Plants 2 weeks old but not doing so well. Problem with light or soil?

A question of a fellow grower:
I’ve started with 3 plants and their not doing to well. They are 2 weeks old and they about 3 inches tall and they are starting to show the 2nd set of leaf. I usually use a 600 watt hps.but this go around i am useing a 600 watt LED and this time i used cheap potting soil. Do you think the problem could be the light or the soil. I would love to have your input on this problem.

Guessing soil, if it were the light they would likely be stretching upwards. And I see what looks like tip’s of the leafs are burning and turning brown, that is a sign of nutrient burn meaning your soil is to rich in nutrients for the lil gals…and they are having a bad reaction, this bad reaction will snowball and make the plant unable to take in nutrients. I’d try letting it ride and seeing if when they get a little bigger, they tolerate the higher nutrients better. In the mean time or next time start em off with those little green house peat moss pucks to avoid nutrient burn in the seedling stage.
greenhouse
my2cents

1 Like

Do we have any specifics on light and soil? Also curious as to what the distance from light to top of pots is?

2 Likes

a closer pic of each plant with regular light will help assess.

1 Like

It a wide spectrum medical light and the lights are about 6 to 9 inches from top of plants. Chould doing a flush help?

1 Like

What is the actual wattage draw from the wall? Your light is most likely waaay too close, at least to start. Try 18"-24", maybe even 30".

1 Like

Flush will help if it’s Nutrient Burn but if its light burn different story. Can you take a pic from further back give us an idea what your working with?

I had it at 30.inches. I tried a flush on 1 of them hoping that its a nutrient burn will reply back if a change.last grow i was useing a 600 wt hps but had a very bad heat problem so im trying a led this time. I will go back to the hps but will vent better this time and use the led on the clones.

2 Likes

When did you change it from 30" to 9", and why?

1 Like

I’d raise your lights up a bit as well, the plants aren’t streching so they are getting plenty of light, I’d raise the light some to be sure your not over lighting them. Make sure your not feeling to much warmth on back of your hand at plant height. Let it ride let me know how they are doing @Demar to get my attention.

The light was at 30 inches away from tops they started to show brown and wilting down leaf. I moved the light down to about 9 inches but that showed signs of bleaching so i did a flush on all 3 of them and raised the light to 24 inches. Hope that helped going to add co2 soon will that help or should i wait till they are bigger?

We can help with light distances if we have some info about the light. Flushing a seedling is generally not a good practice.

2 Likes

Both grows that I have done my seedlings didn’t do well under the strong LED’s. Once I moved them to a 6500k cfl they took off.

1 Like

The led light is not putting off heat.i moved it to 24 in now and did a flush on all of them gave them a shot of co2 they look better.do you know how much i should set the pressure at on a co2 tank for a 3x3x70 tent

1 Like

I don’t run Co2 so I have no Idea there, glad to hear things are looking better. Hope they get big and smelly!

It’s not heat that you have to worry about with LEDs… its light intensity and light focus I believe… I don’t use LEDs… but that’s my take on them… :wink:
Also your plants are just planted… let them grow… this dont happen over night…lol
I know, I know… description said weed in 6 weeks… not happening… give them time and they will grow… I promise… :grin:

:v::sunglasses:

I wouldn’t bother with adding supplemental co2 until you get your grow dialed in.

LEDs burn, even if they feel cool. Flushing seedlings was unnecessary.