes

Makes sense for fermenting and holding food grade, High Density PolyEthylene will hold about any chemical without degrading or releasing it’s surface. HDPE’s will not transfer odors if clean. The word “plastic” is really flimsy these days… LDPE will spread and harbour smells (baggies). Any other polymer is probably not good.

3 Likes

Wow! That sounds like a good solution! At least it would hold the harvest until I can get it sorted into either Grove bags or jars.

Next Summer I hope to grow at least one Mazar-i-Sharif. A friend told me yesterday that those suckers grow 18 feet tall! If that is true and we get a crop at all, we will need something like that to keep it all under control.

3 Likes

Sounds like the kinda thing you start early indoors? Head start on the giant

1 Like

We hope to get some sprouted in March or April for planting out in May. Then it will have the rest of the summer and early fall to do its thing. If it makes it past the humidity in July we will be good to go :slight_smile:

PNW (my area) late May or better, timed Flag Day.
Taking advantage of longer tent time, before evicting to the outdoors.
6-22 Mother Nature will start the summer flip to flower, for you.
Not sure if placing flowering female outdoors before 6-22 would induce re-veg.

50-one ounce bags, on sale, cheaper than glass jars and bounce better than glass jars, for sure.

2 Likes

Tent being closed.
Ladies de-nuded, and going outdoors, for survival, re-veging.
Some already, into re-veg, intentionally, because summer 23 travels required.

1 Like