Perennial weed? Out of the realm of possibility?

Hopefully I’m not asking a stupid question, but marijuana is a annual plant, but I wonder if there is a way to make it come back every year, maybe crossbreeding with another plant, that would be Awesome

2 Likes

It is known to exist in equatorial regions.

1 Like

Pretty interesting, just something I was thinking about, so I decided to ask, I have read about the possibility of them reseeding themselves in warm climates to the point they come back, who knows with all the strains we have now, just mabey there is a possibility, I appreciate you’re input

Don’t know how true it is but I have thought about the possibility of crossing it with hops, I believe its cannabis’ closest relative besides hemp.

2 Likes

cannabis is a strange plant because… some are photo and some are not. Photos can be kept in veg indefinitely autos cant. Photos can be revegged, autos not so much. Photos can be cloned, autos can also, with a catch… they are still gonna flower at the same time. Equatorial cannabis could potentially grow for a few years, however, rainy seasons or monsoons usually put an end to that idea.
Interestingly, the tomato plant is similar in many ways. It grows very similarly, can easily be cloned and can live for many years. There is one difference, the tomato plant can continuously produce fruit. From the time an indeterminate tomato reaches maturity it can make tomatoes non stop for years. Like cannabis the tomato plant has the ( determinate ) variety that only makes a certain amount of buds and then its done for good.

2 Likes

Hops is the earliest known genetic relative. They come from the same genitic family.

1 Like

Cannabis in nature sheds it’s buds and begins revegetation after winter you just don’t kill the plant when you harvest I just had a post about this a few days ago you can reveg it I’m using ripe bud method when harvesting personally and enrich it’s soil with nitrogen and put it back on 18hrs or light just leave a few leafs and all you need is just a few bare shirt twigs coming up and of course the roots.

1 Like

That’s very interesting, sounds like you’re on to something, I have been told and seen for myself planting a strain for seeds I gathered from the same plant year after year, the pot seems to have more THC and gets better every Generation

Maybe that’s explains why I enjoy a Cold Beer after smoking weed, that is very interesting I had no idea they were related

2 Likes

That’s interesting, so it needs to be dormant with temperatures above freezing and she will come back and produce Buds again?

2 Likes

It doesn’t need to be dormant, nor does it need to be freezing or cold.

This plant was first harvested on 4/20 of this year. After harvest, I dumped a bunch of nutes and water and put it back on 18/6 and I’ll be harvesting again in a few months.

That thread does a somewhat decent job of explaining the re-veggitation process. It’s not difficult! Try it!

1 Like

That’s Amazing, I appreciate you sharing this, she’s going for a second round

1 Like

Of course I’m going to try it, I was sitting in my chair wondering about that last night, that’s Awesome I thought once she budded out that was it unless you had some seeds

1 Like

Yes bro I’ve messed around with bonsai cannabis to not for bud but fun project also refines your training techniques. I currently have what’s classified as an endangered strain (orange cookies oj kush*gsc) no longer exists in seeds or for sale anywhere worldwide if you want to grow it you have to get a cutting from a pre-existing plant

2 Likes

I agree with others in that if you’re looking to reveg a plant, it’s not difficult to do. For most the amount of time it takes to reveg and get growing again doesn’t make a lot of sense. The cost of seed is usually less than amount of power used and wear and tear on equipment. Also worth noting that a lot of growers want a variety over harvesting the same plant over and over. It can be fun little project though.

2 Likes

I’m curious to know if the quality goes up or down the second round, I myself have collected seeds from strains back when seed banks didn’t exist, you’re bags had seeds, seemed to me every generation seemed to get a little more potent each year as I collected seeds

1 Like

One of 2 of my best friends, who’s Mom was from the big island in Hawaii (Hilo I believe) had a brother who grew massive multi season/year plants. I never met him or saw his plants but the family legend was that he had plants that were 10 years old and wren he chopped one he made a cane from it.

I was told all outdoor, natural light cycles. Just a lot of pruning and caring for.

2 Likes

I would imagine living in Hawaii, warm tropical climate, you can grow from a good root system year after year. I used to collect seeds from my bags of weed, I would grow them year after year, seems to me every year it got better! I would imagine that Hawaiian weed would Stone the Wiz outta you :nerd_face: