Plants are clawing and reservoir foaming

I have a whole host of problems after I did a midway veg flush. Before the flush the last ppm was 1400. The tips started to burn a bit so I flushed them. I am growing in 70 30 coco perlite and using Humboldt Secret nutrient full line. Aswell as molasses and orca. I have 2 large air stones in 45 gallons of water with speed on low. After the flush the ppm was 1050 and ph keeps jumping around. It started at 6.8 I adjusted it to 5.8 then after 12 hours it dropped to 5.6 with no feeding just sitting. Before I fed them 8 hours later I adjusted the ph back to 5.8 when I returned after the flood feed ph sat at 6.1 I brought it back down to 5.8 and when I last checked it was at 6.1 again. The reservoir has been foaming and bubbling like crazy with the air set to high so I turned it down to low and it still bubbles but not as much. It smells normal. Like stinky nutrients should.

Ph went up a point

I checked the plants a hour after I turned the lights on and they were clawing down. 7 hours later I just checked again and they got better but still clawing downward.

2 days before the flush

I might add after the flush I let the medium dry out before the feeding yesterday so about 2 days. They did completely dry out but you can tell a difference in color and overall health in the comparison pictures above. Can anyone help. Thank you much in advance.

2 Likes

Your res is foaming because of the molasses you’ve been adding. Change out the res and don’t add the molasses next time :call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

7 Likes

Was gonna suggest the same. Molasses is the foam culprit. Other than the plants look good. Oh will fluctuate usually getting higher they the days as the plants eat the nutes are u using tap water???

5 Likes

Ok will do. Should I hand feed the molasses or scrap it altogether?

Yes I’m using tap which always has a ph of 7.2. Even without feeding the ph goes up. From the time of my first post it has gone up 2 points. 6.3

1 Like

Scrap it all together, substitute that for microbes of your choice.

4 Likes

Do u let the tap set out for a while before u use it. Ro is best for situations like this. As the tap set it gasses off chlorine and stuff which in turn makes the pH fluctuate distilled or ro water would be best to try and see if that helps stabilize it a bit. It will still move points per day but should not be that bad like it is now

1 Like

I am using Orca but I was told to use molasses to feed the microbes. They don’t need food to stay alive?

No I don’t let it sit. I go straight in with the nutes. How long should I letting it sit?

The concept is true, however the molasses is causing the foaming in hydro. This is why microbes should be added every single res change. Any other medium, molasses will work.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful sight , even canopy and very happy healthy plants.

2 Likes

@kellydans Thanks. I been training them their whole life. About 3 more weeks then scrogging them in flower tent.

2 Likes

Yeah , plants look great. That’s my Style of grow spread out Bush With a even canopy. I’m not a net guy I like to take my plants out of the tent For watering drip out , prune and rotate back into tent.

3 Likes

@Covertgrower @MattyBear
Would you recommend I ph the water after adding silcate then adding the rest of my nutrients and adjusting again?
I read somewhere that it reduces the changes in ph in your reservoir.

1 Like

Don’t ph until after you’ve added everything. No sense in doing it twice IMO

6 Likes

Will do thanks

2 Likes

From those pics ur plants look fine

1 Like

I was going to say the plants might have rabies, but the molasses sounds more like the culprit. :rofl:

5 Likes

Thanks. I guess I’m just being paranoid

1 Like

Honestly alot of people panic when there see there plant not growing as much or something else but people have to realise these plants are weeds we shouldnt be getting worried when we see little problems we should treat them like weeds feed them when they need it give water thats it thats my opinion anyway i know theres alot of people that are goin to say that im wrong or im nuts well so be it

2 Likes