PH chems to adjust ph. Home-Brew Organics

First grow here. GSC-Auto.
We have well water with a RO water sftener so I decided to use bottled spring water for watering. The PH is a tad high from 9 to 10. Reading some threads about PH, I see many people using pre-mixed chems to adjust ph… Whats wrong with (organic?) white vinager (acid) or baking soda (alkaline). It only took about 5ml into 500mls of water to get into my ph-zone. I even tasted the water, no trace of “salad dressing”, so-to-speak, lol.
Not looking for opinions, I would much rather prefer facts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used vinegar and baking soda some with my first grow even though I had pH up and down on hand. Guess I was being cheap because of how much it cost to get started. Ended up with wild fluctuations in pH in the coco. At one point the medium was at 7.5 pH despite the solution going in being at 5.8-6.

This time I’ve only used pH down by GH. The coco has stayed almost exactly at 6.0. I’m using Jack’s 321 instead of GH trio now so that may have something to do with it as well. But I’ll never use anything other than pH up and down.

1 Like

Well first off baking soda is classified as an inorganic compound. but since I only ever have to pH down my water I use lemon juice since it’s already in my house it’s not even an extra expense… 2 ml and I’m good to go right around 6.3 every time

2 Likes

Doc, Thanks for the clarification, :+1:

1 Like

I’m lucky! I begin with 6.7 ph water add my nutes and molasses it’s 6.1 or 6.0 so in it goes.
:call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Molasses?

2 Likes

When I need to adjust a small pinch of citric acid will bring it down.

2 Likes

@Hoggwild yes I feed in with at least an eighth to a quarter teaspoon of unsulphured molasses per gallon every time I water, feed or flush through flower stage. Molasses provides large amounts of beneficial nutrients and minerals the micro-organisms in your soul feed on. :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

pH down - vinegar or citric acid
pH up - limestone (I use Down to Earth OMRI Organic Solution Grade Calcium 96)
Why not baking soda? Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, has salt

2 Likes

Liquid silica will raise ph

1 Like

You can use baking soda and vinegar to fix ur ph i used to do it when i was doing organic dry amendments

1 Like

I have always used citric acid for down. A little less than 1/4 tsp is what I use.

I use 1 tablespoon every other watering! Molasses is a good source of food for your microbes in the soil. Just a suggestion if you watch YouTube you should really check out mrgrowit@youtube he has a garden talk podcast and it is the most helpful information I personally have found anywhere on the web. I think his podcast is garden talk with Mr grow it it’s on YouTube as well.very informative!!!

1 Like