Ph not coming down!

You know I sure never thought old black sand that was sitting on an elevated blow line would be alkaline…but it sure is. Slurry test shows that it is 7.8 to 8 ! The slurry even had a nasty cloud of murk that took a long time to settle. I’m sure it was even higher than that. So now it’s either flush more or re pot with healthier soil. If I were to re pot it would be nice to even rinse the roots clean because I’m sure there is enough of it right in the root ball to still cause on going problems but may be too stressful. All depends on what the next flush will do…would it be silly to flush again after 48 hours ? I guess if it doesn’t show more a of a positive flush the second round…fresh soil may be the only option. By the looks of how much it takes to move and rinse this sludge it’s going to be a battle !

2 Likes

Glad you ran the slurry test to be sure it was the black sand. If it were my plant, I would transplant into only the promix with perlite. What do you think @Donaldj?

I was wondering about the sand but I know when I owned reptiles we bought special sand which had extra Calcium and Sulfer for the terrarium :wink: You could try to rinse but it is hard not to end up with large air pockets when you repot.
This is just a thought bare with me but you could likely clone your ladies and grow SOG either way you are looking at month set back for plants to fully recover or 2 weeks to root clones and some time to veg?

2 Likes

Well I just saw her and my god did it ever put on some growth overnight ! Most I’ve seen in a while ! Temp is at 77 and humidity I have at 70 %…leaves are reaching for the sky :+1:t2:…I’m not out of this yet and looks like best to flush again instead being evasive to the roots. It’s actually filling in on the top and the lower branches are even coming in with fresh leaves faster than expected. The moisture level is around 75 % in the pot…when can you pros tell me would be best to flush again because I’m half ready to do so

2 Likes

Great news! If she’s growing again, I agree with you about flushing and not transplanting.

2 Likes

Glad to hear u got to the bottom of ur issue my friend.

Giving her a break and watching it grow and it took off like a bat outa hell ! I still am going to do another flush and see if I can fix the problem more…then if I can get it there I will give a feed at the end. It’s nice being able to see the new growth and how nice it is…quite satisfying ! I will post a couple pics in a while here and see how you guys think it came along :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I would be careful when you flush because u can do damage just as u can with the wrong ph. Just keep an eye on her let her dry out a bit before you flush again. I would wait till she needs a drink. If your seeing new growth then i would test your ph and run off and see where your at before flushing test ur ph and fun off first it may be all good now. As it can take a day or 2 for your soil to settle.

2 Likes

I have done a second flush now as I said I would have…the end test result was coming out at 7.1 and 7.05 from a solution of 6.3. The first flush ended up testing 7.8 to 8.1 at the end so it’s good to see progress coming along. She is stretching out quite nicely and new growth is filling in so thick I will have to thin it out. Should a guy do another flush or give a good feed when it’s dried out enough ? And if I put in 6.3 and it came out at 7.1 Does this mean the soil ph is around 7.9 to 8 ? As well I notice that the ph had dropped by itself while drying out because when I started the second flush the numbers coming out were 7.45 to 7.38

Idealy you want your soil to be around 6.2 to 6.5 . Your ph shpuld be 6.5 as tht is the best ph for Mj’s roots to take in all the correct nutrients. I would flush again and i am gaving to do this myself yesterday and the day before tomz i will flush again and test the run off on the other one. I ph’d my water at 5.8 till i get down a bit more but 6.0 is good aswell. I will be doing tht tomz as i am 5 days from harvest maybe 7 or 8days depending on my girls that is i hope she recovers and there isnt any major damage to my buds but wont know till the end. But yeah i would flush till your run off is 6.5 no lower than 6.3 thats my opinion 6.5 is the perfect ph for them thou.

1 Like

Good morning my friend hows your girls doing today. Did you give thm more ph plain water. As i wouldnt give any nute unless u have your ph set right thn i would wait till thy dry out A bit i gave my girl a break from flush i flushed mines 2days ago and 3days ago so both will be due more ph’d water. I wont be giving anymore nnutes. But you can once you have your ph down but u need to start off light with your nutes give them half strength nutes and work up from there. I hope ive giving you some useful help goodluck my friend and grow in peace.

1 Like

I have the same problem: 3 plants, one in coco where the pH is good (5.9 going in, 5.7 run out) and 2 in soil with messed up pH…6.9 going in and 5.9 coming out. I flushed one today with FloraKleen added to remove salts and got it into a more respectable range of 6.5 in and 6.2 out. I’ll do the other plant tomorrow and then both plants again in a few days. Interesting that this only happens in soil (I’ve had this problem before) but not in coco. I think we’ll recover though, hope you and @Steve-o do too!

1 Like

Thank you my friend we both have same issue both using same brand of soil i think it may well be the brand causing it am not completely sure but it seems the only explanation since i watch my ph going in and i dont always do my run off and i have been in and out hospital for a week so maybe i messed up when feeding when i was unwell and gave them too much of something tht increases soil ph. ??? But today should be my last flush got a day bwtween both my girls so its just the way i like it one little bit in front am also going to try couple of things to help boost potency etc stem spliting and 48hrs dark but i will do tht tomz or the nxt day give them chance to recover from the flush. Then split the stem. And i should see something happen before nxt wkend and i hope that my issue hasnt done anything to my actual buds. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

I dont remember the soil brand, I got it at a very large garden store. I think I just let it get too far out of hand instead of flushing sooner. How long are you before harvest? Are you seeing amber trichomes?

1 Like

Yeah some not loads but more each day they be ready by nxt wkend

1 Like

Sorry for the long wait but finally got some pics…still on the mend and now going on to the fourth flush in a couple days. Growth is explosive with four main tops and six lowers…the one in the middle is one of four additional branches coming up from the second initial topping to fill in the center when the branches start to bend with weight from the hopefully huge nugs. There are so many bud points it is uncountable and fresh stems are coming up like unbelievable…this ones got quite the genetics ! For a first try I think I’ve done pretty well ! Pics are before and after.

Before :

After :

Have not used anything to tie down the branches for LST but instead do daily bending and training to make the branches train to stay. I believe it is Lemon Kush

This thing has so much vigor that I’ve had to cut off leaves of all sizes…every two or three days. Excessive amounts even when needed to get light down better and not let it choke itself out. Just being careful of which ones to take in order not to hurt the growth. :smiley:

5 Likes

Ok guys got another question…and that is how many tops or bud points can be supported by the plant to produce nice buds ? I had read that 10 to 12 bud points is what should be but I have 14 counting the main top on one of the secondary branches and the other 7 branches ar the same. It has loaded itself up with bud sites so crazy it is amazing and I don’t know if it’s from my pruning techniques or just the genetics. My options would be to either start pruning away some to give the more vigorous ones a better chance or tie down the branches via LST which will spread the growth and allow more room. Any help appreciated !

I’ve got 30 or so buds on a pretty small plant. Just spread them out so they all get lots of light.

You can support the colas using bamboo stakes if they start getting to heavy. You can also use them to pull them out wider to get more light to your centers if needed.

3 Likes

Well the work is paying off minus the slight problems…ph continues to be an issue due to the dirt but limping her along with continuous maintenance and looks quite descent! Main stalk also split down three inches dead center on the y point where the first topping was…and is now healed and stronger than ever…now as precaution I keep a heavy twist tie wrapped up the stalk for extra support in a crossed pattern and a zip tie on the joint knuckles which can stay there ultimately untill harvest. Mixing my own fert blend and added hard wood ash into the concoction and seeing results but may have a flush in the near future as the one lime colored flower shows a phos deficiency…but over all enjoying the show this lady is putting on. This is the start of week 4…what do you think guys ?

![image|374x500]
Sea of green ! Buds on this girl are actually uncountable and may just have to learn how to feed and sustain the bud production. The sugar has blown up pretty crazy in the last two days. I am really glad I have saved it’s genetics and they had such strength that they rooted in one week with authority…such an amazing plant and testing its limits is very interesting. This has taught a guy so much and the progress of the new generation is advanced and fairing out with more success !
(upload://6oMNs2wvszOv3oew3FKOz5wma9j.jpeg)

4 Likes