Ph adjustment - Lactic Acid ok?

Checking my source water, Ph hovers around 7 to 7.5 which I understand is a bit on the alkaline side for cannabis plants.

I have food grade lactic acid I use for brewing and can easily add small amounts to adjust the ph down to around 6.2. Question: Is 88% food grade lactic acid ok to bring the ph down for cannabis? I looked up Hydroponics Ph down and it is phosphoric acid which is also used in brewing although I haven’t used it.

Just wanted to make sure lactic acid is ok to use, and I’ll use my Ph meter to make sure the adjustment is within range

I honestly don’t know. A question I can’t answer, but i’m sure someone will know.

1 Like

I did a quick Google search. There’s nothing specific about cannabis, but people do use it for plants.

2 Likes

I think it should be ok then.

1 Like

Something like a 1:5000 dilution rate was shown to be most effective at growing mustard greens. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT!

2 Likes

That’s a very tiny amount.

1 Like

Lactic Acid also has microbes. Kinda like yogurt.

2 Likes

Does that mean that when smoked it will balance the bacteria in my gut??? :rofl:

5 Likes

Well, that can only be a good thing.

2 Likes

80a906a5508a368e2ccce11a926297a7

7 Likes

Yeah, the dilution rate will be a drop at a time in a gallon of water. I use 5mL lactic in 8G of water to adjust the Ph from 7 down to 5.30. So I’ll add a drop at a time in 1 G water and see how much it takes to get me in range. Wont be much for sure.

LOL @blackthumbbetty…does Activia actually mean “Activate”?

2 Likes

If you want a giggle, you should go watch that whole snl sketch. Absolutely hilarious. I laughed so hard, I almost pooped my pants watching it.

4 Likes

Sorry. Didn’t mean to goof on your post.

2 Likes

Love it @Familyman!! I frequent another forum on beer brewing, and some of those folks get all uptight if the topic is steered off course slightly by the most modest sense of humor. The folks on ILGM are sincere but fun loving in a “Family” sort of way. You didn’t goof, you just made everyone smile!

4 Likes

Lol must be homebrewtalkdotcom they way uptight lol.

1 Like

So you’re ok with the “pooped my pants” talk?

You’ll fit right in, here!

4 Likes

You must have read my mind…right you are, that’s the one! VERY uptight. In contrast, ILGM is very easy going BUT informative at the same time. @raustin was talking about Nuns who owned her apartment complex and placed air fresheners outside her front door…LOL. But at the same time with levity, she is teaching me tons preparing to do an indoor grow. Who says we cant have fun while learning?? Very cool forum.

4 Likes

Hahah yeah I quit going on to that forum for that reason. I still get on to look for recipes and the giveaways but don’t talk anymore.

I used to be a paying member there for several years

2 Likes

I’ve never had any need to go to any other forum.

3 Likes

Did you see where Ss Brewtech just gave away a stainless steel fermenter on HBT? I was hoping I’d win that one. But yeah, some of those folks are real hard butts. For sure the recipes are decent, so I just look around and don’t say too much anymore.

1 Like