Paranoid in Texas

So I live in the country of Texas. After 30 years working in a drug testing strict industry I am planning to enjoy the pleasures of cannabis again. I like to grow stuff, so why not my own MJ?
However, I find I am slightly paranoid to have seeds shipped to my home. Any advice or comforting words?
TIA

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

The good folks who grow and post here have seeds shipped to their home quite a bit and you rarely hear of problems. Maybe every 6 months someone will post about a Customs seizure letter. I’m not aware of any of those cases having been prosecuted. They usually just get a seizure letter and then never hear about it again. Authorities have bigger things to worry about than a few seeds.

6 Likes

Buy the seeds ASAP and sit on them for as long as you can. The longer you wait, the less likely anyone is to come knocking.

If the package is intercepted, they aren’t going to let your receive it; they’ll just tell you they confiscated it and that’ll be the end of it. Seeds aren’t federally illegal anymore, so it’s unlikely that anything will come of it.

4 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks MidwestGuy.

Looks like I have shopping and reading to do!

1 Like

Great advice! Thanks Keystone.
I guess autoflower is best for a beginner?

1 Like

I would start with a photoperiod plant. Feminized is probably your best bet since you’re almost guaranteed to get a female plant.

Have you decided on a budget? Or determined how much dried flower you need per month/year?

1 Like

No. Literally just got back from Colorado and had to decide how to supply my new pastime.
Can’t imagine I will need much, just my wife and me. We smoked a hybrid in CO and it has done wonders for her almost daily migraines.

1 Like

I thought autoflower would be easiest to start. Is that not the case?

Autos being easier to grow is a misconception. They are finicky, are too sensitive to nute levels, and they are hard to train because you have no control over when they flower.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You will find most say you are best to start with a photo. I started with autos my self and now prefer them. How ever. I would also recommend starting with a photo. They are not on a time clock, So if any thing goes wrong early on. You can always veg a little longer to make up for it. I my self would not be worried about getting seeds. I send them to almost every state. I have had customs grab some once. And just got a note telling me they swiped them :angry: I am not telling you to get or not get any. Just how I feel. A lot are in non legal states and order seeds with no issues.
You found a great place for info here :grin:

3 Likes

Autoflowering plants have their place, but if you’re growing in a tent your primary focus should be on photoperiod plants. Others have made a solid case for why.

I’d start making a list of all the things I’d need, and then source stuff with the input from members here. Don’t buy anything impulsively.

5 Likes

Thanks! This is a great place. I have already received lots of friendly advice in less than an hour. Looks like I will start with the feminized, I really am looking forward to the challenge. I have never grown anything this large indoors before, so lighting may be my biggest learning curve.

4 Likes

I had never grow a plant before growing cannabis. I only made it through my first grow because of all the help I got here. If you want to catch a specific person. Just start with @ and then there name. They will be notified of it then :grin: Good luck. I will be tagging a long here now :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m in austin texas and haven’t had any issues. Welcome to the forum!!

7 Likes

Lighting is easy compared to providing the plant with the micronutrients it needs, and even that isn’t all that complicated.

Can you describe the space you’re thinking about growing in? Basement, attic, garage, etc? Is there climate control in that space, and if so, what?

3 Likes

Keep it private don’t be sharing information , other than that just like any other person in the planet getting mail

3 Likes

I can attest to that! Did photos and autos on my first try and the photos were way more tolerant and ended up way better quality

2 Likes

I buy through this site… no issues

2 Likes

I’ve been ordering seeds to Texas for over 30 years, never had a problem. Do yourself a favor and go with photos instead of autos.

6 Likes

I’ve ordered from 3 places. No problems and I’ve been reading here for over a year and haven’t read about a problem. ILGM is a really nice place to buy from. Fast, and they stand behind their product. Not that others don’t but I felt kind of an obligation for ALL the free advice and help from this site. I can’t say enough about all the kind help on here! Have fun.

5 Likes