Ph ‘soil’ tester for Pro-Mix

Hey All.
Just wondering if anyone is aware of a ph soil tester that can accurately measure the ph from a soilless mixture. I am using Pro-Mix as my medium. I have some cheap probes that measured Light, moisture and ph but they are total garbage!

1 Like

The ground probes are all pretty much garbage. You can find a decent ph meter on Amazon. I would look at buying at least the Apera. You get what you pay for :v:

1 Like

You’ll end up doing run-off or slurry testing, not direct soil probing.

4 Likes

Exactly. Take a 1/4 cup of your media and add to a cup of distilled water. Then take the PH of the solution.

4 Likes

Not that they should use a soil probe using a soilless media but they are not all junk. I use them and they work fine in my soil media. I use both the cheap $12 one that does the moisture, light and Ph and bought a $50 one that is spot on for Ph of my soil. You just have to know how to use them.
I’m not sure if promix is considered soilless like using coco coir or not but I would think this medium is closer to soil as it has spaghnum peat and other ingredients than coco coir but I could be mistaken.
There are several pro mix variations as well.

This meter works great for testing Ph of soils

And about half of the time I just use the drops because I don’t trust the any of the meters

1 Like

I use the apera ph-60. I’m very happy with it. I Calibrate it about 1/month. And it has a replaceable probe.

1 Like