Paranoid! looking for advice on first new grow

What is the strain? Stone Mason, northern lights, pineapple lights, love triangle, deep alchemy 5 and 6.
Indoor or Outdoor? indoor
Size of space? 5x5x8
Soil or Hydro? Medium used? Hydro upwelling bubble bucket setup, hydro crunch.
6.5 gallon pots, 35 gallon res.
PH? 6.8
Type of nutrients used? Lotus grow, calmag. PPM level 290
Temperature? 83 deg F ; reservoir 77 deg F
Humidity 65%
Light system/watts? LED kind 5k 1000w starting at 40,60,60 at 4 feet to acclimate.
Vegetative Growth season or Bloom/Flower season? Clones, 2 weeks 2 days.
Fairly new at growing with proper equipment. Just happen to be super paranoid, so I dont want to kill my clones on the first run. Lol. These clones seemed early to me, and I had the system running and set for bigger ones I think. So I started super light on the nutes. I am worried about the new growth being yellow. Any idea, does all this seem right. This is my first post, although i have been reading for months. Soooooo happy to have all your ideas and knowledge. Thank you all for your help, future and past. :pig2::+1::pig2:!
The issue seems to be resolving, but only have a couple of days in so far.
20190728_075657|375x500

20190726_161148 20190726_161139

2 Likes

First welcome to the community it’s normal for the new growth to be just a little lighter in color. Good luck

3 Likes

Thank you! So happy to be able to post and participate. I have been looming in the shadows for a while, so glad to be able engage all you fine growers and gain some knowledge. Only have experience with bag seed and have fought problems every step as well as killing some plants on my past grows and cloning attempts. Prolly where my noid comes from today, lol.

1 Like

PH needs to be 5.5-6.1 and try to get res temps down. Have a1"-2" gap from water to netpot and let bubbles from airstones water. you can mist top till you see roots coming out the bottom of netpot
Good luck

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Warthog. [quote=“Warthog, post:1, topic:33577”]
PH? 6.8
[/quote]

In hydro you need your ph between 5.5-6.2 with 5.8 being the sweet spot. Your ph is TOO high, get it down.

You need to keep your reservoir below 70°f or you will run the risk of root rot. I run hydro. If you have any questions, feel free to tag me. If I don’t know the answer, I bet I know someone who does. Don’t panic my friend, YOU GOT THIS!!!

5 Likes

Thank You. I tried to get the ph down a few times before the clones came to me, I started with RO and added light nutes with ph down. I had it down to 5.8 steady for 48 hours when I started, but it rose after the first day. I have been trying to lower it slowly and steady by .1 at a time now the clones are in, but it just goes right back to 6.8 slowly. I read in another post that low nutes can cause problems with ph, but I am at a loss and am clueless on that. I will look into lowing that res temp as well.

Your nutrients, at a higher rate will lower ph. I don’t think it would hurt to bump your ppm up to around 400, but that’s in my case with my nutes. I don’t know about yours. What does your feeding chart say. In hydro, I pretty much check ppms and ph every day. If ph is trying to get out of range I adjust it. What kind of nutrients are you using, and how much. I love hydro

2 Likes

I am using lotus pro series at maybe less then 1/4 strength, Grow nute with a little cal/mag and then hydroguard. I went with a super low dose, so far these clones each have one root coming out of the rock wool, so I was scared to go too high.

1 Like

I am not familiar with that line, but you seem to have a feeding schedule. I NEVER go full strength. I start at 1/4 recommended dose. On my last crop, I never got any higher than 1/4 dose and harvested 3lbs 10oz off 2 plants. Fertilizer companies are in business for ONE thing, to sell fertilizers. Let your plants tell you what they need. Set your ppms and ph. When you go back to check and your water level has dropped, they will tell you. If your ppms have dropped, they want more nutes, if it has risen, you got too much. When everything is perfect, water level will go down, but ppms and ph will stay pretty much the same. At this point of the grow, ain’t much happening as they don’t eat or drink much, YET. Maintain ph daily at this point, bring your nutes up to 1/4 strength and you should be fine.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for all the help so far. Have a few things to work on now for sure. Will post update pics in a few more days or so. I am super open to instruction, so this is invaluable.

1 Like

2 Likes

WOWSERS! Super nice. I knew I was talking to the right folks.

3 Likes

I was in your shoes not that long ago

2 Likes

Just dropping by to say welcome to ILGM! The others have you covered. Best of luck! :v:

2 Likes

@Warthog

suggest you spray mist the clones for two weeks until the roots grow to the water.
DWC…means I have to check the PH daily and adjust to keep it in the range for proper nutrient absorption.

1 Like

When I do my clones, I make sure cut end is UNDER water

1 Like

Awesome advice, I am bringing down PH super super slow. It’s about 6.2 now and I’m working it down, seems to be steadier since I raised ppm to 400 +/-. Res temp is still high, but brought it down to 75. More work to do. Thanks for all the help. I ran out of posts, so awaiting better trust level. Will update in a day or two.

1 Like

You can cut a piece of 1/2" aluminized styrofoam from HD (around $10) and use that as a divider between the totes and the light.

20190223_161113

That drops temps around 5F. I would strongly recommend you run something like Hydroguard to prevent root rot and buy a case of 3% peroxide from Wally World: it’s your best friend in hydro.

You can play other games to try and reduce heat: run lights at night instead of daytime drops temps too.

As stated you want 1 to 2" of space below the net pot for the roots to drop down into. Until the roots leave the clay media you should be top watering. Your TDS level is good for now but once the roots reach the water you can start bumping it up. No higher than 900 ppm is really necessary in veg.

Bring that PH down to value right away: it won’t hurt the plant and in fact more harm may occur while out of PH range. You will be PH’ing quite a bit initially. Rez change every two weeks too.

3 Likes

Welcome to ILGM! These guys got u coverd. Couple hydro gurus hanging round here. Anywho good luck n happy growing

2 Likes

Excellent! Great tips. Never thought about the styrofoam. Genius! I will try that as it seems that the light/tent heat on the pots is what is driving the temps up in the res. Wasn’t sure about that, so thanks for confirmation and the sweet idea. I was sitting around looking at chillers thinking, man, only a few degrees to go, but don’t have the grip. Between this and lights at night, I may be set for res temps. I am seeing vast improvement with these ladies since getting ph in range and adjusting them higher in the pot. I am going faster now lowering ph per comments, so feeling excited. It seems to be holding adjustments very well now.

1 Like