Plant turning dark purple. Deficiency/Genes?

Hi, this is my first time growing and my first post as well, so please forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong place.

So this plant strain is called Blue Mystic. It’s outdoors in Black Magic potting soil, a 20gal fiber pot, it’s been fed Mills A+B as well as Mills V and R with periodic cal/mag and Neptune’s harvest fish+kelp in water pH’d around 5.8-6.2 range.

I topped it about a month ago. One of the main stems of the plant is the one I have taken pictures of here. I’m not sure why only one stem looks this way. None of the other plants of the same strain look this way. One other plant, a Somango, has one set of new growth that has some lighter coloration like that, but that’s it. Other than this the plants look really healthy.

Is this a deficiency or a bug? It doesn’t look like fungus or mold, just more so a pigmentation in the leaves and going up the stem like lines. I don’t have a PPM meter unfortunately, so I don’t know what the run off is. I’d really appreciate any help you can give me on this. I’ve looked around and couldn’t really come up with a definitive answer on my own. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Lots of knowledgeable people here. @Myfriendis410 @CoyoteCody @Bulldognuts @Hellraiser one of these guys can help

1 Like

That’s an odd one. @MattyBear @Covertgrower @garrigan62 any thoughts?

2 Likes

Looks genetic and possibly temperature variance

3 Likes

Here’s a better picture of the topmost (and most affected) growth. The coloring is on quite a lot of the lower new growths. I’ve also noticed some dark spots on the stems of leaves on the plant as well and wonder if it may be related, or is another problem altogether.

I notice that many of the leaves do that sharp hooked curve like the one in this picture below. The black spots on the stem here are not raised and doesn’t wipe off, it’s just discoloration.

Is the one with black spots on the same plant as the one with streaks. @Oldguy and @AAA are outdoor growers maybe they will have some insight as to what is causing the streaking.

1 Like

Omg! LETS GO STREAKING!!!

3 Likes

I’ve seen streaking on purple strains before and some started very similarly to the top pics.
So prob genetics or temp and it is a blue strain.
The spots are a new one on me. Not sure.
:v:

2 Likes

Yeah, the picture with the spots is the same plant. I have seen those dark spots on a number of the plants though.

So, I’ve actually started to notice this coloration on some different strains on closer inspection, though far far less noticeable. I’m really at a loss for what it could be. I’m hoping to prevent any permanent damage I might do to the plant since it’s about to flower.

1 Like

Don’t look Ethel !!!

3 Likes

I’m lost. Can those spots on the stem be rubbed off?

Natural plant pigments brought on with age and light exposure. Not unlike terpine development. Some strains are extremely purple… hence the name … the purps.

1 Like

No, they can’t be rubbed off, which is odd because it sort of looks like mold spots or something.

That’s a relief to hear! Thank you. Like I said, I’m a new grower and I’m just starting to find resources like this forum, so this has been enormously helpful.

1 Like

a friend grew a purps outdoor last season, the entire plant was beat crimson and purple! Absolutely stunning. Yeah I wouldnt worry, it doesnt look like a disease or virus or something nutrient related… seems genetic. Enjoy :wink:

1 Like

Too late. She done been mooned!

I hope it’s genetics, because if so, she’ll be gorgeous.

2 Likes