Pests on seedlings, holes, yellowing (outdoor grow bags in missouri, 1st grow)

Hey all, my first grow, first post, and I’m learning as I go. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are some pics from Day 8-9 since first true leaves of these autoflowers. I am trying to go as organic and natural as possible. When I started seeing leaf damage on seedlings (day 5), I tried to use some diatomaceous earth, but its been so humid and wet in missouri, I’m not sure its stayed dry enough to be effective. I did a neem oil spray on Day 6, as I saw the damage worsen overnight.

My friend tells me neem oil is ok for first 3 weeks, but after that avoid. I plan to reapply next week some time.

Let me know what you all think could be causing this damage, and if I’m following the right protocol. Happy to provide any other details if its helpful, just let me know.

Thanks!

Experienced community members and expert staff will be better informed and more capable of providing a more informed answer.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Please let me know if I can elaborate more…

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: provided by a friend that breeds, don’t know the specifics
  • Method: Black Gold OMRI, Natures Living Soil (Super Soil Method).
  • Vessels: 7 gallon cloth pots, clay pebbles on top for moisture retention
  • PH of Water: 5.8-6.2 water (filtered water brought down to PH with apple cider vinegar)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor: Outdoor
  • Light system: None
  • Temps; Day: 80-low 90s, Night: 60s
  • Humidity: Day, Night – avg probably 70%
  • Ventilation system: N/A
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: N/A
  • Co2: N/A

Was it possible the leaves got wet? Usually when the leaves come into contact from underneath to the growing medium, they instantly start to die off. The top newer growth looks good though. Willing to bet she’ll start to take off in a week, as she was establishing roots. Hope this helps.

Awesome thanks for your input.

Yes, very possible the leaves got wet. The first 5-6 days after it popped up were incredibly wet, rainy, and humid. So the leaves were actually wet quite a lot

1 Like

Quick followup…

I’m actually out of town and my mom is watering the plants for me. She sent me a few pictures, and I saw this little bugger on one of the plants.

If you zoom in, you can see on the second leaf from the left a bluish caterpillar.

Could this be causing the damage?

I asked her to dust the leaves with diatomaceous earth and around the base.

Thanks!

Caterpillars definitely can cause damage that looks like.

Thanks. Diatomaceous earth applied, and we’ll see what happens next. Appreciate all the insights

1 Like