Plant has long stem

Should I put dirt around to help support stem

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can support it with extra soil. The root cause of the problem is most likely inadequate lighting. How many plants do you have and what are you using for lighting (brand and model, please)?

5 Likes

Welcome to the community putting soil around stretching seedlings will help but you need to correct the reason it was stretching which is usually not enough light. Pictures would help

4 Likes

Fu Full spectrum grow light

Only one plant other one didnt come up

2 Likes

I see the model number but can’t find it in search results. What is the brand, please?

If it indeed a 100 watt light with decent LEDs, you can get a plant through veg, but you’ll need ~200 watts to flower a plant.

Inadequate light is why your plant has an overly long stem. The plant is stretching trying to find more light.

4 Likes

100watt alphapar

2 Likes

I wouldn’t suggest adding more of this type light. Suggest upgrading your lighting to a light that is built with Samsung LM301b or LM301h diodes. You’ll need ~200 watts of high quality lighting to effectively flower 1 plant. 100 watts is not enough, particularly when using these older generation LEDs.

4 Likes

You can move your light closer that should help with the stretching @MidwestGuy is right that light is a little low on wattage you can flower with it but your yield will be affected

3 Likes

:100: long skinny stems can be buried. Get a stronger light to keep the problem from recurring.

3 Likes

You did not mention age and a photo always helps.
If you have a seedling or young plant, you do not need a lot of watts. The light’s color spectrum and distance affect how they grow.

I use a 65 watt light with veg spectrum for sprouts and young plants.

Their color is off because I underfed them. No stretching for light despite being only 65 watts.

A bunch of clones

1 Like

Wow, thanks. I’m new at growing my first plant. I ordered a 200 watt to help, hopefully.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Neighborhood!! It is a common when first starting out to make a few purchases that aren’t the best, but that is how we learn. Stick around here and you will be growing some of the best plants you ever imagined. happy growing. :slightly_smiling_face: :v:

1 Like

Will do that. I’m a little excited. I have many house plants and a small herb garden outside. Trying something new with a grow tent.

2 Likes

If your a DIY person the HLG320xl kit is an awsome light. Shop around it’s reasonably priced It’s a nice 2 plant light.

2 Likes