Planning Outdoor Grow in Zone 9

I am planning an outdoor grow in Zone 9. I am concerned with the temperature. The highs will be in the 90’s and lows in the 70’s, that is without adjusting for the heat index.
My plan is to try an Autoflower mix pack and another mix pack at the same time. I have several questions.
Do you think the plants will grow and survive the heat/humidity?
Which strain would you recommend?
Plant directly in the ground or use a container?
Thank you for your help.

3 Likes

Im guessing by your name that Zone 9 is south TX.

@Mrcrabs has you covered there.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! Autos could possibly fit. I like to read the Breeders Guide and pick strains that match your climate and environment, for a outside grow.

1 Like

@TX I’m in the same Zone but have to grow indoors due to how illegal it is in Texas. Plus I live in a very small town of not even 1200 people.

My temps have gotten past 100 degrees indoors so I bought a Window AC that sits in front of the tent. Since I can’t have the window ac in the window due to wood rot will set in real fast.

I will mainly be growing Autos starting next March to Nov 2021 indoors. Since its bot unusual to hit 115 degrees before the humidity is factored in. Last late June and early July we
was hitting past 126 degrees. Rough Summer.

Look for dominating Sativas which should grow well in Zone 9. Information gathered from Leafly dot com.

1 Like

I suggest in pots to keep them out of the brutal sun… I like sativas for our weather… I’m trying new strain will keep u informed… train wreck has done well … Durban poison has done well and Mexican sativa is wat I have used outdoors in the ground

There are the ones in pots that I have growing in the shade… I’ve been extremely busy and about to start the food drive with the church… so the composting will begin soon… stay medicated my friends

4 Likes

If you decide to grow above ground, tan fabric pots help keep the soil from getting superheated by the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-RCT10H-Fabric-10-Gal/dp/B008X0M4OE

1 Like

I see you agreed with me @Mrcrabs. My Sativas always go crazy indoors. I don’t know where you live. Probably not overly far from me. I’m 9a and 9b zone.

1 Like

I’m way south @MrPeat… it’s 91… but feels line102…

2 Likes

@Mrcrabs you are farther south than me. I’m about the middle between Corpus and Houston a long the coastline. We are at a weak 88 degrees. :pensive:

Probably be a rough summer.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses. I will keep you updated as I move forward, undoubtedly will have more questions.

Well Hell. Im 26N97W. 9 miles from Mexico. If you have a covered area with great airflow, you might be able to go outside. It’s already been 100° as stated above. 104° Friday. Problem here is humidity and bugs. Shitload of bugs… Unless your on the Gulf, it would be hard. But… Take a look overhead. The Po Po down here dont mess around. 20200402_130033 If yer in Corpus? Got a nice Air station there. Kingsville as well.

1 Like