Plants come to my place to die

Hi. I just started my first seed (outside in a HUGE pot) a couple days ago, Amnesia Haze Auto. I got a late start but I’m hoping that will be forgiven because I live in the south. I’m still SUPER paranoid about it but I got tired of depending on others for weed so here I am. I have a black thumb and absolutely NO idea what I’m doing but I’ve read enough to be dangerous. So dangerous, that I watered my seedling yesterday because it “felt” like the thing to do; I discovered afterwards that seeds can and will drown. Oops! I started the seed in a glass of water out on the back deck in the sun. After less than 24 hours, the tail popped out. It was TINY and barely sticking out of the shell. I read that the tails are so fragile that they can break off, so I decided just to go ahead and plant the thing to be on the safe side. I only started ONE seed and later that evening I thought to myself, what if it doesn’t survive? I decided to start a second seed the next day as a “backup” and put it in a much smaller starter plant size thing, which my dog promptly ate so I’m back to the one lone seedling in the BIG A$$ pot. Seriously, the size of the pot I planted this thing in alone would get me kicked off the site.

Like any newbie, I’ve checked the little seedling about every 10-15 minutes. I move it around in a wheel barrel in the back yard chasing the sun as the day goes on. Go ahead and laugh, its ok. The more I read on this site, the more I face palm myself. I’m inpatient, what can I say? Anyway, the little seed didn’t drown, in fact, it actually sprouted the day after I planted it knuckle deep, in very wet soil. At least I thought what I saw poking out the center of the dirt in my BAP (big a$$ pot) was the seedling … it very well could’ve been a part of the soil from what I could tell, but I chose to believe that was my tiny little singular seed sprouting. That was Monday. Fast forward to today and I have confirmation that what I thought I saw yesterday is indeed, without question, my little one singular seedling. It looks healthy, I will surely kill it at some point and try again in the Spring.

If you’re still with me, here’s my first question of many. We’ve had excellent weather here down yonder all summer long. Naturally, as soon as I get around to planting my little seed, the weather broke and we’re finally out of the upper 90’s with staggering humidity. It’s BEAUTIFUL outside, mid-upper 80’s, much lower humidity, and a slight breeze. Tomorrow things are expected to change and bring some storms over the next several days. My little seed has only popped out of the dirt yesterday. She’s getting lots of sunshine today but tomorrow, all bets are off. Should I put something over it? I was thinking of cutting up a 2-liter bottle of Sprite and making like a dome to cover it and protect the little thing, or I could bring it in on the screened in porch, stick it under the deck? Any advice is welcome and thanks for taking the time to read this long first post! Have a great day!

2 Likes

Here are pics from yesterday and today. :grin:

You definitely want to shelter her from the elements!

1 Like

Definitely a good idea to put her under a dome to help keep that humidity up. She looks real wet .they don’t need much at this stage just damp soil and a lot of humidity until they get some good roots under them :v:

1 Like

The soil is wet for sure! I’m not going to water it anymore for a while. Do you think the Sprite dome idea will be sufficient? Or should I bring it on the porch completely out of the weather so the surrounding soil doesn’t get wet further? Also, here’s another pic I just took. LOL

1 Like

Yes the soda bottle dome is A very popular Solution for make shift domes. I would def keep the soil from getting any more moisture for a bit .

1 Like

I would bring it inside when the storm starts if you have the luxury of doing so.

Also, how many hours of sunlight are you getting a day ? Not sure you still have time if you’re talking about down south US

1 Like

Don’t use the green sprite bottles. Make sure it’s a clear one so your not filtering out light.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I’ll put the Sprite bottle dome on it tonight and bring it in on the porch.

It’s getting sun from about 9am - 7pm or so. We get good sun out back (when it’s not raining). I chose this auto flowering plant to start with because I read that auto’s don’t depend on the change of weather patterns to put them into “flower mode”, and that they can still be planted outside in August and successfully harvested in November (hopefully). I’m in S.C. and the weather here does get cold but it’s not uncommon to be in the 70’s at Christmas. I’d love to get a small starter stash from my first grow but with only the one lonely seed, I’m prepared for disappointment and will begin again in the Spring.

Good to know, thank you! I didn’t think of that but luckily, this Sprite bottle is clear. Should I poke holes in the top for air or no?

Yeah a few small ones will help air exchange . I usually lift my domes twice a day to let some fresh co2 in

1 Like

I see well hopefully your BAP isn’t toooooo big lol and you can move her inside if it gets too cold at night.

1 Like

Water farther out. A ring around it. Does the roots better. And welcome.

1 Like

The BAP is heavy! That’s why I put it in the wheel barrel to make it easier to move around, however, it will not be easy getting it into the porch. I was thinking about putting it into a smaller pot for easier transport since I have to move it around a lot (chasing the sun, and to get it out of weather, temps, etc). I could scoop the dirt out from way underneath it and put it in something smaller without disturbing it. Should I do that now or leave it in the BAP and wheel barrel? :joy:

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

He’s growing auto so hours of light won’t matter

Im all out of like so if my like did t come thru this is the best thing ive read since well this is the best stor y ive ever read. Dude im still pissing my pants. Omg i cant get a grip. This was my wife with 5 gallon buckets when she first got seeds going and had no lights no nothing and cant really grow out where we live. Lol. She was in the yard when sum would break and moving them about every 2 hours for a week finally said F it and found 2 cheap lights online. She got tired of moving buckets and i wasnt doing it. I would have went to the dispensary first. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m not referring to the flip from Veg to Flower. I’m referring to the amount of time under light to further photosynthesis and growth. Unless he plans on bringing it under a light after it gets dark.

2 Likes

Depends, How big actually is the BAP?

1 Like

@Mark0427 I’m so glad it made someone laugh! I looked ridiculous lugging that BAP all over the yard. LOL.

My screen name is actually after my dog that ate the 2nd seed. I’m female, my dog is Oliver … he’s the man of the house. LOL. And I would’ve replied sooner but being a new member, I had to wait so many hours before it would let me post again.

@Greenthumb443 I did end up scooping from under the little seedling and putting it into a much smaller, more manageable size pot for mobility purposes, it’s up on the screened in porch now basking in the sunshine. I was worried about the weather today but so far, it’s only sprinkled and the sun has been peaking out throughout the day.

I am worried that I started it too late in the season and how much sunlight it will get as the days get shorter. From what I’ve read, the auto flower can go from seed to harvest in as little as 10 weeks, maybe a little longer. That would put me in the middle of November (potentially). I’ve read more about the watering, etc. and the soil is still damp so I don’t intend to water again for several more days and then I will just give her a tiny bit and water in a circle around the seedling and not directly on it. So far, I think it’s doing pretty good all things considered. I’m encouraged by how fast it popped up out of the soil. Very fast!!!

Do any of you have any recommendations as far as when I should bring it inside? I’m in SC and we won’t get a freeze until after Christmas if even then. Do you think it’s getting enough hours of sunlight or should I go ahead and purchase a grow light for the evening hours now to supplement the light exposure? I don’t want it to flower too early. I can buy one of those lights now and have it on the way so I can put it under the light at night time. Any grow light recommendations? Any and all advice to help get my one tiny little lonely seed to harvest is much appreciated. This is my very first seed, I would be so stoked to get something off my first grow to get me through the winter until Spring.

Thanks to all who’ve taken the time to read my post and offer their opinions. :slight_smile:

4 Likes