PH run off way low

I am confused, I had issues with my first grow , nutrient issues I think from PH too low. I am using Foxfarm light warrior seed starter. It says pH adjusted. My tap water is 8.2PH so I am adjusting it to 6.5-7ph. not adding nutes, My runoff PH is 4 to 5 . Is this normal? what should I be doing. I assumed PH adjusted meant everything would stay around 6.5-7ph . HELP I don’t want to kill my plants. Should I water with high ph to compensate?

1 Like

@bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971

Tagging in a couple mentors to help you.

1 Like

Welcome to the ILGM Forums!

@Jennifer Light Warrior is a soiless mix (meaning not soil)

Soil is a pH of 6.5 and soiless mixes are generally a pH of 5.8

Generally we don’t talk about pH as a range. What are you measuring you pH with?

I am using General hydroponix drops from ph kit. I had same issue using ocean forest soil , ph 7.0 in and runoff around 4.5 why is this happening with no nutes added and is this why my plants are failing

1 Like

What causes run off to be lower , Should water with 8ph to compensate?

How old are your failing plants? Do you have a pic? What lights are you using? If you fill out a support ticket, and offer a pic, it will be easier for the knowledgeable ones to help you.
Do you let your tap water sit out for a day or so to allow for chlorine evaporation before measure of ph and use?

No do not raise the ph that high. that will make your plants sick. @Jennifer

Are you using something like this to check your pH?

pH Test drops 1 ounce

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Test-Kit-1-Ounce/dp/B000BT32UA/ref=sr_1_8?tag=greenrel-20

Ocean forest is a soil. So it shouldn’t be that low. Makes me wonder if there might be an issue with your test kit?

Do you have something with a known pH value that you can test to verily that your kit is accurate?

that is the kit I am using . the plants I am growing now have just started 3 " . I think I burnt them with my new led light , its too late for them I am starting new seeds and don’t want to scew up again. My main question is Why when using ph adjusted soil does my runoff measure 4.5 when I water with 7

The light warrior can be known to have a high oyster shell content or something, and make it be a little squirrelly.

@bob31 as you guys work through this, keep in mind that there could be a potentially high salt content. I suspect that my mixes of of the light warrior with the other ff soils are the reason I’m a big proponent of the dolomite lime.

2 Likes

my answer is the same. :smiley: It shouldn’t be. @Jennifer

@Tr33 is right , you should fill out a Support Ticket! There could be more going on here that we need to look at.

Please be specific with your answers.

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Medium & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

What brand and products of Nutrients are you using? Strength and how often?

Indoor or Outdoor:

Indoor type and size of grow area or tent?

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

I’m really not a big fan of running a whole grow in light warrior. It is meant for seedling starting but I’m concerned when I see someone saying she is getting a low pH reading from OF and LW when I know the OF should be way higher. It makes me suspect her test kit has been compromised or she go some old soils or something, I dunno. It doesn’t jive up with me.

2 Likes

If you want to run with this one @dbrn32 I’d be happy to step back and offer input as needed!

1 Like

Someone should recommend a pH meter. I used the drops when I first started growing and immediately had problems. Too hard to get a really accurate read looking for correct color. @dbrn32.

1 Like

I don’t feel like I’m the best one for the job lol. But I’ve had my butt kicked by what I believe was the light warrior before. At least interweb research and a ppm reading in and out said so.

1 Like

thanks I am just about to start a few more seeds What kind of ph meter should I get any soil suggestions

I agree with you and sk grower, zero confidence in the drops. Mostly because I can barely see as it is, and they are hard to read. But they’re even more difficult to be confident you’re using properly.

2 Likes

I’ve never used coco before but can you dig a small amount out from under the surface and do a PH test in the actual medium instead of just run off measurement?

I’ve always understood ph as balances when it comes to the run off, meaning what goes in is X, what’s at the root zone is Y, and X and Y have to be averaged together to get Z being your run off. therefore going with a small amount of 7.5-8ph to slowly raise it over a period of time till Z gets to where you want it???

Never used coco before so just kinda shooting in the dark

Can you please post her the Amazon link for the $15 yellow one @bob31. I don’t do well with posting links yet.

Here ya go @OldSkunk

I think she already has ph Up and Down

ph meter only

https://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Nutrient-Calibration-Solution-Included/dp/B00PECAQ12/ref=sr_1_6?tag=greenrel-20

7.0 calibration fluid

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0CKYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=greenrel-20

2 Likes

If you pH too far away from the ideal pH number you are just causing no nutrient uptake @TDubWilly and a severe pH mismatch.

It’s ok to go 7.0 to raise a 6.2 back to 6.5 but anything beyond that is not going to get the results you want. Only a truly imbalanced pH situation will result

If that light warrior is really that low of a pH (4.5 ) then she probably shouldn’t use it. When someone tells me they get the same runoff readings from OF and LW it makes me suspect the testing methods.

The better way is to slurry test the medium with pH water and go from there. Another thought is to have @Jennifer Makes sure that bag of LW soil is thoroughly mixed prior to the slurry test.

2 Likes