Plants are turning yellow and I can't figure it out

These plants are 6 week old White Widow autoflowers grown indoors in soil filled buckets under two Unit Farm LED, UFS 3000w lamps set at 18hrs on and 6 off. The temperature is constant 68° to 70°F with no ventilation or CO2. The pH is problematic here because it is very base reading 8.4 at the tap. I try to adjust it down with white vinegar before i water the plants, but if buffers itself back up in a matter of hours. I use a digital pH meter. I assume the illness my plants are suffering is pH related so I have watered them with R/O filtered water and distilled water. The plants seem to look worse and I fear I may end up losing them. This is my very first grow and I would appreciate any help you could suggest.

3 Likes

A couple of things… Vinegar is what I use, but must be mixed and used. Otherwise you have to do it again. What nutes are you using? And do you use Cal-mag?

3 Likes

Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

3 Likes

Soil, ppm , ph

You know what your doing wrong just adjust as necessary

If your using tap water it has some basic nutrients in there you’ll have to add to the r/o distilled water

Know your input, keep a record of it!!

(helpful to know where your going when you know where you been)

Re-dial in using the new ro / distilled water, check its ph after adding nutrients

Only ph something before it going into the plants. Wasteful to do it hours before , or before adding nutrients. Only adds salts and chemicals to your base

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Buckster

If you could fill out a support ticket it will assist people in helping you out

Experienced community members and expert staff will be better informed and more capable of providing a more informed answer.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto)
-Age of plant/what week of flower
-Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, what brand of soil
Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
-Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, fabric pots
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
-Method used to measure PH and TDS
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other
-Actual wattage draw of lights
-Current Light Schedule
-Temps; Day, Night
-Humidity; Day, Night
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
-Co2; Yes, No

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other?
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)
-Temperature of reservoir
-TDS of nutrient solution
-Amount of air to solution

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner

Thanks!

3 Likes

@Buckster Welcome to the forums!! There’s a ton of amazing people here honestly!

Looks like they are definitely needing some attention. I’m no expert, and this is my first grow, but as the mentor above said more info is needed.

Personally I’d like to know what medium are you growing in? Be specific (like I’m using Happy Frog Fox Farms soil) and what types of containers as well.

Medium is important so we can figure out pH issues as well!

2 Likes

I started adding “brand of soil” to the support tickets I throw up. I completely agree with you, as “organic soil” doesn’t tell us much.

4 Likes

@AfgVet Yup! This is my first grow and it’s been a STRUGGLE, but super rewarding thanks to all of you around here helping my journal so far :sweat_smile: Like took me awhile to understand difference even between FF HF and the Ocean one :sweat_smile:

And then there’s nute schedules, differences between bottle label feed instructions and official schedules (likes seriously, I’m not putting 4 tablespoons of FF Big Bloom per gallon according to the bottle :rofl::rofl:)

So much to learn, and always fun. Let’s get this man some help! :grin::grin:

Only people I know who could offer assistance are just a couple who’ve helped me

@Covertgrower @GreenJewels @PurpNGold74

There’s a lot more around here though

4 Likes

I started with the Bergman “vegetation” fertilizer and then this happened, so I stopped feeding to see if that is the problem. I am new to this and a friend told me to use MiracleGrow potting soil in the mix. Do you think the could have been a mistake (it has an analysis of .21 - .11 - .16)

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Time released nutrients just released on your girls

1 Like

@Buckster

OH NO MR BILL!! :sweat_smile: You used the no-no word :rofl:

Miracle-gro tends to be a curse word to a lot of people here. I actually have a buddy who’s doing his first grow using Gro, and his plants are HUUUUGE, but not flowering.

Miracle-gro is like a one size fits all chemical fertilizer, which from my understanding and knowledge so far doesn’t really fit the bull for individual life stages of the cannabis plant.

Have you read through a lot of the grow Bible and trouble shooting guides here yet?

2 Likes

Tell that friend join the forum and learn with ya. No more MG for the foreseeable future (ever lol).

PH…. 8.4 is a problem. Big problem.

You said you used Bergman’s Veg nutrient. Did you check or adjust the pH of this solution.

3 Likes

Thank You for the good advice! Identifying the problem for sure is the first step to remedy it. Now I know where to focus my attention.

4 Likes

This is the MG issue. Its not a BAD soil for weed. Its just far less controllable. And knowing and adjusting your soil and nutrients available in ur soil is vital when growing Reefer. MG is normally Nitrogen heavy. And in vegetative state, the plants need alot of N. But once u go into flower, the N needs drop and PK is required. Alot of MG soils are still Nitrogen loaded and there’s NOTHING you can do about it. Flushing just releases more.

Dont forget that Support Ticket @AfgVet asked for. Super helpful info in those darn things

4 Likes

@PurpNGold74 Just look… LOOK at my buddy’s plants. Almost exactly same age as mine, mostly same conditions.

He’s using da gro :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I have skimmed through the Grow Bible, but I must make time to thoroughly read and understand it. Once you actually grow something, it all makes more sense.

3 Likes

@Buckster Exactly my man… exactly. Its a learning process, and I promise you keep learning and applying that knowledge, listen to a lot of the people around here, and you’ll be growing amazing cannabis in no time.

There may be hope for your girls yet so don’t give up. Others will chime in. Fill out that support ticket info and copy paste to best of your knowledge and someone will definitely assist you!

2 Likes

Try just using distilled/ro water with cal/mag and balanced ph for time being. If you notice them cannibalizing themselves add pk booster

1 Like

Your friends plants are in for a bad surprise soon, looking way over done on nitrogen and starting to get waxy look

5 Likes