Ph ing soil with fox farm trio and ffof

So I have read many conflicting opinions about ph ing your nute solution and water when using fox farm trio with fox farm ocean forest soil. Some say that you MUST ph when using these products because of the inherent low ph of the fox farm nutes. Others say to not ph at all. I have read that many growers end up running into deficiency problems when they HAVE ph ed. What are you guys’ opinions? I am only about one week after transplant into the ffof so from what i have experienced and read with ffof I should be good for a couple more weeks before I add any nutes. I am using city tap water which I ket breath to gas off any chlorine or anything. It measures about 6.5-6.8. Thanks in advance!

If your ph is proper and you see a deficiency, that usually means you aren’t supplying enough of said element.

In my experience it’s the opposite of what you describe. The elements can be there, but if ph is out of range the elements aren’t available to your plants.

6 Likes

The ph in my well water changes so I definitely check The deficiencies come when you don’t check and be sure to mix all your nutrients in your water then check your pH and I just while everything is in ! And what @dbrn32 said

4 Likes

Thanks guys. It seemed silly to me to NOT ph but I had to ask just because people’s post had given me doubt lol. 5hey clearly just didnt understand what was going on. Thanks again.

There were far fewer accounts of deficiency when not ph ing as apposed to ph ing. I had to ask even though it seemed quite contrary to most all other information I have come across. I will definately ph lol. I was debating on weather to order the ph up and down. I just ordered it lol, thanks for your input once again!

1 Like

Thank you for your input and advice its greatly appreciated!

1 Like

FFOF likes to sit around 6.0-6.1 by itself. Most of the time I was going in around 6.8 to counter it. When you start getting into bloom nutes, it brings the water down to around 5.9 (water starting at 7.3). Definitely had to add a bunch of PH up to get it to 6.5-6.8

4 Likes

Thank you for your input! I will defo be phing.

1 Like

Not sure where that is or what they were using, I can only speak from personal experience. Every situation is going to have different variables and different results.

Sometimes people will have tap water that with a specific nutrient ratio will naturally fall within an acceptable range, so there would be no reason for them to adjust ph. Others may use lime or another ph buffering amendment in their soil, that will do it to.

So whether or not you need to adjust your solution can be all over the place. But you should definitely keep your root zone at an optimal ph range for uptake.

3 Likes

I agree with the boys it’s always best to check and adjust your ph

I personally found checking run off was a must when I used ffof soil and nutrients
If you maintain proper soil ph levels and feed proper ppm you plants will thrive

Not check ph and or ppm your plants will have issues

3 Likes

Plus; you can (and should) go MUCH longer than a coupe of weeks in OF. You should be good into flower with that soil.

2 Likes

Great, thank you. Yeah, my tap water measured 7.2 this morning (I havent received my ph up and down kit yet). I know it was slightly out of the range but the girls were thirsty. The run off measured 6.56 so we are good now. My ph kit will be here today so I’ll be ready for my nutes.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ok great, thank you.

1 Like