PH question...im new to this

ok ill do that…i still have to order ph up and ph down…little by little… things can add up very quickly

1 Like

i can across this ph up and down…its 32 oz of each solution for a great price…has any one used it? is $15.19 for 2 32 oz bottles http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Scientific-pH-Control-Kit-32oz-1L-Bottles/191937612742?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D590bd34cd0644a1a9c92862dbddb312e%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D191937615151
it has 4 times the solution of GH PH up and down General Hydroponics pH Control Test Kit - GH 8 oz Up Down Adjustment Combo | eBay

I’m not sure about that Atlas stuff. Only has 2 reviews that I saw, but maybe you can find more info on it through a Google search of the product. From what I did read, it said starting dose was 1 tablespoon per gallon. And if that’s true, that’s an insane amount of solution to be using. It also says its specifically designed for hydro growing. I use GH up and and down, and I only need a few drops for 3 gallons of water to change the pH. But if you find some more info on the Atlas stuff let me know!
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

1 Like

ill do some research on Atlas . But more than likely ill just buy the GH PH products.

So you get your nutrients and mix accordingly to a certain amount of water then you add the PH solution to around ph six or so?

2 Likes

Ph to 5.5-6.5 max

@Edward7983, take a look at this chart for your PH ranges .hydro is 5.8 sweet spot but is ok to swing 5.5-6.2 / / in soil 6.2-7.0 .sweet spot is 6.5 .Hope this Clarifies this ph issue .
Hammer

2 Likes

What would you do if say, your soil is around 7 and your water is around 6, and you want to get your soil to around 6_6.5. You water your plant and your runoff is still 7. Do you keep watering and checking runoff until the ph changes? Thanks.

1 Like

Yes ive ran it down as low as 4.3 to get 5.5
So keep adjusting down till you get it where you want it

If you do that you’ll end up drowning it . What @Brian091180 is trying to say is you must adjust your ph, then water and check .
Hammer

1 Like

Thank you yes thats what i mean i didnt explain myself correctly thank you id feel horrible if my advice killed someone babies

it’s just his last words he’d said ,that made me want to clarify, that point to less knowledgeable readers.
Hammer .

1 Like

Im new myself so i get all nervous giving advice

2 Likes

But ,you are getting there , my friend :wink:
Hammer .

2 Likes

Thank you very much mean alot coming from you

Knowledge is to share, not to keep to yourself. Don’t be nervous at all, every suggestion adds to someone else’s knowledge .Ommmmmmmm…or something like that.

4 Likes

Ok, got it. Thanks!

Well, I’ll add my opinion too. This is what I have learned over the 2 grows I’ve done.
I used MG soil because I didn’t know better. I had problems with the soil not drying out enough so there were probably root problems. Currently I’m using MG catus mix and it drains very well. I mixed Worm Casings and some organic top soil into the catus mix. It seems to be doing very well if you look at my grow pics.
After the seeds get fairly established I put them into a 1 gal container till I see some roots thru the drain holes, then I transplant them into new 5 gal buckets from Home Depot or Lowes with 3-4 drainage holes at the bottom on the sides, not the bottom. These holes allows for catching the draining water to measure the ph of the drained water.
PH is extremely important. I was using a cheap manual soil meter with 2 or 3 metal prongs that you insert into the soil-they suck!!
Get this meter at amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHPW2RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Measure the PH of the raw water first, mine is usually 7.5 so I use about 1/2 teaspoon or more of citric acid to lower the ph to 6.1 then I add the Cal-Mag and or Hydroguard to protect the roots.
Then I measure the ph again to be sure it doesn’t go too low or too high. The lowest I feel comfortable with is 5.7 but I try to stay around 6.
I use this citric acid - Amazon.com
If the ph is too low I use Arm&Hammer Super Washing Soda to raise it.
Before I got the meter, the plants were starting to do poorly, leaves dying, plants not growing. Using the meter, the ph measured below 5.3 or maybe lower. I researched what I could used to raise the ph and found Arm&Hammer Super Washing Soda had the same ingredient as “ph up” and was much cheaper. Hope that helps you!

2 Likes