Ph / flush seedling soil?

First time grow starting tomorrow. The seeds are soaking in ph 6.5, 78F, RO water.

Would it be wise of me to flush my soil (Fox Farm Ocean Forest) before using it? Would I be flushing out the nutrients that it ships with?

All help is appreciated…

F

1 Like

@garberfc, why would you flush ffof soil… It’s expensive and has great nutrient value… Personally, I have never put seeds directly into ffof, a lot of folks do… Some say that ffof is too hot and can burn young seedlings… What I do is put seed from germinating in water into a neutral soil, Seed starter soil in a solo cup and then when it grows and gets old enough, I then transplant into the ffof soil…good luck and def don’t flush ffof, your better off starting them off non another product first

2 Likes

You would most definitely wash some.of the nutrients away by flushing FFOF. I have seen a few folks state that this soil might be a little hot for seedlings however I have used it from germination and am now into.week 3 of flowering and have had no issues.

2 Likes

Hi @Zombo, I wish I had some starter soil, but I don’t and to be honest I don’t know where I’d find it locally.
What starter soil would you recommend? I’ve heard that Miracle Grow is very hot.
Thanks,
F

I have used a seedling starter soil from Miracle Grow… It has no time release fertilizer in it, it basically has a NPK value of 0.03 each for nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium… You can find it for 5 bucks at Lowes, would think Home Depot and even walmart would have it… @garberfc I have used this product and it’s fine to work with… Any seed starting mix that has little or no nutrients would be fine… Ie sphagnum peat moss mixes etc… I also ph water to around 6 for these mixes as well… Hope this helps you

You may be fine in ffof, I just have never done it, but lots of peeps have done this…just giving you my experience… I know some folks will mix ffof with fox farms happy frog,… They put the ffof on bottom and happy frog on top layer… So you have different options @garberfc

@garberfc I start all my seeds in soil. My 3rd grow and have used miracle grow, just natural organic from walmart and now Happy Frog and they all grew fine. But in my opinion the happy frog has made my grow a lot better in yield. I don’t baby my plants and I kinda use the sources I have to care for them. Tap water not PH’d. Dynagro veg in veg and bloom in bloom. CalMag if needed (used once). Ive noticed here in this forum that most people that have problems with their plants are the guys that try to care for them way too much.

1 Like

@Zombo, is this the soil https://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goprod/miracle-gro-seed-starter-potting-soil/prod70340 ?

That’s seems to be it… Make sure that it has the low NPK… It’s basically peat moss and very little NPK… They consider it a soil less mix that’s why the water ph should be 5.8-6… But after you go into ffof when plant gets transplanted your ph should be 6.5-6.8 range… @garberfc

1 Like

@Zombo, here’s the mix " 0.03 - 0.03 - 0.03". I’ll pick some up tomorrow. Maybe FFOF on bottom 1/3, top 2/3 MG. I know @BudBuddy, I’m really over thinking it…

That’s cool, @garberfc… Good luck… I’m trying to finish my first grow ever and
Believe me, I have done a lot of over thinking! Lol… My second grow is going now, 3 WW and they are doing great and I have a bunch more experience

1 Like