Photos vs. Autos

Never had a single seed in any auto in 10 strains ( about to be up to 18 in 3-4 weeks)

2 Likes

The Northern Lights Auto that I just sampled,which was still growing a week ago,is pretty damned good…took 4 good ‘hits’ and got a pretty good ‘buzz’…tastes like hell though…:>)

2 Likes

I have been told that most of the herb you buy at dispensaries are autos as the producers don’t want to take 5-6 months for a crop and can get a faster turn around with autos. Since we are, fingers crossed, shooting to apply to produce commercial for rec in our state when the licensing comes out on Sept 29th, we are looking to autos for same reason. For one, I can eek in a small auto crop between now and winter in our greenhouse for wholesale. That is commercial side.

I ‘was’ partial to the photos, but honestly my auto herb smoked every bit as good as my photo herb has. That said, I am a bit disappointed in the Afghan auto as it is so small it is not worth the time and money spent to cultivate that one.

3 Likes

This is a great thread

5 Likes

I’m having the same issues with my autos as they just are not getting as big as I would like for them to. Here’s a pic of my autos vs photos and with the comparison it seems like a no brainer to me. I’m gonna have to do another huge run of autos just to get enough green to have for smoke during the winter.

2 Likes

This is not a factual statement.

Let’s compares today’s autos against today’s photos because that’s what the conversation is about, while you should still check the genetic thc rating a breeder gives it this is often a best case scenario for both plants and unless lab reports are there to back it up don’t belive it.

There are many differences still.
Autos flip automatically, of course if your have a breeder who isn’t a good auto breeder (like ilgm or pacific seeds or othes) then there is a roll of the dice if the genetic is stable enough that it will always be an auto.

Let’s say we are dealing with quality genetics though like mephisto or fastbuds or heavyweight or Dina fem or Dutch passion autos against quality photos like ilgm or elev8 or ethos, Jordan of the Island or something else so this conversation is fair.

Autos will flip general after 4-6 weeks of veg
Photos you decide when they flip

Therfor autos have a limited veg time, so if you don’t know how to grow cannabis your going to have a steep learning curve. Some say this is bad however I say it’s good, the faster you fail the faster you learn and adapt that’s what happened to me and I’m a pretty knowledgeable grower these days but we are all always learning and there is always someone out there better.

Autos will take any light scedule and do what they can with it, they also arnt light sensitive so if you have a led on or a light leak your plant won’t herm. However photos are very light sensitive and it will effect their growth rate and when you flip them they will herm on you or grow terrible bud structure.

Autos are incredibly difficult to clone, it’s possible but it’s easier to seed one out and get seeds then to clone. While photos can be cloned with ease.

One of the biggest differences that will make a difference at the end of the day to your final product however is genetics.
Many auto strains are named one thing but if you look at its linage or ask the breeder it’s often not exactly as advertised so Always look at the linage of any genetic before you buy it however autos are more common for this.
An example is sensi seeds northern lights auto, it’s not actually a Northern lights crossed with an auto. It’s a northern lights #5 crossed with a skunk auto, although many breeders don’t list the lineage on their websites so you need to ask them.
When you step into top quality genetic companies like mephisto, elev8, ace seeds they tell you exactly what your getting and how stable the genetic is possibly even how many phenos are in their batch of seeds. Most big seed banks won’t tell you thst or the common names that show up first on the list. Learning about genetics is key to growing better quality cannabis once you have your grow dialed in.

Autos will also Cary more cbd due to the auto gene.

But eh that’s just my thoughts

9 Likes

A good place to find lineages from breeders is that grow diaries site often they’ll have a lineage all the way back to landraces if the breeders are open about it

5 Likes

Thanks for dropping that knowledge @Nicky I just learned a ton! :grinning:

2 Likes

Seed finder has a nice family tree for everyone as well, gore diarys definitely helps you look at what people who grew that plant can achieve but more importantly how the effects actually feel. I’ve filtered many genetics out already by reading the smoke reports there.

@TRF your welcome

3 Likes

Hmm, ok no light leaks and IlGM genetics. Now explain why they always Herm at the end. I base my facts on my plants.

1 Like

Do you happen to have a picture

1 Like

You stress them to much i guess light leak isn’t an issue with my autos they get a TON of it , but I don’t top or FIM and I grow organically so it’s as close to how nature works as possible, the worst I do is defoliate and lst but even with those I’m gentle

2 Likes

Autos are fairly decent I haven’t had any major troubles with them

14 Likes

Good looking lady @New.growth what is it?

2 Likes

@TRF it’s GSC

4 Likes

She sure is frothy looking! Killer job👍

2 Likes

Thanks @TRF it’s :axe: day today

3 Likes

Hard to do a ‘remote diagnosis’…but…looks to me like you arent getting enough sunlight…

2 Likes

I have grown Autos 8-10 times.The one and only time I had ‘hermes’ was when I started 4 (GSCA from ILGM) inside (18-6 light cycle),transplanted them outside,(after about a month inside) in spring when the days were still relatively short.May have been the ‘shock’ of growing environ…who knows…ALL 4 HERMIED!..never had any others,before or after…maybe it was the ‘alignment of the planets’ or some crap…

4 Likes

They just pop a few seeds at the end I see the same in photos outside sometimes. The day they make seed though from that point forward potency decreases

3 Likes