Phototron style of pruning for nowadays tent style indoor grow system

I hear you, would love to follow you and watch the exciting progress. Careful though, U will be hooked soon.

2 Likes

hey @kw_Bat, too late to be careful, i’m a scrooge LOL. I never ever make a decision on one variable. I weigh and weight variables to help me make decisions, but let me tell you, not having to spend 500 bucks a month had me hooked on growing my own just as soon as it was legal for recreational pot here in our state. one of the other majors is, i’m pretty sure that i can grow better stuff than what i have gotten for the last 5 years via the med pot growers. i suspect they are growing to make money where as i am growing to have top of the line pot. By my estimation, 5 months after my pot is cured i will have made my investment back. i have friends who spend 200 or 225 for an oz and because i don’t care about the money they will be able to lower their amount they have to pay to keep high but again i’m not in it for the money, family and friends will get a lot for a very little price.
also, i’m retired now and need something to keep my brain busy or i will go nuts. This project has open ended opportunities to learn and grow. I don’t ever want to get in a rut and haven’t so far in my life. this just looks like a good way to keep from getting old. The last concert i went to was Stevie Ray Vaughn outdoors at Kalamazoo Fair Grounds. He died after his next concert. but when i went to the bathroom there were two kids in there passing one back and forth. and here i am an old guy with short hair and they thought they were in trouble… i laughed because i had been smoking twice as long as their ages put together lol.

5 Likes

monkman, ,

Man I get it, I am the same way about weighing options, it can take me weeks to months to iron out the path I am willing to take.

I have a question for you, in your first post in this thread you said.

I would like to do some research on the method you are speaking off. Can you tell me if this link is the same phototron you are talking about?

thanks

2 Likes

hey @kw_Bat. I read thru the whole thing and think it would be good background reading for anyone who is interested in pot. I think this is very early in the phototron’s life cycle as when i had mine you didn’t send in stuff to him. that part was gone. but it is the same unit. But the manual that explained all about how pot grows was exceptional. I know that the people around here now do not believe what he wrote, but it is true. I had to keep temp of moss and of air in tron around 90 degrees f and that would keep it from turning male. he said that all plants are female and you can stop them from turning male by keeping the temp up. you started trimming when the third set of leaves showed and you took off one of the leaves to start the branch growing from the side that you didn’t take. you kept doing that the whole time and took the other leaf off from where the branch grew when the branch got to be an inch or two. I had skunk #1 and Hawaiian that i had sent to Amsterdam to get mailed into the states. When i harvested the skunk 3 months later i got two and three quarters of an ounce dried from a plant that was about about `15 inches tall. there was an eighth of an inch between nodes. and it took me less than five minutes a day to trim it. The Hawaiian took up the whole rest of the tron by the time i finished.i got 3 ounces dry but it should have gone flowering for a while yet because they were small buds and they were not ready but we were leaving on a trip to Texas and they had to be harvested. It took 4 hours every day to trim the damn Hawaiian. there was less than a half an inch between nodes on that damn plant.
Anyone who grows a sativa in a tron is a sadist or masochist or one of those things lol. I have traveled a lot for work and have smoked for 50 years. i am an old boy scout. i swear i am not exaggerating. i have never smoked or seen pot that compares to that skunk. I said earlier that there were so much trichomes on the skunk that they were balling up in pea sized balls. I backed away from that because i read up about trichomes (didn’t know to check them for harvest back then just harvested because i had to) and didn’t see how it could be that they would do what i saw, but when i see trichomes balling up in pea sized balls again then i will know that i have pot as good as i grew in the phototron. That is part of my goal in starting again and finding i can’t do phototron, trying to duplicate it or get close to it again. @dbrn32 @TDubWilly @MattyBear @stretchgfw.1957 @Smokinnuggs @Oldguy @Hungrybud @OldSchoolGrower @peachfuzz i am sorry, i tried to put a bunch more people tagged for this because i thought they would be interested. this guy is not bs’ing. what he did is real.
please read the article at line 63, “the amazing phototron” another ps… as i remember… the guy who designed the phototron did his doctoral thesis on marijuana. it doesn’t say that in the article, but the article is an anecdotal example of growing using the phototron, not about the guy who designed it per se.

8 Likes

I would love to see more data on being able to keep plant female with temp over 90f.

Limit is 10 tags per post.

4 Likes

@dbrn32 please read the article that @kw_Bat posted on the line above mine. I think it would be beneficial to anyone who wants to really understand pot. it is line 63. btw, this guys directions were a bit different than mine. i don’t remember taking off just buds but i do remember about doing a continual grow so maybe i just didn’t focus on that part enough to remember it.

Thanks for the tag on this @monkman. Very interesting read. Would be nice to have a continual harvest.:wink:
Peace :v:

1 Like

Just a few corrections and observations on this guys phototron experience. (i’m going to shoot some holes in his stuff). You started off with 6 seeds or seedlings and you would keep taking out the lesser plant until you had only one plant left. I got away with two in mine because the skunk was so short, i am not kidding, the Hawaiian took up every other available space in the tron. If i had the situation to try again, i would put three skunk (or any other indica) and grow them thru flower, you would have plenty of room and would get about ten ounces every 3 months. You did not at any time top the plant. I could see the top of the skunk, but i had no idea where the top of the Hawaiian ended up even when i harvested. He said his plant was three feet tall, couldn’t be, the tron was three feet tall, but my Hawaiian could have been 15 ft tall inside there wound around ten times lol. The Phototron used three u shaped twisted florescent grow lights (twisted flor allowed 20% more light. and a hydro type growth setting. I am not going to try to replicate that, but i would think that someone who was astute at growing in hydro might be able to get close to something like this.

2 Likes

@monkman very interesting read going to check this out more thanks for the tag happy harvesting brother

1 Like

I have searched the net myself for the right manual that i had when i got my phototron. I have seen three different manuals now but none of them are the right one. It has to have a hand drawn diagram of where to cut the sun leaf and none i’ve seen have had that. That is the manual that tells all about what the designer of the tron learned for his paper. One of the guys on here found one that i hadn’t seen yet and made it three but none is the right one. I am thinking about going to a couple of other sights (420grow) or something like that, but i don’t really have the time to do that right now and it doesn’t really matter. It is great for the knowledge but we don’t have trons anymore so is better for me right now to spend my time learning to do things for nowadays. after a year or so i can waste time chasing that lol. I suspect that someone has the right tron manual out there somewhere. @Smokinnuggs

1 Like

The one i seen says pinch the sun leafs when they are 4 inches do not include the stem on measurment??.? Idk wouldnt mind trying it on the lsd strain love that stuff good cross with the skunk no.1 dank and stinky​:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

this is my first try and i took the extra ten for getting white widow. but i have 7 more strains on my wish list. u bet lsd is one of them @Smokinnuggs also super skunk, gold leaf, girl scout cookie extreme, and a couple others i can’t remember now, just burned one lol

2 Likes

Woo hoo i just blasted off with some blue dream time for some snacks lmao

3 Likes

honey and cream for me right now, from a med grower

2 Likes

Very interesting methodology. I was “accidentally” doing this method on my latest grow because my plants get so dense with my new 4xQB304 light setup. I didn’t need to top or FIM to produce side shoots if the light was close (18 inches to the canopy). So I started chopping all fan leaves except the top most bud site. I have branching going crazy. Will have onogh to thin out branches to create clones. The reveging is an interesting perpetual twist.

2 Likes

here it is… the “pea sized balls” i was talking about

i am ecstatic! i hope to be able to do this with my plants! mine were mostly in crotches of leaves or by the buds.

@MattyBear @dbrn32 @SlowOldGuy

btw, mine had a lot more trichomes on them than this one does.

3 Likes

You should be able to do better than that really. Not bad looking by any means, but compare that cola to the pics of colas Mattybear posted yesterday. Specifically the structure difference in how tightly packed calyx are.

2 Likes

yep, i understand what you are saying, and i agree that matty’s buds looked better, but it was really nice to see them again and to know that it is possible. he said in his post that his plants are sticky to the touch. when i harvested my skunk back then i put it in a baggy and had to cut baggy apart to get the bud out.

5 Likes

If anything like that is ever produced on a plant of mine, I think I would have to figure out a way of smoking one just out of curiosity. I’m assuming it would be really harsh and taste like shit. Lol

2 Likes

I’m using organic soil. This is my first grow so i have nothing to compare it to as far as yield but the best thing about it is no flying pest burrowing in the top layer. I used 50% organic soil mixed with coco coir,perlite,vermiculite for the other 50%, i don’t know why i did this mix must of been combination of post i’ve read. Another thing is i have great drainage, I’m on a learning curve with the watering of this mix and it’s so much cleaner than the soil i used during vegetation which had me swatting gnats all the time,now there gone. The top couple inches are vermiculite and perlite to discourage infestation. My plants took a half gallon each yesterday now there bone dry. Only time will tell how good organic mix works.

1 Like