Plant Sexing Traits

Have have 4 mystery (bag seed) plants. I’m not going to thin them out until I see boy parts, but I do have a question.

Two of my plants are tall and lanky and 2 of them are shorter and bushier, despite each receiving the same care and training. I’ve read here and elsewhere that male plants tend to be taller and have a longer nodal spacing, which is exactly the difference I am calling out.

I know each plant is also genetically a bit different too, but are the characteristics of these individual plants giving me signs of things to come?

3 Likes

Personally, I have seen it go both ways. Ones I thought were going to turn out female become male and vice versa but, I’m no expert by far. That was my only experience with indoor growing until now. I would start my plants flip as soon as possible yank males and take the rest up in the mountain

2 Likes

I flipped them last Wednesday, so I am getting curious. The difference in the characteristics I point out are really starting to show since they seem to have started the stretch.

It could just be that 2 of them are stretching earlier, I suppose.

1 Like

This is mostly true, but always verify sex before tossing. Definitely a reason to be suspicious. Just look for the balls.

2 Likes

I was wondering something. 1 of my plants is growing taller than the other. I don’t know if there autos or not. Also I think there females but need someone’s observation to tell me if it’s a for sure Male or female. I’m in week 6 of Veg.

If you can’t see the nodes to tell sex of plant I can take a closer up pic of them.

You’ll need a close up shot of the canopy area. Usually the taller ones are males, but not always.

1 Like

Okay I’ll post some more pictures of them. Give me a few and I’ll have them up

1 Like

First 2 pictures is same plant. Between nodes look the same as other plant. It looks to me like calyx or however you spell it lol.

the orangish light picture is the 2nd plant. now this picture with the orange glow light looks like it’s trying to flower

Orange light one has some indications it could be a male.
Others are inconclusive.

Inconclusive as in? Sorry for the horrible picture quality my tablet sucks at taking pics lol. Does Male plants have little hairs on the nodes? Or does males have ball sacs no hair on top of them? Reason for asking is cause both have hair on top of them. It looks similar to my feminized Gorilla Glue but I don’t wanna take that small risk and have it be a Male and me not being able to fix the issue in time ruining my fem Gorilla Glue. Should I take a picture with jewelry scope?

These are female. With the hairs.

The males have what looks like balls. Literally.

2 Likes

I can grab a picture of a male if you’d like. I have a couple of them currently lol.

2 Likes

You may have to wait until these plants are further along into flower.

I have 4 plants from bag seed that I flipped 2 weeks ago. Two plants were tall and spindly and 2 were short and bushy. I’ve just sexed (for the final time) them yesterday and one short one and one tall one were my females. I checked my plants daily for about 5 days after the sex organs began growing out. It really took several days of checking them to be sure that boys were boys and girls were girls.

Had I culled according to my original assumptions then I would only have 1 female today instead of 2.

3 Likes

Okay so the pollen sacs have no hair at all I’m understanding? This is my first time grow to identify male or female cause I normally get feminized seeds lol I got these 2 seeds from a friend.

I really needed to let the pictured parts develop to be sure.

2 Likes

So what’s the best time to check in flowering?

This is correct. And @MidwestGuy helped with the diagram. Thanks!

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

Continually check throughout flowering, especially during the transition.

2 Likes

Yes. I was looking today and I’m suspicious that one of my fems may be a hermie. I noticed balls without hairs. I’ll give them a few more days to develop before I throw a plant out though.

1 Like