Plants die off before 2 months, Grand Daddy Purple

From a fellow grower: I’m a novice and cant seem to get by the first 2 months. My plants never mature. They start dying off systematically.

The first few months they are perfect, then something goes terribly wrong. They are grown in tents. LED lights correct soil…ph on and on and on. Then either die off the bud production is minimal at best… 4x4 tent has 9 plants and my 4x8 tent has 15 plants.

Strain: Purple Grand Daddy, however, it doesnt really matter. They grow terrific for the first 4-8 weeks and then systematically die off or bud production is poor.
Type (fem/auto/reg): i don know, purchased from you.
Climate (indoor/outdoor): Outdoors in a 3 4x4 tents and one 4x8 tent.
Medium (soil/hydro/details): Virgo soil. Excellent mix.
pH of runoff or solution in reservoir: Planted in 3 gallon bio bags (best you can get).
Nutrient mix strength (EC/TDS): Use Fox farms liquids as recommended by the manufacture.
Light type & schedule: 4x4 tents have a 1 LED and 4x8 have 2 LED’s This is recommended by the manufacture. Best money can buy. 1500 W with veg and bloom switches.
Timers are set as follows. new plant until 18 on 6 off. budding stage 12 on 12 off.
Temperatures day & night: I live in florida, USA summer it get very warm in tent can reach 92 F and 78 at night. Winter is not known yet.
Humidity day & night: I keep humidity at an average of 65-75 %
Ventilation: I keep two fans blowing dat and night that are wired into the tent system. Plenty of moving air. During the days to keep it cooler in the tent I open them up.
A/C none
Humidifier: none
De-humidifier: none
Co2: none
My plants are perfect, green robust perfect, until about 4-5 weeks then they start to fail. The leaves start turning yellow and the plant starts to die. My controlled ph is 6.3-6.8 I control this via a ph up and down solution. The Fox Farms is mixed to the recommended OEM amounts. I keep both the veg and bloom lights on through out the cycle.

1 Like

I would definitely say its Nutrient burn. Be sure to check the run off ppm.

1 Like

Plants are getting nuked by excess supplements.

First: if you supplement you HAVE to monitor runoff TDS. If you don’t know what’s going in and out you will inevitably have issues. Also; the published FF grow schedules use a different scale so if you do go by their TDS numbers while using a different scale you will burn your plants.

No idea about the soil used but basically any properly crafted cannabis soil will NOT need supplements until at least flower.

Light schedule, temps, humidity, type of lighting and wattage draw from the wall would be helpful to know. How you are measuring PH and TDS is important data too. What your watering practices are as well. Get a runoff TDS and post that. I guarantee it will be very high.

9 Likes

I’d recommend you back off on the number of plants growing in the 4x4. I grow 4 in my 4x4 and have very good yields. The plants like to have room to stretch out. Can you tell us more about your lights?

3 Likes

Exit exhaust? 2 fans will only push around the hot air. Needs a way to pull hot air out and bring fresh air in.

3 Likes

What ph up down you use? After feeding with certain ph up :point_down:owns it kills of beneficial bacteria in the soils just throwing that out there++

1 Like

My run off is about 800 900 ppm im in 3 weak flower. @Myfriendis410 whats should runoff be at just curious im in ffof I run all there nutes. I feed everyday little with a two day water then two day dry out then repeat.

Double check to see if there’s a tiny X10 indicator: I think your numbers are (or at least, were in the 4 to 5K range at some point) something I’d like to double check before moving forward.

If you are seeing that value then you are actually in a good place. I would not feed over 1,000 ppm at this point and would need to supplement at every or every other watering. Mix your nutes to that target TDS and if you go over just add water to bring it down. PH as normal and apply.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 ur right I gave wrong reading im at 1200 ppm in. Out 4400 my mistake. Ty for the advice. Just wana make sure since Ive been growing on my own just with my own research. Wana make sure im doing things right. I shoukd add i like to fee alittle heavy if i see anything i do just water. Im doing things right it seems

This is why you are having problems. You might see numbers like this in early veg if you were to do a runoff test (not necessary with cannabis-optimized soils like Fox Farms etc.) but at this point in flower the plant needs less N and a moderate dose of P and K until harvest. When a plant is in a container there will be a point where you will almost certainly have to supplement. It is really best to do that while using a PH and TDS meter. It’s not a hard concept; it’s just so tempting to want to help 'em along haha.

2 Likes

Im confused? @Myfriendis410. Im having no issues

are u refereing to my statement above 4400ppm? My ppm is 1500 out im retarded today just did a test a slur after it was sitting 24 hrs 6.47 ph tad high but im ok I think.

1 Like

It is really important to follow the Fox Farms feeding schedule, especially the part about flushing. Salt buildups cause lockout. If grower doesn’t have feeding schedule he can download one from Fox Farms web site.

Also, there are inadequate amounts of cal-mag in Fox Farms Trio. Mid flowering is where I see the deficiency showing up if not aggressive enough with the cal-mag.

Both of the above can contribute to what the original poster was complaining of

3 Likes

I don’t believe that @Growcoast is the original poster…
But as usual , great advice…
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

@Racer2037 here are your answers on this post

2 Likes

Yeah I figured it out in my stoner brain lol. Hopefully OP learned something.

2 Likes

All good advice however I see a bigger problem.
I think you have introduced a fungal infection into your soils from reusing bamboo stakes.
Anytime you see a white stem at the base of your plant you have to be concerned.
And fungus will do exactly what we see in your plants.
Look at the white areas the arrows point to on your plant and the stake.

12 Likes

No run off. I alternate between fertilizer and water. This is an every other day process. Your suggesting less fertilizer?

Thank you for the comment.

@Bulldognuts this is the post

2 Likes

Do you have a loupe or a microscope? Just to cover all bases, I’d inspect any sick leaves for bugs. And soil fungus could be a problem with the bamboo as another poster mentioned.

3 Likes

I had the same issue …manafed to getnto end but once i added cal mag i was much greener much longer …also becareful to not over feed and most calmags got nitrogen so gradually intoduce it if there not on it from a young age u can burn with any kinda of npk

2 Likes