Planning my first set up!

You can go to Horticulture Lighting Group’s Web site and get everything you need.

You can also source the boards, etc. from other places like Amazon and I have seen them for sale at cobkits. @dbrn32 will probably know best who has them in stock.

2 Likes

You can do both. Sourcing the parts by themselves will save a couple bucks, but the wire and stuff like that all has to be ordered. It’s very hard to find locally. Buying the kits come with everything you need. You just need a screwdriver and wire strippers.

What size or how many boards are you looking at? Growerslights usually has best in stock selection of the kits. For a few extra bucks they will assemble and test prior to shipping as well.

2 Likes

@Danfl21

Great choice as I have made the leap to qb boards. Started out led which is nothing wrong with the brand meizhi. Great lights and I would recommend those if you weren’t going to go qb boards. Great choice and I’ll be watching along the way

Price wise I spent

385 for 2 of these kits

140 for this driver and plug

100 for frame screws snips to cut frame from Home Depot or Lowe’s get 1/8th thickness frame

20 for for wire

And 6-7hrs building. You can build hlg’s Top of the line light hlg550 for the price of $645 and pride of knowing you built and put together your own top of the line qb board light. I think what @dbrn32 recommended to you 2 of the 1200’s that’ll be more than what I paid for my qb’s

1 Like

I got my Quantum Boards from GrowersLights. They were great to work with and sent me an extra set of 4 ratchet straps because they were late one day getting it shipped to me. Highly recommend them! Tag me into your grow if you get them!

3 Likes

@dbrn32 I was thinking something like the hlg 550. Would that be good for a 4x4 tent?

3 Likes

That’s about perfect. You can get to 4 boards without having to spend that money though. Go to growerslights and look at either two of the 260 watt xl kits or the 600 kit. Either will be cheaper than buying the 550. You can select assembly and testing prior to shipping, or save a few bucks putting together yourself.

3 Likes

I have 2 California Light Works Solar System 550’s. I thought I would use 2 in my 4’x4’ tent but had to take one out cause it was too much for my plants in flower. So now I’m just running one SS550 in my 4’x4’ tent and I love it. With the programing controller I can (and do) program out my whole grow in it’s calendar. If I want to adjust I can but if not it just goes through the stages I program at the day/times I want.

It may be a bit pricey but I got both of mine (separately) during sales which helped. And one will be plenty for a 4’x4’.

but that’s the extent I know it’s the only light i’ve used other than HPS but I much prefer running the LED.

1 Like

@dbrn32 so im thinking 4 of these boards. Any recommendations on a driver?

I posted these above for you and driver. I just purchased all of that for a build. That driver is the exact same as the one that comes with the hlg550

1 Like

@Onlythebest79 yessir I appreciate it. Some of the the things I read say the hlg 600 driver. I’m just wondering what size would be best and I’m hoping to find one with a external dimmer control

1 Like

If I’m wrong please correct me @dbrn32 but the driver I got has two series a and b.

A is dimmiable with built in switch
B is add on external dimmable switch

2 Likes

@Danfl21 if you’re looking for 4 that 600 watt kit may be a good option. I typically don’t like to spec leds in parallel. So if not that, the meanwell hlg-480h-c2100 will do four of the qb 288 at about 120 Watts per board is a pretty good option too. Then you can wire boards in series as well.

@Onlythebest79 is correct. If that driver ends in an A the dimmer is already built in 50-100%. If it ends in a B it requires an additional potentiometer and you can dim from 0-100% on that one I think. I usually recommend the A version for new builders. It’s usually a little cheaper, requires no extra work or parts, and there’s rarely a reason to dim below 50%.

3 Likes

I ordered my lights from hlg Tuesday morning and they mailed out that morning and will be here tomorrow

3 Likes