Plants vegging slow

Hello.
New to the forum and I’m a new grower. I grew 2 plants to harvest (my very first run) and took clones of them. My first two plants turned out alright. They were very short and seemed to grow very slowly.
The clones seem to be doing the same thing.
Any tips on why they could be growing so slowly? Clones are now 1 week old (3 weeks counting clone time) 9 weeks in total age (from when mothers were started as seeds. They are about 12 inches (30 cm) tall. When transferred from clone area to pots plants were about 6 inches tall.

1 Like

Help us to help you:

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed:
• Method:
• Vessels:
• PH
• Indoor or outdoor
• Light system:
• Temps: Day, Night
• Humidity: Day, Night:
• Ventilation system:
• AC, heat, Humidifier,
• Co2:
• Current grow stage:
• Hours of light/dark:

Pictures

2 Likes

Strain: bag seed (supposed to be Blueberry haze)
Method: Soil grown (cloned in hydro transferred to 1 gal pots at 4 weeks in cloned)
Vessels: ??
Water/ Nutes ph 6.3-6.6 soil ph close to same
Indoor 4x4x8 ft tent
Lights: 1 x king pro 1000w full spec w/ IR and UV
1 x 400w hps
4 x 50w 4 ft light bars (5k for veg 2700k for
Flower switch them out) used for side light
Temps: Day 78-82 Night 65-75
Humidity: Day 50ish Night 60ish
Ventilation: ghetto (I use an ac on high fan to exchange air along with a 12 in. Walmart fan to exhaust
Ac: yes kicks on at 80 (unit mention above)
Hear: yes kicks on at 60 ( small space heater inside tent
Co2: none
Current grow stage: 1 week in veg after 4 weeks in cloner (mother plant would be 9 weeks)
Lights: 24hr
Nutes: current 1/4 strenght Root Farm (4-0-1) once per 2 weeks (did it once a week on mothers. Very slight tip burn so doing every 2 weeks on these and will dial in closer as I go)
Hope the info helps u help me :grin:
Can’t post pics atm but will tomorrow

I was wrong in the nutes. They are given once a week (mother plants were given twice a week and tips burned so backed off on these clones to start)
I do have a humidifier also
If any other info is needed please let me know.
Tyvm for any and all feedback.

There’s plenty more qualified people on here that will chime in soon, but right off the bat I’d use 18/6 or 16/8 lighting plants need rest time, you’ll be amazed at the growth it helps. I don’t use liquid bottled nutes, I use home made nutrient teas with little to no salt. With FoxFarm line soil. Gl bro

Edit: in general you should wait a few wks before feeding nutes, they’re small and don’t need it. They can supply their own for a few weeks.

Ahh ok. I’ll switch out to 18/6 and see how that does. I would def consider using homemade nutes like teas and such but idk how to make any and was scared of messin up and killin my plants.
On the waiting a few weeks part do I still need to wait since they are clones and it’s been 5 weeks since was taken from mother (4 weeks in cloner 1 week in veg)? That’s why I started 1/4 dose nutes or should I treat them like they was seedlings once they come out the cloner?

Sorry for the lateness on the pics been pretty busy.
Anyways here they are along with pic of the set up.
I forgot to add I also have a Mars aqua Led. It’s full spectrum but leans heavily toward the blue side where the king leans toward the red side.
image|375x500

Apologize for the no so good pics but was in a hurry. I’ll try n see if I can snap some tomorrow with the lights off so you all can see better. Tyvm for any and all info. Btw the small black sensor on the stick in the center is a wired humidistat sensor. The actual reading u get from outside that tent ( soo can quickly check temp/rh current lows and highs without disturbing anything.

I dont think nutes are an important issue at this time… There is somthing else going on with your plant… I think its your soil conditions… Your leaves are drooping on “all” plants… Are you over watering them… Look for distortion\stretch on the leaves…

I don’t think I’m overwatering. I water about every 3-4 days (when soil is dry about an inch deep) or I wait till leaves start drooping to water. The lower leaves started yellowing a bit and the center veins in the leaves (almost all of them) are reddish purple. Not sure exactly what’s going on. Will post a close up of the leaves within the next hours. Please help not sure what’s going on. Only my second grow.

Ok. So I reported today into 8 gallonish (12” x 12”) fabric pots (was in 5” x 4” fabric pots). Not sure what gallon those were (.75 gallon maybe). Used some great white when I potted. RO water ph to 6.5. I switched to fox farm ocean soil also. Removed as much of the old soil as I could with out messing with the roots. Which looked very good nice white thick roots. Will post some close up pics of the plants and leaves.

Gonna yah a few people I seen giving out some good advice around the forum. Maybe they can help me out a bit. @Southerngal @Myfriendis410 @dbrn32 @repins12 @kettle @Dieselgrower
Hope you guys can help.

1 Like

@Kamdo Go to this and see if this helps. It’s early am and getting ready for work, I am still shaking off the cob webs in my brain. I will look more in depth when I got my sh** a little more together. I hope this helps. If you don’t find the problem you are having let me know and I will tag a few people :v: Also try @garrigan62, he is very knowledgeable in this area

2 Likes

Hi @Kamdo! Thanks for the tag! I’m new myself and not really good at diagnostics. One of these guys will get you sorrows tho!! Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

@Kamdo ,

Looks like you have " NITROGEN DEFICENIE

HERE IS A COULPE OF PICS AND THEN THE FIX

th2XV71QYK
thJ9CM2H1T

The reason for this is, because a newer grower will use a chemical nutrient
most of the time and listen to the directions on the box. This is a NO NO!
Depending on the age of the plant, size, strain and soil mixture you are using
also has a factor. There is no set guideline when using nutrients, but I can
give you a good example to start out with so you will not burn your plants.
It’s always good to start out light, rather than feed heavy. Remember you can
always add more later, but can not take out when you added to much. Chemical
and Organic nutrients differ. Chemical nutrients are more readily available
and can burn way easier than organics can. Organics are easier for a newer
grower to use, most of the time, and lessen your chances of burning your plants.
I recommend not using more than ½ teaspoon of chemical nutrients per gallon
of water. Unless the plants are very big 5 feet+, then it’s safe to use 1
teaspoon per gallon of water. When your plants first emerge you want to wait
at least 2 weeks before feeding your plants, unless your plants are in a soiless
mixture, like pro mix. The cotyledons (its first set of round looking leaves) are
what give the plant its food until they get the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves. If
your plants are in a soiless mixture and are over the first week of age; you can
feed a weak amount of nutrients, like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water. Soiless
mixtures are different from soil plants and soiless plants need to be fed more
when using this mixture.

I also recommend not feeding more than 1 time a week if using ½ teaspoon per
gallon of water for chemical nutrients. You can feed every other day,( this
goes for chemical and organics) at very weak amounts, but doing this may contribute
to over watering, and for that I do not recommend feeding more than once a week.
Some people feed 2 times a week using like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water… Use 1/4
strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from the 2nd feeding when
using chemical nutrients. It’s very easy to overdo it. When using organics, depending
on which one you’re using, I recommend using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When the
plant gets bigger you can work your way up to using more nutrients when the plants
get bigger.

As for soil mixtures, there are a lot of different kinds of soil’s out there. Using a
rich soil mixture is not recommended for seedlings. Seedlings that are under 2
weeks of age you do not want to start them in rich soil, using a seed starter
mixture is one of the safer ways. Seed starter mixtures are weak in nutrients,
so it will not burn the seedlings but will provide them enough to get past seedling
stage, but the downside is you have to transplant into a better soil mixture after 2
weeks of age. If you decide to start with this mixture, do not put your seedlings
into a big pot. Start them out with using a cup or a small pot.

Nutrient Burn causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. They can also be brown
and twisted and crispy looking. Depending on the severity it can show many different
symptoms and shows on lower part of the plant when its young, at older stages it
can move anywhere on the plant. The burn will creep into the center of the leaf
causing it to curl and dry up. It depends on the specific nutrient that is in excess.
For example, too much nitrogen causes leaves to curl downwards and too much potassium
creates brown spots near the edge of the leaf. Either way, nutrient burn may potentially
kill your plant or lead to it having a strong chemical taste.

To fix the problem when you have Nutrient burn, you want to flush out the plants
with lots of water.

Soil

Soil should be flushed with lots of water, Use 3 gallons of water per one gallon of soil.
Flush very thoroughly, after plant recovers usually after a week, you can resume using
nutrients after a week or a week 1/2. When you flush your soil, you flush everything out,
a lot of nutrients go with it, including the soil nutrients.

Hydro `````````````````
Change out the reservoir, flush out any lines and clean out the entire system and
replace with plain water for the first hour, then start out with lower parts per
million (PPM)
Its good to clean out your system every 2 weeks and replace with fresh water and
nutrients. Some people change everything every week!

Ahh, nute burn! Stop this by not adding to much chemical/organic nutrients to your
water,foliar feeding. DONT feed more than 1 time a week unless using weak amount,
use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from then on when
using chemical nutrients. Its very easy to overdo it. Causes leaf tips to appear
yellow or burnt. NEVER give nutrients to plants that are under 2 weeks of age, at
this age the soil nutrients are enough to suppliment them untill 2 weeks of age or
more depending on how good your soil is. Using ferts before 2 weeks will almost
likley kill your plants.

2 Likes

@Kamdo. Sorry I thought that I had posted this link earlier
https://ilgmforum.com/t/charts-graphs-and-pictures/37476

1 Like

You certainly have some nutrient issues but, if you have been trying to grow in tiny pots (<3 gal) then you can expect small plants. The plants can only get as large as the root structure can support. When they get root bound, they really slow down on growth and start to have nutrient issues unless your really keep on top of things. pH gets out of wack and then the trouble starts.

Getting them into the larger pots with new soil may solve a lot of your problems.

Happy growing.

1 Like

Thank you all so very much. That link is super awesome. Great stuff in there tyvm for that one @repins12 thank you also for the info @garrigan62 very helpful. Yes pots were probably a bit to small. I didn’t wanna transplant and cause more stress on plants in their weakened state but appears that’s what I needed to do from the beginning. I’ll keep everyone updated and post pics. Again tyvm for all the feed back and help. You guys and girls are great.

1 Like

Looks like Will and the others have you covered. Feel free to let me know if I can help with anything else though.