Photos vs Autoflowers... real talk

You did the right thing by getting a tent, Too much rain and little sunlight is terrible for plant’s, all kinds of issues start mold root rot etc. Look at the quality Buds you’re producing, other than this odd weather events were haveing my environment produces great grows outside, I just hope for some fresh Buds for personal use come September I’m going to give :100: Effort As a Bonus I have Pro Growers I can ask questions, I learn something new every year

2 Likes

Thanks , everything going good with this crop

2 Likes

pretty much, I have 4 more weeks to go with my sour diesel and i started two blueberry autos 2 weeks ago. One of them looks a little funky tho so im just waiting to see what it does.

5 Likes

You know I grow both at times I have had great success with some autos and some failures. Same for photos. Best pro on autos is usually a much quicker to harvest time with same potency as photos but with often a smaller yield. Simply a tradeoff

I won’t disrespect either type of plant as long as it gets me as high as I want.

9 Likes

today I noticed that the autoflower is already starting to flower, its only been a few weeks why is this happening?

3 Likes

Morning, @TvanWormer87 thats what autos do! Usually 3-5 weeks and they start to flower.

3 Likes

Autos normally flower at 3-4weeks, for 7-10 weeks. They have preset clock, they are gonna do their own thing no matter what light schedule you may use. Stress factors may alter that preset schedule, and or bad breeding. I have used one seed company that sells stable genetics thus eleminating bad genetics and giving this rookie a good chance to be successful, we are almost complete on 3rd grow. Love autos, they yeild, they get you hammered, isnt that the goal.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree completely. The key to autos is giving them perfect care in the seedling and early veg stages. Since we can’t control the flip, we have to give them the best opportunity to do their thing in the limited time they have in veg. Most of my autos hit preflower in week 4, occasionally it’s week 5, but keep in mind they explode with growth once they hit the flip.
Once you get the hang of it, you can most definitely raise some auto monsters! I have a run going right now where I’m struggling to keep my autos away from the grow lights.
This is a Froot by the Foot by Atlas seeds on the right and a Mephisto Forgotten Cookies on the left.

8 Likes

What a beautiful space to grow in. Your plants are blessed to have you as their care taker. :heart: @Cap_Ron

3 Likes

I guess i was just shocked because its so small

3 Likes

Thank you @Mosca! That’s my 4x6 closet grow. It has it’s upsides, but if I had it all to do over again I’d knock the closet walls down and put a tent in it’s place. The biggest advantage to the closet is the hard ceiling/walls and the ability to hang anything I want wherever I want, but there are disadvantages as well. It’s really difficult to get big plants through the narrow closet door. Once they get to the size these girls are at I have to run a rope around them to lasso up the branches and squeeze them narrow enough to fit, lol.

3 Likes

@TvanWormer87, what size container or pot did you start your autoflower in?

1 Like

solo cup

1 Like

I’ve only grown photos. Never heard of an auto until 5 months ago. Had to research. The marketing makes it seem like they are faster but after being here not so sure. My brother’s last batch of autos took 95 days. Seems like you could veg a photo for 30 days and flip in the same time frame. ( or close). I went with the photos so I have the cloning option.
I have definately seen some bad ass autos on this forum for sure.
Happy growing to all!

4 Likes

depending on how this one does this may be my last time grosing an auto, my photo is doing great!

4 Likes

I hear you! If you do choose to grow autos again, feel free to tag me with any questions. The timing of the transplant and the technique you use to do it is very important.

5 Likes

of course!

1 Like

Autos can get big and sometimes they are small :confused: .
If you want to grow “Perpetually” meaning multiple plants in different stages so you get harvests more often. For photos you need 2 spaces to grow in, 1 for seedlings and vegging plants and 1 for flowering plants.
With autos, you can do this with one space since light schedule doesn’t matter.
But if ya got 2 tents or spaces, then photos are better for many reasons, but with 1 tent, autos van be more appealing to some growers to keep the harvest coming closer together.

5 Likes

Both have their up sides :grin: When I run both. I try to start the photos first to make sure they get a 6 week veg. You can grow autos on a 12/12 so it makes it easier to blend them. I flower all my plants. Photo or autos on a 11/13 my self. After a few grows. You start to learn what works best for you. :grin: If I have to start autos on a 11/13 I change the lights to a 12/12 and then dial the lights up some for the autos. Autos are great. But like the Cap says. A little care is needed till you are familiar with them in your grow environment :grin:

3 Likes

I personally prefer autos… I cant really say why. I guess they just feel like less work to me. As much as i enjoy growing im also a lazy grower. Its a relaxing hobby for me so I like to keep it stress free. I can get better yields from photos but I have plenty in the bud bank. If i had one complaint about autos it would be that Ive not mastered how to get dense buds on an auto. My buds on autos are usually a bit airy and loose. Ive never tried to let an auto grow without even LST. ive read that any type of training can cause airy buds on an auto. I may try to let my next plants just do their thing and see.

4 Likes