PH meter testing questions

I’m fixing to purchase a PH tester. I need to know a few things
1 Do you testwater after you have added nutrients before watering plant? Do you test water run off from plants? My Is a soil setup. I’ve never tested PH So would like to have all details on basis of this like do you test water before you water plants ECT…

1 Like

@Hogmaster, @latewood, @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

Also what is good PH TESTING pen to start with on budget

Check this out for pH info
Peace

4 Likes

I have the Apera PH-20 and for the money it can’t be beat. Don’t throw away money (and maybe plants) on a super cheapo. You get what you pay for.

Verndoc has you covered on the info he linked :+1:

10 Likes

Thanks for the onfo

2 Likes

The Apera was my second one because I tried to go cheap. Like @elheffe702 said spend the extra the first time and get the Apera.

4 Likes

Great meter. One caveat though, the prob/bulb is not replaceable. So if you break it, it’s worthless. I found out the hard way.

2 Likes

Very good point!

1 Like

I did same thing. Tried to go cheap at first but now have the aphera. Didnt know replacement bulbs werent an option.

2 Likes

https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/measure-ph-tds-soil-regularly/

Using a decent digital ph meter is best way to check you ph
Always check and adjust after mixing nutrients
I like to have a base level so I check my water regularly to ensure it’s in range
Hope this info helps

3 Likes

I have a related tip:
After you mix anything into your water, wait 10 minutes before testing the pH to ensure everything has dissolved and mixed.
When I first got my Apera meter I thought something was wrong with it because I would run a test right after making a change and the pH would keep changing every 5-10 seconds. Then someone told me about waiting and that took care of it - now it locks in within a few seconds.
The Apera is a great meter.

4 Likes

I too didn’t realize the bulb wasn’t replaceable. So now I have thie apera ph60, which does have a replaceable bulb. Plus, it’s got a backlit screen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIQE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I also have the Apera ph20.($49 on Amazon) You can’t replace the tip, but I’ve had mine almost a year and its awesome. The Apera ph60 is $30 more ($79)and you can buy replacement sensors, but they are over $30 too. For that price, I’d rather just buy another new ph20 meter if and when mine breaks…just my opinion tho :v::bear:

6 Likes

do not buy a BUDGET pH Testing pen, you only have to buy a decent one once, where as buying a cheap one will only end in tears…this is the one .:man_farmer:

1 Like

I agree on buying a quality meter this is the one of the ones I use

I have another one same company does dissolved oxygen as well

These are the only meters I use for testing my water

3 Likes

This was the same math I did.

4 Likes

Go rich man :wink: @Countryboyjvd1971 I no you have to use them at work very nice buddy

1 Like

Cheap PH pens do not last. I would scrimp and save and buy the Blue Labs PH Pen. Best on the market. Not overly expensive. We had the owner on our podcast last week.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluelab-PENPH-Pen-Plant-Germination/dp/B005POOJHG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548808069&sr=8-5&keywords=blue+labs+truncheon?tag=greenrel-20

Watch this for the best info. Growing with fishes ep. 119

2 Likes

Like @elheffe702 @MattyBear and @Laurap; I use the Apera PH20 and will replace it should it break.

4 Likes