Photos vs Autoflowers... real talk

you know after reading everyones responses I’m glad I only got 5 of the blueberry autos, the rest of the seeds i got were the regular feminized ones. I’m not in any hurry so I will just enjoy all the new things I will learn with the photos!

4 Likes

Im sure there are some but im not the one who has a list of pros. Just cons lmao. I dont really grow autos cuz i think they are trash but thats just my opinion. Alot of people have success with autos but ive never tried them

2 Likes

My experience between Autos and Photos is as follows

If you want surprises then grow Auto’s
You can also get surprises from photos by always growing from seed
But if you want consistency or to repeat similar yields and same quality then grow clones from photos.

5 Likes

I grow photos because i can train as much as i want. With autos you have a very small window with which you can train. I too fell for the auto binge when i first started, but figured out rather quickly that photos were the way to go. As someone mentioned above , autos control you, you control photos.

4 Likes

No space for mother plant, only have 2x3 space available in rv. If this photo seed dont make it, what do we smoke? No stash.

Ilgm recommended banana kush autos as good yeilder. We grew 3 autos in 3 months. Crowded yes, but 12 zips in 3 months.

Can you produce 12 zips in 90 days? One photo seed in 90 days and 12 zips?

I lose one plant, got 2 more, you lose one, starting over.

4 Likes

This is one of the best pros for photos.
Cloning and/or re-veging photos can streach a single seed into pounds and pounds of bud for many grow cycles…

Here’s my current grow started from 1 seed and I have 6 plant’s from it now and I will be taking more cuttings to clone this weekend. I’d be happy to show you how I do it :grin:

6 Likes

For the most part, since they finish quicker, I like to throw an auto or 2 in my grow. They’re finicky sometimes since they have their own time line as far as when they start flowering. But I think of them like a little treat before the final harvest lol.

8 Likes

Theres actually very few “pros” imho.
I’ve grew many of both and theres lots of cons to them and I honestly can’t think of a pro for auto’s other then, they don’t care about lighting schedule and could be grew out in the open like a house plant and they will still flower…

They can maybe be a few weeks faster from seed to harvest then photos, but not always…

2 Likes

I have only ever grown autos. I have never experienced any on the 10 inch one hitters.

Why do only do Auto? Because I have never tried photos. Just kidding. I have one grow space inside for winter only in my garage. I have no want or need to move inside the house or wxpand my grow space.

I do grow outside during summer. My freinds who grow photos have elaborate control systems for humidity, temp, light, and all other enviormental controls. I am not suggesting all photos require that.

The pros for autos with me. Smaller, more resitant to mold and disease (i can not back that up, I just have been told), can handle cooler temperatures (assuming because of the russian genes) and they can be sort of cruise controlled.

I think of autos like insta pot or air fryer, i just sprout my seed and water when they are outside. A little tie down here or there and presto weed in 2 or three months. Repeat.

Photos, again I have no basis for this, seem like baking. More space required to clone, veg, and flower. (I heard most photo growers like a clone area, a mother plant area, a vegging tent, and a flower tent.)

I just have some pots in the back yard.

I grow autos simply because i started with them and they serve my purpose.

But i see you have two kinds of seeds. Grow bith and see what happens and what you like better.

6 Likes

definitely doing that my sour diesel is in its fourth week of flower and the autos are still in the seedling stage, my notes will be thorough

2 Likes

I like that!

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of autos. The only reason I see to grow them is if you can’t control the light. As far a speed. From seed to harvest. They can be the same. Your average photo takes 3-4 weeks to be mature enough to flower. Same as autos.

Biggest Pro photo. You grow a strain that’s a perfect 10 in your book. You can reveg and clone. And keep the strain indefinitely… Having that perfect bud for years, or until you get tied of it :slight_smile: You don’t need a lot of space or light to clone.

Ill always take photo seeds over autos. But won’t turn down auto seeds :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m in the same mindset as @MW70, in that I prefer photos. I’m a clonaholic tho, and that gets me in trouble frequently!
However, autos DO have their place, outside as @CMichGrower stated, need to have them finish by mid-September to avoid the Vancouver atmospheric rivers that start around then. And it’s too hot in the summer to do a really good tent run (I’m finding), so photos fall/winter/spring in the tent, autos in the summer outside.

5 Likes

Ive grown autos… havent done any in a while though. I enjoy training my plants. With photos i can train any way i like and can give her time to recover as many times as i like… with autos in my experience, i cant train any or as much as i would like. Autos are like crazy Karens. You never know what kind of sporadic temper tantrum she might have and not have time to recover well before she really gets into flower…

3 Likes

I think @Nicky does auto flowers, and if I am right, he does them well. We will see.

3 Likes

@Not2SureYet is an outstanding auto grower.

4 Likes

Thanks @Myfriendis410 It looks like most has been covered above. I started with autos and they just liked me. I haven’t really figured out why so many don’t like them. As for advantages. I do think photos give a lot more options when it comes to growing and training. If I was going to advise a new grower what to do first. It would be an auto hands down. Here is why.
When you are new. You want to be hands on and always looking at the plants. With autos. You don’t have to worry about light schedules. The change automatically. With an auto. I was opening my tents all the time during their dark times and never had an issue. I wouldn’t do them un less you are in coco though. It is way more forgiving in my opinion. Starting these are the same as photos. If you do an auto for your first plant. Tag a few auto growers. I know I can tell you what to avoid when starting a seed. They say you can’t over water in coco. Which is true. But not for seedlings. I start mine in rooters. Water the nursery bag to run off. And don’t touch it for 4 days. I let it dry out quiet a bit. Water to run off. And by the end of the week. You will have a healthy seedling. I probably grow my autos a little different in I change my lights to a 12/12 during flower. And get the same results as if I was on a 16/8. Maybe even better since my biggest auto was on a 12/12 for flower. Once you have grown a plant. You may want to try a photo if you want to try training harder. But they are right. it seems we either love, or hate autos :laughing: I am an auto lover :laughing: I have to laugh at @ChittyChittyBangin s post above. He is spot on. With most autos. Un till you grow at least one plant of that strain. You will not know if it is a 3 oz plant or a 12 by nature. Most hit in the 5 - 6 oz rage pretty easy though.

6 Likes

I like the photos because they grow bigger for outside. I call mine BIG MAMA!!

6 Likes

Hey BIg Mamma!!!

2 Likes

I also grow auto’s inside as a novelty, they look like a smaller version of big mama, I think they look kool

4 Likes