Pctng of thc claims

Hello one and all — Illinois just legalized recreational weed… But tax on product is determined on thc percentage in product purchased (what a rip off ).

I am sure this question has popped into our heads before – how can the buyer be assured that the % displayed is the % contained in the product…? This is not a government regulated industry so standards such as %'s cannot be verified nor enforced…

Also % isn’t something that is like weight - a unit of measurement the commoner CAN verify with a simple scale…

For the gizmo guru’s here - is there a device out there that WE (commoners) would have access to for a relative comparable cost?

Thanks in advance

MotaMan

3 Likes

Long story short yes there is a hand held device that will test flower, and no it’s not affordable. Not even close.
Maybe @dbrn32 can offer some insight.

3 Likes

It should be standard equipment in all dispensaries if they are taxing on %.

2 Likes

Best device you have is your phone or computer. It might take a bit, but the dispensaries with good product quality/pricing will rise to the top pretty quickly. Check reddit or something like that and you’ll likely find a local community of others reviewing each cultivator and dispensary, and it’ll be obvious who’s got what. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that unless you grew it, you really don’t know what you’re getting. Also, I try not to look solely at percentages of THC, but the whole picture, with the terpene profile and everything. I’ve had indicas close to only 15% THC or so that smoked more potent than ones that claimed 25-30%, just because of the high Linalool or Myrcene.

Shop around and find where you’re comfortable, and shop with your nose as much as your eyes and the numbers. Look at harvest dates if they advertise those on the packaging there, too. If they have a great deal on something that all the numbers look great, but you look and it was harvested this month, it may be a little ‘green’ and lacking cure time. Or, if it’s (unlikely, there, yet) several months old, you might be getting dried up trash.

I’ve seen a few kits advertised. @Haildamaged has his tested, he may have more.

7 Likes

Imo you are reading too far into it. Its designed to be a 10% tax on flower and cbd heavy products. Then tax extracts and edibles higher.

Should there be flower over 35% thc, then you’ll have to pay extra to try it. But testing yourself is a waste of time. The product is batch tested and labeled from packaging facility. It’s not like you will get your money back from dispensary if you test 1% lower. Anyone who is that concerned probably should just not buy it. But it’s not like the neighborhood dealers can give you chemical analysis on their stuff, so I’m not really sure what the problem is.

8 Likes

Actually, legal weed is government regulated. I mean, testing is required. Those testing facilities are required to be on the up-and-up. Pretty sure things are enforced…unless you’re in California. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::grinning:

You might want to just grow your own and cut-out the worry. :grinning:

7 Likes

There is no lab testing in az , even tho it’s all medical still…
As long as they pay there taxes and what not , they can sell you whatever they want…
I’ve seen it with my own eyes , helping setting up servalance cameras in a couple of our big government facilities…
Straight up poison…
Everything growing in ca is regulated like crazy , unless it’s from the black market…
@blackthumbbetty
Regulations and testing in ca will soon be shutting down all the mom and pop growers…
Only big money will survive…
Or black market…
:v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

AZ doesn’t require lab testing?! That’s egregious! I guess great for business, bad for consumers.

I know up here, they shut people down in a heartbeat.

Grow your own, right? :grinning:I’m not out to support mom/pop or big business; they’re all just out to make money. I just want to get high and not go to jail for it.

11 Likes

There’s lab testing here, but the methods aren’t regulated strictly enough, so there are variations, depending on which lab tested it and how. So some shadier growers will go lab shopping, then advertise the best of the results. I think they’re trying to find ways to make it more strict.

4 Likes

The only way it could get any worse in AZ is if they started sprinkling powderd glass on the buds to make it look more sparkly…
Its extremely sad…
I will not buy anything from any AZ dispensaries , nor will I let anyone that I know…
Nevada is stupid expensive , so I never go there , but at least they are testing for pesticides and stuff…
Ca is flooded with so much bud at the moment that its super cheap in my neck of the woods and they make them test for everything , pesticides , salmonella and just about anything else you can think of , that’s why so many ca growers are going to start going out of business…
They will be regulated and taxed out of existence…
I only hold a az med card so that I can grow legally , but it still costs me and my wife about $700 a year to be card holder’s…
@blackthumbbetty

4 Likes

That’s just wrong of people to do to any product, but especially one people use as medicine! Good on you for looking out for others.

Yep, store bought weed sells for about the same as street prices, here. I only go shopping if I’m in the city and run out of smoke for the ride home.

Regulation is good, if it’s done prudently and fair. We all know people are out to make money & they will do shady things to our weed to get the most profit. I am very happy with regulations that make sense and are holistic.

The tax scheme many states are trying to run is just greedy af. Especially that “taxed according to potency” bs! Up here, the growers pay taxes on everything they sell, and that’s it for taxes, so consumers aren’t complaining. However, commerical growers also have expensive licensing, inspections, testing, etc. Needless to say our market isn’t being flooded like other legal states; prices have only come down maybe 5-10% since recreational legalization.

3 Likes

That was happening up here. We only have a few labs. Word got out via inspections that these labs all gave incredibly varied results for the same samples. Last I had heard, the state’s working on getting labs on the same page with technologies and techniques.

3 Likes

The really sad part in my neck of the woods , is that the guy who owns and operates 3 of the big facilities , don’t smoke weed and never has and has only eaten part of a edible one time and went to the er because he thought he was going to die…
It’s just a money thing for him…
He has zero experience in this field, he just had the money to get it all started when we voted in medical…
But he has no clue what hes doing…
Neither do the people that are working for him…
I’ve been in all 3 facilities and its head to toe fungus and mildew and bugs , bugs , bugs…
No clue what they are doing…
I have seen his guy’s spray every day for the last week up to harvest with some seriously toxic chemicals and even on the day of chop spray and then take outside and spray with a water hose and then up to hang…
I would never work for such a pos , I only helped a friend that got the job of installing the servalance because (he) needed my help …
But honestly , the guy that owns the facilities should be in jail…
I’m sure that it’s only a matter of time before he kills someone , if he already hasn’t…
And he will be shut down…
Sad part is that somebody just as money hungry as him will more than likely take his place…
Very sad…
What you have to understand is that alot of our own local government officials and police officers are invested , so it’s hard to say for how long they will allow him to keep doing what he’s doing…
They are all making money and I’m sure that they will let it go on as long as they can until something bad happens and then they will just play stupid and say that they never knew , even tho they have all been in these facilities just like me…
You would have to be stevie wonder to not see what’s going on…
Very sad…
Dosen’t give me alot of hope for humanity…

4 Likes

1400 is what i saw for a hand held that did 1 to 2 % plus or minus i do have to test for compliance 300 a batch and 50 for potency only …as i am retired and no retirement , i need to sell some and its the funnest most rewarding job i have had i love hard work and this time it is paying and yup people are hung up on THC % but also Names WTF i go on smell looks feel and taste

100% corect imo @elheffe702

i had a OG KUSH test 11 % THCa and 7.8 % CBDa funny thing it smoked like heaven and felt like a sativa so go figure if you try it and like it does % mean anything ?
here is the 2 you speak of Linalool 1272 β-Myrcene 3354 and α-Pinene 5674 from OG Kush total

chart for OGK TOTAL CANNABINOIDS IS IMPORTANT ! i hav 30 clones of this OGK nuff said
Cannabinoid
TOTAL 21
TOTAL THC 11
TOTAL CBD 6.69

i have a test report on Purple Haze 18.7 % i think was this β-Ocimene 3058 Terpinolene 2426 and this β-Caryophyllene 2546 were high PH is top 5 or so of my favs

8 Likes

None of this is even important! Many people herebin Canada dont like the government dispensaries for numerous reasons, not the least of which is dry crumbly harsh weed! Sure it may have 22 percent thc, but it tastes like shit pot and is harsh and raspy! The dispensaries may get hash plant from one place this month and another next month and there is very little consistency! The price is pretty expensive for shit pot! Plus they video and photograph everyone that walks through the door. You may not think that a big deal but to some people it is!

4 Likes

For me the numbers are kinda cool but largely unimportant. Ive bought weed at legal dispensaries with numbers that suggested good pot, but thebsmoke report would prove otherwise. When I grow my own stone I dont test my weed, I smoke my weed. If it tastes like shit pot or gives me a headache, or has no effect, it quickly becomes compost. Ive grown some dope so strong I cant even smoke it, in such cases I gift it to friends for birthdays or Xmas. When I was a teenager in the 70s there was no testing, the proof was in the twist up. If it was good it cost more, if it was shit pot it was hard to get rid of or was super cheap. Now that being said, I moved to Vancouver Island and in the 80s Lesquiti Island had its own strain of outdoor, the pot tasted like hay but was equally as good as mexican red hair, just not as nice smelling or tasting. Ultimately, the real test is in the twist up.

6 Likes

I look at the numbers to see if it’s good medicine. Without terpene profiles, it’s very difficult to find the right meds for me. No point in buying an ounce of medicine that won’t work for me, regardless how “good” it is.

7 Likes

It’s a funny thing, an outfit like this is allowed to continue yet the little guy gets hammered.

Nailed it, they’re making money and lots of it so it’s not in their interest to close anything down unless it becomes an issue. I’ve often wondered what goes on behind closed doors at some of these meetings when the go ahead is given to set up a facility like this and equally when it comes to shutting down their golden goose, how bad does it actually have to get. Let’s face it, the cash has started to flow and will be relied upon to finance projects within the local government. That cash will be missed when the operation gets shut down

1 Like

Well thanks one and all – but one correction – pot is not government regulated – not FDA. The federal government still has not removed pot from being listed as a schedule 1 narcotic.

So my question was answered - devices are available for thc % measurement but cost prohibitive for us growers and dispensary buyers…

Thanks again one and all - I am glad I started this great discussion.,

MotaMan

6 Likes

In this case, I’m pretty sure cultivation licenses prohibit export from the state, and I’m 100% sure that dispensaries aren’t to currently allowed to import from other states. So, with the limited amount of cultivation licenses signed and the label stating origin, we know where our weed comes from. It’s not too bad either. Sounds like it’s better than what you’re getting.

You bring up a good point, in what we could expect from going federally legal. Imo we should be careful what we ask for.

Same here. Handful of companies own majority of licenses anyway. They’re all grandfathered into 200,000 ft. canopy and new licenses issued will be considered “craft cultivation” limited to 5,000 ft² canopy.

3 Likes