Plants have almost zero trichomes at all

Two of the five plants that were successful (you can look at earlier pix to see progress) are getting mature. But they have almost zero trichomes at all. I use a jeweler’s glass to check for ripeness and such things. I’m wondering what’s up with that. The stigmas are fresh but some are turning. There should be trichomes, right?

Are they going to develop? What if they don’t. I’ve never seen this before.

1 Like

Week 3 to 5 you get your trics heavy

3 Likes

It’s a bit early to be seeing much. Give it a few more weeks. You should see some sugar.

3 Likes

No worries ny friend. Some strains will take a little longer to develop. And make sure you are useing the correct light. 600 0r better

4 Likes

These plants are Gold Leaf autoflowers. The 2 biggest plants are already at week 9. Almost no trichomes. Week 9.
I’m wondering if genetics is problem and they are never going to develop. There are plenty of buds, as you can see, but no trichomes even on the tiniest bud leaves.
The other three plants (at different stages) are also from the same Gold Leaf seeds. The leaves are much bigger on the younger plants–they are replacement seeds because the germination rate on the first order was so poor. I will see if they have trichome development in a few weeks.
Don’t I need trichomes for good pot?

1 Like

Your plants are right on schedule. On average autoflowers will be in the vegetative state for about 8 weeks. You appear to be in preflower stage right now. In the next 2 weeks you should see buds, pistils and sugar leaves forming, followed by trichomes. The predicted amount of flowering time for Bergman’s Gold Leaf is 8 weeks. Realistically that will be more like 10 weeks. Start counting after the plant finishes its preflower stretch.

1 Like

How do you call that “preflowers” ? Looks full on flower to me

3 Likes

Preflowers are the burst of thick, long white pistils that appear just before the stretch begins. Most people consider flowering to start when the stretch finishes and actual bud production becomes visible.
It’s pretty hard to tell with only that one close up photo(or more details as to recent growth rate), but that appears to be the stage that plant is at right now.

1 Like

I know, right? No frost on these at all and pistils are starting to turn brown.

I don’t even see any buds in those photos. Where are you looking for the trichomes at?
Have your plants already experienced the preflower stretch?
Can you provide more/closer/better photos?

I just realized this may need some clarification. When most vendors say “8 weeks” that means 8 weeks of flowering, not 8 weeks total from start to finish. That is also under perfect conditions, so in general one should expect an additional 2 weeks’ time.

Here’s some example photos for you, @kathyv

This plant just began preflower about 24 hours ago. It should start to grow remarkably over the next few days.

This one should be close to finishing up preflower. It has grown about an inch a day for the last 6 days.

And here is a mature cluster of buds and pistils - this is what I would put my loupe on to inspect the trichomes.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Mine must be in late preflower stage?

2 Likes

Their still babies. Not to worry trichs will come!

2 Likes

By the way @kathyv , your plants look really good!

1 Like

U got tops without buttons still be patient

1 Like

Week 9 from sprout is not week 3 to 5 of flower nessecarily inan auto

1 Like

How did this all turn out?