Pest identification help needed

I’m pretty sure this is a pest of some kind. Correct me if I’m wrong. Is this something I can treat with deadbug spray?

New growth starts out looking fine but quickly gets uglified. Interestingly the larger fan leaves that are existing are not affected. It seems to be the newer growth that’s most affected.

This plant is also next to a very active large ant colony. I’ve never known ants to go after living plant material in this manner though. I’m kind of thinking it’s some kind of leaf borer or flea beetle.

Short version of the trouble ticket:
ILGM Gold Leaf
Outdoors for 3 weeks
Coast of Maine Stonington blend (organic super soil) no additional amendments
Been fed with Roots Organic Trinity (kelp & molasses) once about 6 days ago. Watered in and foliar sprayed. I noticed the issue not long after that.
I water with raw untreated well water that is super hard like practically off the charts so I don’t add cal/mag. In the 3 crops I’ve grown at this spot with this water I haven’t had a cal/mag issue yet so I really hesitate to think it’s that.

1 Like

Looks like it could be bug damage. Have you looked under the leaves with a loop to identify any insects?

Under, yes. With a loupe, no. I have seen a few ants on it.

1 Like

Do you have a loud or even a magnifying glass to try and identify what they are? Possible get a pic?

@Agrestic @kaptain3d i know you guys have felt with bugs. Recognize this damage?

1 Like

Just noticed this guy in the yellow circle. Somehow didn’t see him and he wasn’t bothered by me shaking the branches and taking pics.

4 Likes

I have a 60x magnifier I use to check trichomes.

1 Like

I tagged a couple of people who have felt with bugs. I haven’t had to deal with them. I’d say you need to spray with something like Capt Jacks Dead Bug. Tops and bottoms of leaves just before lights out

3 Likes

Hard to say , but that kinda looks like a katydid

A baby one? The ones we have are huge and green.

2 Likes

It kinda does. But is it eating my plant??

I’ve got capt jacks on hand for my veggies. I Just mixed up a batch yesterday night for my cabbages and broccoli, is that stuff still good after 24 hours or is it like Nimoy oil and I have to make a new batch?

@AfgVet Thanks for putting those tags on there. Appreciate the help

2 Likes

Aphids?

3 Likes

I would agree. Kind of look like aphids…

4 Likes

I use mine for a while after I make a batch.

1 Like

My guess is aphids.

2 Likes

Well I sprayed the hell out of it. We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks very much everybody for your help.

3 Likes

That guy is relax beyond his mind, it looks like withe flies

3 Likes

Looks a little big for an aphid, at least compared to the ones I have in my garden. They’ve been snacking on my zucchini, cucumber and tomato leaves but seem to leave my gorilla glue alone for the most part. Occasionally I find one and they seem like it near the flowers. I’ve been using a mix of water and dish soap on my veggie plants to get rid of them. Just been picking them off by hand when I see them on my cannabis.

2 Likes

my first thought is also aphids. flip the leaves over too and look. ants will farm aphids so you should try and take care of them as well. see if you can get a better photo.

2 Likes

Looks like a thrip to me from seeinv @Joshmcginnis28 crop he had with them. Capt jacks dead bug and dont give up even if it lools gone lol do a spray or 2 after u think they r gone to make sure to rid of them. U dont wanna smoke bugs it will leave a god awful taste when the bug burns lol.

3 Likes