pH meter calibration help

@beardless thanks man. I will keep an eye on them and make sure they don’t do anything too weird.

1 Like

I wore out a cheapatron Amazon PH meter, bought an Apera, used that for 18 months, replaced with another Apera, used that for 18 months then finally broke down and bought a Bluelab which does PH and TDS and replacement probe is $12.

Storage solution is required for all PH meters: the glass dries out if stored without liquid and anything like distilled water changes the glass chemically making it unreliable.

3 Likes

Okay for what we are doing a 2 point calibration. Has got you covered. 7 pH an 4 pH. With sweet spot being 6.2 to 6.8 you’re within your calibration range and being accurate. If you was controlling PH on a water scrubber in the industrial world with a set point of 8PH you would need a three point calibration of buffer solution with 4pH 7 pH and 10 pH. Good luck

1 Like

@kellydans I appreciate the info.

@Myfriendis410 ok so it sounds like this pH meter is off at the very least and quite possibly shot because I had never heard of storing it in a solution etc, so it’s definitely been stored dry and my readings simply can’t be accurate. In adjusting pH up and down, over half of my pH up is gone and I still have almost a full bottle of pH down. I will look into a better one such as those you’ve mentioned. I am also hoping this means I’m not as hopeless with nutes as I had feared. I told several people I couldn’t believe the nute situation was my hang up and where I was having all my issues lol.

1 Like

Investing in a good pH probe is going to save you a lot of headaches. And you’re not going to be chasing the calibration all the time .cheap ones are very bad to drift.

2 Likes

Omg this is great !!!

2 Likes

@BetrayedSoul man I claim all my mistakes along my journey in growing lol. Someone will learn something other than just me. And if my trip ups can help the next guy get his grow done then I’m happy to be of service lol.

2 Likes

My first ph meter was a vivosun.
I remember opening it and the little direction pamphlet had such small writing that I just threw it out along with the little packs of powder to calibrate it. Lmao

I figured out what that was for months later Haha when I needed to recalibrate I was like omfg that’s the stuff I threw out…

1 Like

I was just checking water supplies with my Vivosun meter. I have been buying RO water from grocery store in 5gal bottles. Ph 6.3 PPM 17 . I have tested this water several times and always stays consistent. I also tested my other 2 water sources. Tap water, 7.6 ph 118 PPM. Tap water through a PURE filter 7.2 PH, 91 PPM.
I cross checked my soil, ( ffof) with a liquid ph test and always get 6.3. I do not recall reading anything about storing pens in a solution. Still working for me.

2 Likes

Yes cant get too cheap of a ph pen. Ive bought 3 already first one u adjust with flathead and the other 2 u calibrate with a button. Those 2 suck. They go out of eack right away. My first original one still works fine the other 2 were like 15 or so off amazon. Trash… and the calibration powder u add to 250ml i save in a waterbottle and mark each one

1 Like

It will fail on you when you need it. The problem with the instructions of the cheap ones is they’re translated from Mandarin to Korean to Japanese to Hebrew to some obscure Russian dialect then Spanish and finally English. But english as spoken by a dyslexic 3 year old.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

When calibrating ph meter which do we use, 0.1 or 0.01

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

There are two calibration solutions I use. A 4.0pH and 7.0pH

I think there is a 3rd 11.0 solution, but I have not seen it nor have I used it.

What meter do you have?