PH sciency question

I wanted to discuss it as I am seriously interested if someone has used it before.

So Iā€™m asking how you see strong and weak acids as equivalent. I donā€™t follow, but Iā€™d appreciate learning.

The pure acid is different in pH, sulphuric very low pH, citric, for example, a bit higher. If you dilute the in water, you can bring the solution to pretty much any pH you want, up to the water pH of course, not higher.
So the differnce is the ratio between acid and water, how strong the base chemical was does not make a difference

I jump in hereā€¦ Iā€™m using Jackā€™s 321 and if I use my tap water which I usually donā€™t but for example it plays in hereā€¦

My tap ph is 7.5-7.8 depending on temp and ppm of 180ā€¦ if I add Jackā€™s 321 into the water it brings it down to around 6.8. My town however says the ph out of tap is no higher than 6.8ā€¦ um bullshit. You canā€™t trust the 7.3 they are telling youā€¦ think they test it at the facilityā€¦ then it travels miles in pipes to your house it has changed since it leftā€¦

But I wouldnā€™t use sulfuric or hydrochloric acid plant wonā€™t like it much at all, Iā€™d stick with lemon juice if it was meā€¦ Iā€™ve used it after mixing Jackā€™s on a super lemon haze for a laugh one night added about a 1/2 tsp to mix to bring it downā€¦ 100% no sugar no additive lemon juiceā€¦ not easy to find generally speaking but I have a bottle as a back up to my ph down.

But without any meters we are guessing, and those strong acids will easily drop you out of the 5.8-6.5 range with small amounts then you have to fight it back up. Want a weak acid so you arenā€™t far off.

Have you tried hitting a precise pH using strong acids and home equipment?

Edit for clarification: Have you tried hitting various target pH numbers, not just one, using strong aqueous acids diluted into water using droppers/pipettes?

1 Like

I am adjusting pH to a certain value all the time in the lab using these strong acids but I have to admit that with home equipment this can be a bit more tricky.

I have measured my water pH today and it is 7.5, the soil pH is 6.6 , so maybe a tad too high but not by a lot. Do you think it is worth adjusting or should the plants be happy enough with 6.6?

1 Like

I donā€™t adjust the pH of my soil with watering; I build a complex mix with hug buffering capacity and then I encourage a healthy microbe population in the rhizosphere. My municipal tap water is dead 7 with 10PPM, and I use it like that. I think you can do the same thing, although I would want to know more about the mineral content of your water.

I think @Myfriendis410 gave you sound advice. The plants are going to repurpose the oldest fan leaves and transpose mobile nutrients. If the new growth looks healthy, I wouldnā€™t interfere.

2 Likes