PH Fluctuating Problem

I have a 6 bucket bato bucket system that the ph is raising every day. I’ll lower it all the way down to 5.0 and the next day it will be above 7. I’ve changed the water out and completely cleaned the system twice and I’m still having the same problem. I’m using the maxi series grow and bloom and some cal mag and some silicon ( ref in pictures below ) and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it keeps going up so high. I took the air bubblers out because I seen somewhere that aeration can change the ph but it’s still raising. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

Aeration will drive ph, but lots of things will. Your roots will also require the oxygen.

How much water is in this system total? The level on buckets appear to be low, and less solution you have the more issues with ph you will see. The elements in solution help to buffer ph, and as they are processed will cause ph swings. Silica will also raise ph. Solution tenp will also change ph, among other problems.

1 Like

Roots need oxygen, what’s the temp of the nutrient solution and are you using a root inoculant in your buckets.

This looks like the start of root rot unless your nutrient solution is dark. Healthy roots should be white . Looks like slime in the upper circle??

2 Likes

I usually have bubblers in the reservoirs to aerate the water and it stays cool to the touch in the 60’s most of the time, I have the pumps running twice a day for an hour to rejuvenate the water in the buckets, the amount of water in the res and the buckets all together is about 20-22 gallons, I had floralicious in the water which made it a brown tea color, so I’ll probably put the bubblers back in, any other suggestions for the ph? Right now I just make the ph lower in the res before it runs every time to balance it out

Maybe I should increase the intervals that the pump circulates the water so it’s sitting in the buckets less?

1 Like

I feel eventually I’ll have to purchase a 6 split air pump for each bucket but I felt that just having the res aerated would be enough, maybe I should have the water pump constantly running

:point_up_2: this will supply the needed oxygen the roots need. Look into HydroGuard or Sourhern Ag. I add the Southern Ag to my resevervoir as a root inoculant :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Woke up and checked my PH today and it was at 8 again. Brought it back down to 5.8, losing hope lol

1 Like

Get some hydro gaurd and put air stones attached to an oxygen pump in every bucket and it should be fine.

1 Like

Also you should paint those buckets black. When I grew hydro I read the buckets need to be lightproof or it will cause root issues as well. Best of luck brother!

3 Likes

What’s the temps in the nutrient solution in the buckets? Any temp above 70 and you’re going to get PH drift :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

it kind of looks like you have a ‘Eb and Flow’ setup going…you need to circulate the water more often to keep a good oxygen level in the buckets…or add air stones in each bucket…

1 Like