Planning a perpetual grow

The Citi 1212 or vero 18 is what you will probably want to look at. Either 80 or 90 cri will work fine for vegging, get whatever you can find cheap in good color temp…

5 Likes

@dbrn32
Is there any reason to use 5k or 6400k over 3500k/4K other than cost?

I’m running about 130w for my main light right now, and they all seem happy. Should I plan on 150w or 200w for the veg tent?

2 Likes

150-200 watts of cobs should be fine.i would do 4000-5000k for a veg specific light, but if you need multipurpose anything in there will do

1 Like

yes there is…
4000k, 5000k, and 6400k r best for veg,
the 3500k and 3000k lack the blue’s needed for good vegging.!!
like dbrn said, if it is veg specific go with 4k+, if u might use it for flower use 3k or 35k.!
i like my 4000k QB veg light, but wish i could try a 6500k to know the difference.!

2 Likes

I guess I meant significant difference. :grin:
Will a 4K-5k-6400k light make a noticeable enough difference to build a veg specific light vs. a general purpose 3k-3500k light.

I guess I’ll have to roll the dice and find out.

1 Like

I just built a DIY 4-QB132 V2 3K with an HLG-240H-C1750A driver for a 2x4x5 tent. The QB132s also come in 4K if you are looking to focus it on veg only and are into the DIY thing. Here’s my link to it. It’s about half-way down the post.

1 Like

I use HLG 100 4000k boards for veg and they work great.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I love qb’s, but I’m using left over drivers to power the lights, so cobs it’ll be.
I’ve always been a diy guy
I’ve got 4 drivers so I’ll probably use 3 of them for 3 50w cobs in the 4K-6500k spectrum. I may use the last one for a 3k flowering cob.

2 Likes

Most of my indoor grows have been in a scrog, but when I sat down and examined what I really wanted/needed, a perpetual grow with just lst/supercropping/topping was more in line.
I don’t grow for profit (if I did I’d be screwed). I just want enough for myself, my s.o., and my friends.

2 Likes

yes.!
this is the reason us old farts were using MH and HPS bulbs.!!
some can’t afford to buy ‘extra’ lights and use one light germ to jar.

i like to give them 4k light until 2-4 weeks into flower.!
most growers can’t do this tho.! mwah hah hah.! LOL

1 Like

I went with 3 citi 1212’s. 5th gen, 90cri, 4000k. I also plan on building a single cob with the remaining driver (6th gen 1212 90cri 2700k) in the future. I’ve got all the parts.

The 3 cobs are pulling 135 watts at the wall, which is what the blurple meizhi was pulling. All the plants seem happy and the 4’x2’ tent is getting crowded.

Thank you @dbrn32

A little cable management and it’ll be all done.

4 Likes

Very nice! Keep us posted on how that light flowers.

I don’t plan on using it for flowering. It’s a veg only tent.

1 Like

Boooo! That’s not any fun lol.

All the fun happens in the flowering tent.

2 Likes

I just wanna see someone flower with 4000k 90cri. You’re not chicken are you?!

1 Like

Certainly not chicken. I’ve tortured many plants just out of curiosity. If I tire of the perpetual harvest I might pull one of the cob fixtures out and try to flower something just for you. The lights aren’t fixed in place so they can slide around in the frame to optimize light patterns where the plants are. They’re also individually wired and plugged in, so I can use just 1,2 or all 3.

Speaking of torturing plants.

The 3 plants I had flowering in an unheated, sunshine only room, finally died with that last stretch of sub zero temps. I think 4 consecutive days below freezing finally did it, ( temps were 20ish at night and low 30’s at night). My takeaway was that cannabis will easily survive occasional cold temps below freezing, but that extended periods below 40-50f slow flowering/growth down to nothing.

1 Like

She looks a little rough for sure. Don’t mess up your plans on account of me, but if opportunity arises i would love to see it.

What would you expect from a 90cri 4000k cob? Slower growth, smaller buds? Or possibly positive results like higher thc or resin production? I haven’t really researched it.

For less than $18 I can get another 1212 90cri 4000k cob and put it into the remaining fixture. I might be inclined to try it if there were a likelihood of a positive outcome. It’d only be about 45w, but that would be enough for a very small experiment. @dbrn32

1 Like

Not sure, that’s why i was asking. I’m sure it will grow weed though.