PH after flushing

I’m running coco/perlite and just did a flush between feeds as recommended by my nutrient schedule. To do this I ran the plant in the shower using as close to room temp water as I could manage out of the shower head for about 10 minutes until the TDS of the run off was pretty close to my tap water (100TDS). PH was 6.8. I then gave a 2L feed with nutes at the recommended 5.5PH for this week (using Cyco platinum series). This week is recommended to be reduced from the usual 6PH as it incorporates Grow XL. Run off measured was 6.4 and TDS 350.

Now I realise I should have PH’d the last gallon or two worth of flushing to ensure the root zone PH would be where I needed but I didn’t. After a few hours, I wasn’t happy with the 6.4PH so fed another 2L of nutes at 5.5 which brought the runoff down to 6.3. I still wasn’t happy with this so collected about 1L of run off, PH’d it to 4.5 and fed it back in bringing my runoff down to 6.1. I did not take anymore TDS readings after first feed.

Question is, should I leave it as is until next feed (takes 2-3 days for coco to dry out fully) or flush again now and get correct PH?

Using 3gal fabric pot
Plant is Amnesia Haze Auto, 28 days from sprout. First pistols just popped up today.

I run coco and I prefer a little swing in ph. Helps plant absorb different nutrients it needs better

2 Likes

I have adopted this as well. My plants seem to really dig it. I can see the nice green in them that I’ve been struggling to accomplish for a while.

2 Likes

The swing the others mentioned is usually fine, but I also don’t know that bringing down from pretty high to kinda high is the answer either.

2 Likes

My PH was pretty consistent around 6 before as recommended by my nutrient schedule.
As it’s asking for 5.5 this week, should I flush again or leave it until next feed?

1 Like

If the plants look fine I would wait.

1 Like

New growth is droopy today. Rest of plant is ok. I’m thinking the roots might be slightly drowning after the flush has compressed the coco.
Do you think I should leave it and hope it dries or water with a hydrogen peroxide solution? The coco I’m using seems to retain water a lot so I’m concerned it won’t dry out before root rot occurs. I’m thinking either leave it today and if it gets worse tomorrow morning, water with H202 solution, or maybe get a head start on it today with the H202 solution.
Thoughts?

1 Like

Me personally I would let it dry out. Did lights just come on @Smokin_Duck? If so it may take a few for them to perk back up.

I have a question. If your concerned about it being too wet. Why give it more water? Granted your adding peroxide but it’s still alot of water

2 Likes

Was probably about half hour after lights came on yeah. Few hours later looked better. I’m going to leave for now and see how it goes.

I know what you’re saying about the more water part. Did some reading and a few sources said to treat with H202 at first sign of overwatering to give oxygen through the water instead of relying on air pockets in the medium.

Just let her dry out. Roots shouldnt rot overnight

2 Likes

I love my size 3 perlite!!!

Just sayn…

Been about 24 hours since watering and no dramatic change to plant so hopefully it’s all good.

I use about 60-70% perlite in my medium to aid in drainage. I’m using expanded coco from a brick so I think I’ll swap to coco from a bag next time.

1 Like

That brick coco contains a lot of salt. Did you happen to rinse it well?

Yeah I gave it a really good flushing. Once when first expanding, then again few days before planting.

2 Likes