PH changed after sitting for a week?

I PHed 3 gallons of tap water to 6.5 ahead of time for watering. I watered for the first time 6 days ago and shortly after they drooped some and got a light green coloration. Today they were ready for water again and to be sure i tested my already PHed water. Sure enough, it was 7.0. Does it changed over time? Im hoping that is what caused the discoloration because thats an easy fix. When i watered tonight i phed every 4oz i gave them separately.

3 Likes

Yes usually it does jump up a point or so per day for a certain amt as the plant eats the food and all makes a difference. If u use tap water and it don’t set to dechlorinate for a bit then as it dechloronates and uses nutes it jumps pH. Always check pH before use and usually I wouldn’t use it after more than 24 to 46 hrs of setting

3 Likes

@Mark0427 thats good to know, thank you. I though I was doing good getting ahead of the game but really I wasn’t. I had no idea it fluctuated after being adjusted and sitting. I hope this was my issue and they are happy now that its correct.

2 Likes

I’m sure if u havnt been making sure pH is correct before waters that is one of the issues for sure. Yes right now I’d only mix a gallon at a time and use it for that day I mixed and next morning if needed otherwise try and figure out mixing half gallons up til u use more at a time.

CO2 dissolves in sitting water and converts into carbonic acid, which is why pH drifts in water that has been sitting.

7 Likes

@MidwestGuy @Mark0427 my girls seemed to have gotten worse overnight after watering. The leaves are curled and getting worse with discoloring. Any advice you may have from past experiences with this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Just wonder, are you getting water on the leaves? That will cause a lense effect and cause discoloration and leaf burn. Don’t know, but maybe too much water could be the prob. From the looks, I would be putting them in their big pots. But I really don’t see a big issue as of now.

2 Likes

@TEGRITY no im very careful not to get any on the leaves. Im watering just enough to get a few drips of runoff. I plan on transplanting this coming week after they soak up the water i just gave them.

At this point in the grow, if you think you’re seeing a nute deficiency, it’s actually due to overwatering. You don’t need to saturate to runoff at this stage. Just a few mL, like a shot glass or two of water, as needed (determined by feeling the weight of the cup).

1 Like

The newer growth don’t appear to be twisting at all so may just be the older leaves twisting from past issue or over watering. I’d def let the solo cup totally Dr to and feel super light airy like. U’ll know as the whole cup will feel like a dry rag vs a wet rag if u use ro water to water it id see about adding calmag to the water calmag won’t hurt but will def keep the yellowish away.

I pre-saturate my cup so it’s moist, but not wet when I drop the sprout in and I dome until the second set of true leaves starts to emerge. It’s generally 4 or 5 days before I even think about giving any water.
I am different than most in that the last two starts I did just soak the cup completely by gently pouring from a measuring cup along the edge of the cup, Eventually a “gulp” or two will wash across the entire surface of the cup and soak in. I do clear inside red and have bottle caps so the clear is slightly elevated and can drain freely. Then I check it out in another 4 or 5 days.
These were all started doing that and continue to get that treatment till they go to the 1g bags and are just more plants at that point.

They also get Jacks and 'crobes straight out of the gate with Mykos mixed in the medium.
I just take whatever I mixed for the larger plants and dilute it by half with rain water, check the Ph, and let it rip. Pre-treated with Jacks and 'crobes too.
Trick is to NOT overthink it! Watch the plant and respond accordingly. And just know baby plants are like baby humans. They do some crazy, unexplainable stuff from time to time!

BTW - 2 separate sets of 3 seedlings started about 2 weeks apart.

1 Like

@Tylersays I started mine very similar to your methods. 24 hours in distilled water, then into prewatered solo cup using Fox Farms Happy Frog which ive been told will carry the plant through the first 4 weeks or so with no other nutes being necessary to add. Once they sprouted it was 6 days before I watered them after their cups were good and dry. I also domed mine but I took them off on day 4.

1 Like

Yeah - in FF soil you just need to Ph the water atm. It’ll be a while before they lack for anything.
I’ve been running the veg tent a little higher on humidity this round too. That’s a big help too, I think.

3 Likes

My rh is staying right around 70. Its like a cloud when you open the tent lol. Heres a pic from a few min ago

1 Like

Looks like they are enjoying life!

I mix my water up in a 5 gal Gott orange barrel, lmao. Use a blue RV filter on a tap outside and fill the container. Mix my cal-mag, silicate and molasses up and ph to use. I use Bloom City dry ferts in the pot. This grow is just over 3 weeks so they have been getting a pint of water every other day. Today I went a head and gave them each a quart. Always check the ph of the batch before I water. The silicate additive can make the ph go up and the other stuff can make it go down. So check and adjust as I use the batch.

2 Likes

Yah ive had my water bubbling away getting it ready to use a few eays later and the ph had changed but mine went up to 6.8 from 6.4 u will have to ph ur water again

1 Like

@Khaos850 yeah ur pH will jump if u leave it for a few days. I used to pH my water ahead of time but realized it was a waste of time and pH up/down cuz everytime I went to use it, the pH was different. I let it sit out for 24 hours cuz I use tap water, let the chlorine evaporate and I let it sit til I’m going to feed or water, then I pH it. Same with nutes, I used to mix mine up a day or two ahead of time, I don’t do this anymore. I wait right up until I’m gonna feed her, then I mix up the nutes and pH it

1 Like