Plants dying help!

Hi there,
I don’t know what the issue is here but the plants have started dying (they were at the beginning of flowering)…
I initially thought it was light burn so moved them up but the damage was done. Checked the pH and it was high-- 7.0. Added some white vinegar and it’s down to 6.2… anything else I can do to salvage these?

Thanks! IMG_1051(1) IMG_1052(1)

1 Like

Looks like nute burn, what’s your PPM?

One tank says 3.5 the other 3.3… not sure if I’m measuring correctly…

Yeah, that seems pretty high but I’m not a hydro guy, see if we can get one to help out. Calling @Myfriendis410

Those plants got nuked. EC of 3.3 is around 1,800 ppm and is WAAAAY too much for hydro. I do not know if they will recover.

PH meters need to maintain calibration, TDS should be no higher than 2.0 and 1.7 would be about right. Those leaves will not recover FYI: they are dead.

1 Like

ugh. that’s what I thought. How the heck could I have done that to them? Nutrients?

Yeah too much nutes usually, what are you using and how much did you use?

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Of course, thanks! This is the 3rd time I’ve grown and this one came out of the blue!

So about a week ago the leaves started curling up and drying. I raised the lights. Then I added some Cannnazym thinking it was a root issue. No change.
Then I added some FoxFarm Open Sesame to each vessel. Plants got worse.
So I emptied them and rinsed off the roots, refilled with Brita filtered water and added Foxfarm Tiger Bloom. Worse.
Tested the pH level of water yesterday and it has typically been around 6.2 with a Brita filter here in Paris and closer to 7 unfiltered. But with the Brita filter it is now 7.0. I don’t know if I am using the calibration correctly but 3.5 more or less but if that is way off what would do that? I know they have been adding more chlorine to the water here since the Covid crisis…

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed

Royal Queen Seeds, Sherbert and Critical
Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
Hydroponics-- Aerogarden Farm
Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
2 buckets
PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
Indoor or Outdoor
Indoor
Light system
LED
Temps; Day, Night
75/55
Humidity; Day, Night
45/40
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
small fan
AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
No
Co2; Yes, No
No

1 Like

I hated to see that because it’s pretty easy to happen in hydro. It might be a good idea to acquire the means to verify calibration of both PH and EC, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

I like hydro but generally if something bad happens, it happens pretty quickly. Best bet when you see an issue like that starting is to do a rez change and just run PH’d water for a while. They might recover, hopefully do and if photos you can just veg until large enough.

When you do resume supplements, start low, like .5 to .7 EC and try to get your solution closer to about 5.8 PH.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your reply! The crux here is that pH levels are high (and I need to be very careful with nutrients)… would you recommend sticking with filtered water and then using a pH down solution or trying to find distilled water?
When you say run PHd water what do you mean?
Considering I have to sacrifice the pups this evening and start again sniff sniff…

1 Like

Those plants may recover! The only reason I’d give up on em is if they are autoflowering.

Can you acquire an inexpensive reverse osmosis system? That will get you comparable to distilled and would be on the premises. I bought one for less than $60 and have used the crap out of it. The thing is if your water has high dissolved solids it cuts back on what you can add to your water to feed plants as it’s additive. For example: my tap water comes out at 1.0 EC or 550 ppm. I want to veg my plants at 650 or so ppm so 1.2 or so. I can only add enough nutes to bring me to THAT solution concentration which makes for a very weak feeding. However; with distilled or R/O there is nothing there so you provide ALL of the salts in solution and can target the plants’ needs better.

What you can’t do is start with 1.0 EC tap water and add another 1.2 EC of nutes because, to the plant, that’s an EC of 2.2 which is just too high.

1 Like

Thanks!
I’d love to… I was thinking of getting one anyway to get rid of all of the junk in the water.
Not sure if this will make sense to you but this is the water composition in this part of Paris. It’s in French but I think it’s very similar…

1 Like

That’s a lot of junk lol. Most of it gypsum probably.