Pest eating my buds

Ok ive all ready had two plants flower and thay were awesome!!but my other two had some problems with these two but ive got that sorted!!now thay are fatting up nice but im get snails :snail: and caterpillars :bug: on my buds having good old time any help in getting rid of these guys be much appreciated

Sorry buddy can’t help there never had either, just mites and aphids, but @Niala had a great post about them @Caosred

I remembered watching this video on youtube. it looks like a easy set up for out side growers

Out of likes. This is so cool @Not2SureYet

Happy Birthday @AmnesiaHaze . :smile: yeah, I remembered watching it a while ago. I told my neighbor about it since he has an out door garden. I thought it was cool since it didn’t kill the snails. just let them know they were not welcome there.

Yeah I liked that big snail trying it a few times! Too good, it works and probably will save those plants from infestation

Very cool video, I need to try this. My garden is infested with slugs, I hate them! One good way to catch them is to put grapefruit halves that are cleaned out. They go right to them. Then just pick them up and throw them away.

Awesome video I agree @raustin, @AmnesiaHaze happy bday or anniversary. @Not2SureYet awesome video buddy. Thanks for the help.

Hey thanks @Mrcrabs !

That was wicked cheers definitely giving that ago

@Not2SureYet

I HOPE THIS HELPS

Home › Problems › Garden Pests › Insects

Organic Snail Control: How To Control Garden Snails
By: Heather Rhoades

Garden snails are kissing cousins to the nefarious slug that also terrorizes gardens.
The common garden snail will chew through the tender leaves of plants, which at best,
looks unsightly, and at worst, will kill the plant. If these little buggers have had
you asking yourself, “How to control garden snails?” then you are at the right place.
We will be looking at effective snail repellents and organic snail control.

What is the Common Garden Snail?

Chances are, if you have snails in your garden, it is the common garden snail,
also called the brown garden snail. The scientific name is Helix aspersa.
The common garden snail can be identified by its brown rounded shell and grey body.

How to Control Garden Snails

Here are the most common methods for getting rid of snails in the garden:

Introduce predators – One effective organic snail control is to introduce or
encourage predators. Make your garden friendly to small snakes, like the garter snake.
These snakes enjoy eating garden snails as well as other common garden pests.
You can also introduce decollate snails to your garden. Decollate snails will
not harm your plants but will eat the common garden snail.

Lay down grit – Many gritty substances make effective snail repellents.
Gritty substances will cut the body of the snail, which will lead to it being
injured. Crushed eggshells, sand or diatomaceous earth sprinkled around plants
that the garden snails seem to prefer will deter and eventually kill these pests.

Set out traps – A common snail trap is the beer pan. Simply fill a shallow pan
with beer and leave it out overnight. The snails will be attracted to the beer
and will drown in it. The beer will need to replaced every few days to remain effective.

Another trap is to find a flat object than can provide a dark, cool, moist location.
Snails love dark, cool, moist areas. You can use a board, a piece of carpet, or
thick cloth to create this environment. Water an area, then lay the object down
over the damp area. Return in a few days and pick up the object. You can harvest
and destroy the hiding snails.

Barriers – Among effective snail repellents is barriers. This organic snail control
means putting something in the path of the snails that they do not like. Copper wire,
Vaseline, even just mesh curved outwards will help repel garden snails from your plants.

Now that you know more about how to control garden snails in your garden with these
effective snail repellents and organic snail control, you can make sure that those
slimy little buggers never bother your plants again.

Posted By
Garrigan65

go the beer pan mate or even get a tinny cut the top off and bury it so top is flush with soil. easy as and you’ll be suprised how ur snails n slugs love beer liked us lol. ring of salt, it burns them like acid that works too!

Thanks heaps but it’s not so much the snails :snail:!!its the caterpillars :bug: getting on my buds and having a feast lil green ones

Oh ok than got just the thing for YA. Ill be right back. Got to help bonnie1 here and then ill be with ya…ok

@Caosred

Here ya go my friend…

Here is my homemade Insecticidal Soap Recipe
hope it helps. And please tag me I would like to follow your grow.

The simplest insecticidal soap is nothing more than a 2% soap solution. To make this at home, you will need:
•Sprayer: Any clean spray bottle or garden sprayer will work fine for spraying insecticidal soap. Make sure the sprayer or bottle hasn’t been used for herbicides.
•Pure Soap: Use a pure liquid soap, such as Castile, or all-natural soap. The active ingredient in insecticidal soap comes from the fatty acids in animal fat or vegetable oil, so it’s important to use the real thing. Don’t use detergents (which aren’t actually soaps), dish soaps, or any products with degreasers, skin moisturizers, or synthetic chemicals. Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap is usually pretty easy to find in stores, or check your local natural-foods store for other options.
•Pure Water: Tap water is fine for making insecticidal soap. If you have hard water, you may want to use bottled water to prevent soap scum from building up on your plants.

To make homemade 2% insecticidal soap, mix together:
•5 tablespoons soap to 1 gallon of water

OR
•1 heavy tablespoon soap to 1 quart of water

Containers of garlic, pepper, vinegar, and cooking oil
Other ingredients that can be added to homemade insecticidal soap

Homemade Insecticidal Soap Recipe Variations

Like any other home remedy, there are as many variations on this recipe as there are gardeners! You can also try:
•Diluted Solution: If the spray causes damage or burns your plant foliage, cut the amount of soap in half and try a 1% solution. This is the concentration usually found in commercial sprays. The lighter solution might be less effective but is gentler on plants.

•Cooking Oil: To help the solution stick a little longer, add two tablespoons of light cooking oil (such as corn, canola, olive, or safflower) per gallon of water to the mix.

•Vinegar: To make a spray that also targets powdery mildew, add a teaspoon of cider vinegar per gallon of water to the mix.

•Garlic or Pepper: To help repel chewing insects, add a teaspoon of ground red pepper and/or garlic per gallon of water to the mix.

•Bar Soap: For a less-exact recipe, drop a bar of pure soap (such as organic bar soap or Ivory) into a gallon of water and leave it overnight. Remove the bar and shake well before spraying.

There is something @Willd in ME and some Cali people and a few others used but I can’t remember what its called. @Rugar89 @FloridaSon @DaGoose

btk caterpillar killer?
dennis rader approved…

“Safer” insect spray. Works well.

Cheers appreciate it I’m in Australia and have never heard of that soap but I’ll definitely have a look for it!!and what spray that all over mywbuds??

Gday champ another fellow aussie here, I have recently had a similar issue with the catterpillars on an outdoor northern lights. I grow everything organically and therefore i am very hesitant to use any pesticides on my plants at all.I started noticing the odd leaf curled up an upon opening the leaf found the culprit, a small green caterpillar. I then inspected the whole plant and found several more.I picked them off by hand and killed them. Not long after some small sections of bud on some of the bigger colas started browning off an looking like the beginnings of bud rot. It wasnt until i looked closer with a magnifying glass that i noticed that the caterpillars were eating the leaves and then shitting in the buds. the crap was rotting in the buds and making them soft like bud rot. I clipped off the affected sections of bud and disposed of them.I built a hoophouse over the plant and the problem dissapeared virtually overnight. I am not sure if this is an option for you. I know there are products available that supposedly can be safely sprayed up until days before harvest but i choose not to use these products .I would be hesitant to spray anything on well developed buds. Sorry mate but the only thing i can offer is to pick off anything by hand that you can see an limit the damage at this late stage. Dr Bronners soap is available over here, have a look in the supermarket or ask a chemist.