Pest identification help needed

Sorry just saw notification. I believe I sprayed every 3rd day. I let off when I thought they were gone. Ya no bueno. Keep hitting them with it. I swear they got stronger. I had to double the dose to get rid of them for good after that. In end did its job and was super pleased. I had a bad bad case also. My girl was watching them for a month while I was gone. Never said anything. And yet wiped them all out.

2 Likes

Thank you. I dosed em hard yesterday and won’t be back in town til Monday but I’ll hit em again hard when I get back and keep after it

Think the Ant hill is an issue?

1 Like

Ants and Aphids go hand in hand.

Google: ants and aphids symbiotic relationship

3 Likes

I must have jinxed myself as I now have tiny bugs crawling in my soil. They don’t seem to be on the plant itself or be able to fly. They’re too small for photo but you can see on video when they move around. Any idea of what it is or how to upload a video?

1 Like

Are they fungus gnats? Fungus gnats are very common with soil grows

You can’t upload a video directly to the forum. I believe you would have to upload to YouTube first and then link it

Not sure if their fungus gnats @AfgVet. They’re super small.

Hopefully this video works.

Video wouldn’t work for me. I’ll bet they are fungus gnats. Get some yellow sticky sheets for insects and let you soil dry out between watering.

There are other products out there like Mosquito Bites or bits and such

3 Likes

they don’t look like fungus gnats to me but we need to get in closer. they’re moving really quickly and the video is short but they almost look like spiders for a second. see if you can shoot through your loupe or something.

2 Likes

Try and touch one, if it hops like a flea, you got springtails. I just had to deal with an invasion in my room . Thankfully I was between grows and took care of them

1 Like

Not spring tails , aphids? Root, are they in the leaves or only on the soil ?

1 Like

legs look too long for springtails but the good thing about them is they wont hurt your plants. we really need better pics.

2 Likes

They’re soil mites. Completely harmless to plants. The only feed on decaying organic matter.

3 Likes

OP states they don’t fly, ruling out fungus gnats, and they’re moving to quickly to be aphids.

2 Likes

Thanks for the assist. Sorry to say you’re the one I know who has felt with bugs the most.

2 Likes

I was going on the thought that he’s not seeing them fly, and just in the soil but the video wouldn’t work for me.

Thanks for the help you are all providing here

4 Likes

@AfgVet Yeah, the video was a little difficult to see.
I only say this from at least a little personal experience lol I got a bag of organic soil a while back that was loaded with them and from what I observed and read about them, they never caused any problems. Just one link in the chain of decomposition!

2 Likes

Knock on wood I haven’t had much for bug issues, just some gnats so I appreciate you all jumping in with your creepy crawly experience!!!

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions @Randy_Marsh @Growyourown @AfgVet @Agrestic @Watt-Sun. I tried watering with mosquito bits right after I saw them and put a few sticky pads. Not catching much over night. I’m thinking soil mites could be the right diagnosis. They don’t fly, are small and faster than aphids and stay in the soil. Plant is healthy and doesn’t seem to have any issues. Growing in coast of Maine stonington organic soil on my patio.

I’m struggling with aphids on my veggies and some flowers. I moved this one away from my other plants in hopes that it will also attract the aphids away.

2 Likes

There is alil bit of everything in there but like advised plants look good , I would do some pest control from trifecta and some diatomaceous earth , just to ensure that no unwanted insect go over board , if you grown outside its recomendable to get some ladybugs :lady_beetle:

4 Likes

Just wanted to post back and say thanks again for the help to everyone. Things are growing well after just one application last week but gonna keep after it anyway.

2 Likes