Ph Problems, please help a new grower!

Great tips… I lowered my light and it’s.about 23" away at 50%. Temps are down near 70 now.

I think I am starting to.understand the EC PPM thing. What I don’t understand though, is how balancing the EC ties in with increasing the amount of nutrients you give the plant. So I imagine at first when you give the water only a small amount of nutes it will have a low PPM. Once the plants call for more nutes, the PPM will rise. So I assume plants require different EC-PPM concentrations at different stages?

I am having a little trouble still with the pH. Seems to be turning slightly basic after sitting for a period. I have noticed some of my hydroton rocks getting a little white which is probably salt. Would it be wise to flush the rocks and rooter with some pH water?(not over the reservoir) I know the rooters shouldn’t get too soaked though so not sure.

Hello guys, would really appreciate any help on this one
Have a question about pH, i am wondering if it is in the correct range for my 4 girls
I am not seeing any symptoms of distress with them but i feel they could be better
I have that low tech ph meter with the 2 rods sticking out, i tried it on bottled water and figured out that he reads1 unit less then indicated on the bottle and so i adjust my readings accordingly
So i stick it in the soil after i water the plants and it reads 6.7 or so
Lately it is reading around 7.2-7.3
The thing is when i Test the bottle were I dissolve the nutes and from which i water it indicates smthg like 4?! Is that normal?? And if it is why my soil ph is getting higher if am watering with water that has a low ph?

This is a picture of the girls, 2 Sskunk and 2 WW all autos and fem ( opposite corners) under a 400 wats hps
They are 39 days old since germination and put under scrog 7 days ago, currently on 2-1-4 nute formula with micro nutrients

Looks from the picture they are flowering and in flowering is suggest change the concentration ratio, I’m flowering N should be less than P and K, as for the ph meter id get advise from @MacGyverStoner or @Donaldj

Yes its my last feeding with this ratio, i already prepared a 1-2-4 formula for the next watering :v:
Its my first grow indoors and am learning as i go but i would really like to screw up as little as possible :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I have noticed ( contrarily to the outdoor plants) tht when i water them it takes them about 16-24 hours to boost up and dont look thirsty anymore, weird… Is that from the pH? Or could it be the nutes concentration? Or I thought it could be the temperature??? What do you think guys

I have one of those probe meters too Marco, I wouldn’t trust it for pH… mine is nowhere near accurate, I only use it for moisture setting.

you can get one of those aquarium/pool test kits for a couple dollars, they are many many times better!

1 Like

Its because thats how long the plant takes to uptake its nutrients, compared to out door we let nature do the work (those of us who do grow outdoor)

I will get one of those tom, hope wont be hard to find
I put the lights closer, they were way far, 65 cm far, thats too much for a 400 hps, now they are at 38 cm distance, lets see how they will react))

1 Like

Well they responded wonderfully when i got the lights closer :smiley: i put them even closer and fed them tonight, hoping for a good surprise when i come from work tom :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: from now on its watching those buds fatning up! And this is my first indoor grow and last outdoor was about 6 years ago so the anticipation is phenomenal :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 questions though:

The super phosphate i bought is like small white pebbles and after 4 days having it in that bottle of water with the other nutes who already dissolved u can still see most of it as white pebbles no matter how much i shake the bottle. Is that normal? Did the P dissolve from the white pebbles or its still there as the pebbles in themselves?

On the other hand one of the girls is showing around 4 leaves curled in, like in the pic i attached, what is that from?? Ph? Fertz overdose or underdose??

The leaf curling is usually due to to much nitrogen but here is a chart

My bets ride on to much nitrogen though buddy

2 Likes

Thank you for the chart my friend
What is weird though that one of the 4 plants are showing these signs ( just a very few leaves) but none on the other 3 and all of them are fed from the same solution
Anyway ill keep an eye on them and here is a picture after i moved the light closer and switched to a 1-2-4 nutes formula)))

PS: i got the pots closer to have the girls under where the 400 hps is the strongest

2 Likes

Yea any time she sure does look good

sorry it took so long to get back to you on your problem …to get a faster reply hit the reply button on this comment in the bottom Right side of this post , itll send a notice to my box so ill know your awaiting a reply …:smiley: … EC and PPM are 2 different ways to measure the TOTAL of dissolved solids in the water …if you have well water that is 100ppm and you add a total of nutes EXAMPLE ONLY 200 ppm you’d have a total of 300 ppm… SO if you have 1million parts of water and you add 100 equal parts of nutes you would have 100 ppm … now MJ can take a total of 1500 ppm “top end” at that point the water becomes too saline and the plants cant absorb that much nutes and youll get a condition called lock out " … NOW in hydro. its comes into play like this the plants drink a lot of water but don’t use all the available nutes .SO as the water level is decreased the ppm will raise some … so you add water .and measure your ppm and you find it lower than you want …so you add only a little nutes till the level “ppm” , comes up to what you want … this is as simple as i can make it … As to the build up your having if you have well water it will contribute to mineral build up “Salts,” and when you add nutes you’ll see it more … if your seeing adverse affects ,yes just flush it good … some build up is slight normal as the cay pellets wick the water up and evaporate leaveing the residue … Let me know if this helps … if you have questions …reply to the reply button on this post itll show to me faster … Hammer or PM me … peace

1 Like