pH & pph with ro water

I’m using RO water and the pH is 6.8put my ppm’s for only like 37 when I’m feeding them once they’re deluded in the water but they come out at like 1220 is that normal for them to be so low unless I’m reading my PPM meter wrong cuz when I use tap water just to check it it shows like 350 that’s without nutrients I’m just wondering I must be reading something wrong what should the PPM be with RO water and the pH be with r o obviously you want to have it around 6.7 or 6.8 on the pH but going in what should I be
reading if you could help me I would appreciate it someone I confused😵

It sounds like you’re reading everything correctly. 1220 is about right for a mature plant nearing harvest, maybe a little high for one earlier in flowering or in veg, depending on the line of nutrients. Some have the ppm near 2000 during flowering. The typical ppm in RO water will be very low, near 0 hopefully. 37ppm is reasonable. 350 is somewhat hard tap water. In soil you want to shoot for 6.3 - 6.8. So if you’re using RO water, I’d add whatever calcium/magnesium your line calls for first, then the base stuff, then the additives if you’re using any, then check pH/ppm. Adjust as needed to get to what you’re shooting for…for example, your last runoff measured a little low, 6.2…I’d adjust my next feeding to maybe 6.6, or even 6.7 to bring it up a little. If the last runoff ppm was a little high, I’ll feed a little lower ppm the next time, or vice versa. I hope that helps. I am a little scatter-brained sometimes, I hope it’s not too confusing lol

4 Likes

@Elheffe702 right on man that helps extremely well I was kind of freaking out when it was so low on my ppm’s what’s the RO water I originally started out with tap too hard to adjust plus the more I read the better the RO is and I can get my PH down to 65 will say on an average that was just a reading from last night when I do my run off it is only around 1220 to 1350 so I’m not quite sure how to get up to 2000 in my soil pH pretty-much maintains a 7.0 I know you guys say it should be around 6.5 but I’m really trying not to mess with my soil too much I used the organic Fox farms Happy frog soil what’s the worm casings ,bat guanos all that stuff that’s so far they seem to be quite empty no Dead leaves no leaves turning yellow brown I’m wondering if I need to get a trellis netting cuz there are a lot of buds cuz I don’t know how to prune them the right way I did one looks pretty good anyway I won’t keep you appreciate all your help man and I may have to bug you one more time well have a wonderful day

2 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting you raise your ppm to 2000, just that some nutrient lines call for numbers that high. Depending what you’re using, 2000 might kill plants, or it might be just right. It’s more important to look at the plants, and use the numbers as reference rather than an end all be all. If the plants are happy, keep doing what you’re doing! Anytime, man. Have a great day.

3 Likes

Looks like eljeffe has you set

1 Like

Don’t know how you are achieving your RO water but in my case I bought the 4 stage buddy system and took the fourth one off, don’t need it. I get 3 PPM from my RO system and 7.0 pH. Now when using RO water you must always when doing your regular watering add a teaspoon per gallon of CalMag or you will have big issues. The CalMag drives my pH down and I use a tiny amount of Earth Juice pH up to get to 6.0-6.2 For Organic Grow, for FFOF you want to shoot for 6.5-6.8 for optimal uptake of nutrients. The CalMag I add puts me at 193 PPM. I am close to switching and have my PPM with nutes up to 500 right now, you want to increase your PPM each week to you get to that 1200 area then last couple weeks with FFOF flush like hell to get all those synthetic salts out of your smoke.

Yeah when I mixed my nutrients in my RO last night before I mixed them I was right around 28 and my pH was it 6.2 after mixing my ppm’s jumped up but my pH stayed about 6.3 but I was running like 158 believe it was on my ppm’s but they seem to thrive I have a 5 stage RO system for my house I’ve learned if I change all five of my filters about every 3 months I have pretty good management control over the ph and the ppm’s my first indoor grow all these guys here that has been helping me has been wonderful feeding me all kinds of awesome information I really appreciate them so many I would have to look back through my thing to remember all their names I don’t want to forget one but they all know who they are I appreciate it between them and I guess some good luck they seem to be thriving over the last five days they’ve grown like 3 and 1/2 in tall alone they are really getting nice but thank you for all your help. I will keep you all of breast and some new pictures as they become young ladies instead of girls

2 Likes

At the end of flowering when you do your flush do you use straight arrow on that or do you just use tap and then try to bring your pH down on that just curious sounds like a good system you got there I said before I do run tomorrow but I am still a little bit high on a couple things so going to change my filters see if I can get a different reading on that but thanks for your help once I get that in calmag I will tell you what I got on that and just curious like I said again on the flush part

Well you got a good question there because I am just starting this organic stuff and I am happy with it so far, I have grown with Fox Farms and synthetic fertilizers in the past and I had to flush very hard at the end to get the salts out and I would use RO water and nothing else in it and could get it down to four hundred or so ppm’s. I don’t know if that has anything to do with the final product but now I am trying something different and I am sure that when I get to the end I am going to have to figure out if I am going to still use Cal Mag the last 2 weeks or not. Personally flush with just straight water. Flushing with RO water would be better but just watch your run off ppm’s. Good luck and happy growing.

Straight RO water is fine for flushing.

1 Like

Right on man thanks a lot yeah I read that RO is a lot better but trying to get the nutes and everything in & the keep ppm’s down and the PH down at the right sometimes can be difficult I’ve only been using half of the neuts what they call for and it seems to be making the plants do well so first grow so I’m just experimenting in general thank you for all your help

2 Likes

Cool just didn’t know if I had or needed to use a certain kind like you know this is my first grow so still getting all the great advice from you guys really appreciate it can’t thank you all enough

2 Likes

Just wanted to give you all update unlike plants there are now 35 days old today looks like they’re starting to the flower a little bit here’s a couple picsIMG_20190415_195214499~2 IMG_20190415_195222874_HDR~2 IMG_20190415_195236203_HDR~2 IMG_20190415_195239828_HDR

5 Likes

Those are beautiful plants. What kind are they? What ever your doing must be right, those are about the best young plants I’ve seen on here. Good Job!:herb:

Thanks :+1: they are ILGM white widow feminized. believe me I am not sure what I am doing right it’s my first grow. RO water a little fertilizer and alot of love.

4 Likes

You’re doing great. Those are some happy looking plants. I don’t see any flowers yet, but you may start to see pistils here and there, just showing their sex. They won’t go fully into flower until you change the lighting schedule to less than 14 hours of light each day, typically 12/12. I would do that soon if you haven’t. They’ll stretch quite a bit once they begin to flower, and you may run out of space quickly. Nice work :+1:

1 Like

Ya I have changed them from 18/6 to 16/8 and now they are at 14/10, I have been doing it every 3 days apart, in 2 days I will get them to 12/12, hopefully they will continue to flurish and keep growing up :thinking:

1 Like

Hey I have a question I’m running RO water and I’m adding 5 ml of calmag per gallon of water I have Master a master B nutrients ginormous Bloom nutrients after adding everything my pH is between 5.3 & 5.5 my PPM is 320 on the run off my pH is at 6.3 and my PPM is 1260 does that seem about right? Plants are doing well I flipped them to flower stage there are 7 weeks old today, each plants each has 10 to 14 buds per plant I’m just not sure how I’m going to keep the buds up without falling down I guess it is okay to tie them up to a bamboo stake I fimed two of my plants topped 2 of my plants and left the other two regular they are ILGM White widow feminized they are my first grow they’re in a 60x60x78 tent but the tent is filling up quite fullI know you’re an expert on these things so I just wondering if you could let me know if what I’m doing is the right thing or do you have some other suggestions on ph and PPM they’re in their sleep cycle now but I’ll take some pics tomorrow send them to you see if you tell me things are going well sorry to bug you man just it’s just overwhelming trying to read what I should do what I shouldn’t do but thanks for taking your time and reading my book I wrote sorry buddy

It sounds like you’re right on with the pH and PPM. Buds so heavy they have to be tied up are a good thing! Some like to add silica or something throughout the plant’s life to add strength to the stalks and help them hold themselves up, but at this stage, I’d just tie them. Careful throwing around that ‘expert’ word lol. I’m barely more experienced than you, buddy. But I’m flattered. Never bugging me, fire away with any question you think of. Someone on here will have an answer, and if not, we’ll have fun finding it together! I look forward to seeing your pics! :v:

1 Like

Right on appreciate you getting back with me yeah when I get home from work I’ll take some pics send them to you my wife hates what I’m doing but she says they’re beautiful maybe I can get her to change your mind on a few things Mexican man

1 Like