Overwatering? Pic inside

So this is my second plant. It’s a gg autoflower. My first one is going great and flowering beautifully. This one I’ve done basically the same besides obviously the amounts of things, ph, ppm…etc

It starting dropping about 2 to 3 days after watering so I watered again. The runoff came out at about 6.3 ph and 2200 ppm which is obviously way too high. The soil is happy frog with a layer of ocean forest at the bottom, which could spike the ppm reading. But being my first grow not sure what steps I should take.

My thought was to let it get bone dry then flush. I go by weight and feeling down into the dirt to water. I remember it felt very dry and empty so thought for sure it needed water. Maybe I over watered or would the ppm do this. Ppm did same thing on my first plant and never really phased it.

This picture is from today.

Oh and its day 28 from sprout incase that matters.

My guess would be that it is indeed over watered. I let my soil dry quite a bit before I water again. If you are watering to runoff, it could very well go quite a few days without needing water again. It’s not a very big plant yet.

The plant otherwise looks pretty healthy. I wouldn’t worry too much about the layer of OF at the bottom. It could be a bit before the root system gets there. Let the plant tell you when it needs nutes (or if it is choking on what is already there.)

It should recover from the drooping in a couple of days.

2 Likes

Thank you! I usually try to wait a bit longer but the pot felt light that day. Maybe it’s all the working out lately :joy:. Def giving at least 3 to 4 days now before watering.

1 Like

@Metallicide.I water religiously every three days. When I am feeding nutrients, this is in 1 gallon jugs, I water with nutrients, wait 3 days, water with straight water with 2 tbs. regular sugar and the next plain water 2 tbs. brown sugar and alternate back and forth, wait 3 days, water with nutrients. When I am not feeding nutrients I, water with sugar water, wait 3 days, water with straight water, wait 3 days, water with sugar water with the opposite sugar that I used the last time. I heard about the regular sugar from @merlin44, he said an old hippie chick told him about it, which was very funny to me because, an old hippie chick was who told me about the brown sugar. I think that he may use the sugar more often than I do. Another trick that I picked up from @merlin44 and it may work for you is 2tsp. Epson salt per gallon of water, also 1/4 cup of Epson salt per 10 gallons of soil, I believe the measurement was, when mixing soil. I had to cut out the Epson salt due, to the salt content of my well water outta the ground. I am not saying that this is the correct way as, I am new to this indoor thing myself. I just know that is what works for me and I have had few issues. My leaves always droop after watering, before lights out and before lights on. Just my experience thus far. I also agree with @MidwestGuy, your plants will tell you when they are hungry. I hope that this helps :v:

3 Likes

Overall your plant looks good last time I had one droop down that much. I let it go about 5 days drying out the pot an the leafs stood back up.

1 Like

I think I jumped the gun. Shes perking up good today.

2 Likes

I would imagine my well water had a decent amount of salt. So what does the sugar do? Is that for nutrients?

Awesome to hear. Any time I have overwatered it usually takes 2 - 3 days to recover.

1 Like

To be completely honest with you, I really don’t have a clue, I’m not gonna lie. Just like I said I had an old hippie chick tell me to use brown sugar years ago and @merlin44, said the same thing that some old hippie chick told him to use regular sugar. I hear people talking about molasses and brown sugar has molasses in it. I never questioned it. I know that the person that told me about it grew some awesome weed back in the day and said that was one of her secrets so, I didn’t question it. @merlin44, basically told me that’s kinda what happened with him as well with the regular sugar so, I just started to alternate back and forth. Like I said doesn’t seem to harm anything and if it does do something, I’m all for it. I also recently saw on a video from the guy that grew the world record auto that he uses the brown sugar so, I figure there must be something to it. It’s been working for me for years and if it’s working, I’m not gonna try to fix it. I was just telling you how I water my plants. I was adding 2tsp of Epson salt every other water until I was told about the salt issue with my well water. I’m glad to hear that your plant bounced back brother :v:

2 Likes

I do use Epsom Salts but it was someone else that mentioned sugar. I don’t use sugar or molasses. Thanks for tagging me.

2 Likes

I thought that it was you that told me about the regular sugar. Sorry brother I musta gotten it mixed up. I don’t use molasses either my self. I do on the other hand use sugar on regular water days but not when I am adding nutrients. Not sure why I thought it was you that I heard it from, I usually have a very good memory. I do know that I remember reading on one of my stays at the hospital. Probably why I got it mixed up :v:

1 Like

I’ve used honey and unsulphured molasses. Lore has it that it feeds the beneficial bacteria in your soil and that it helps keep the typical insects under control (many insects can’t process sugar and die when they ingest it.) Sulfured molasses will kill of many microbes since the sulfur is actually sulfur dioxide.

I’ve heard of its use most frequently by organic growers, who put it in their compost teas.

1 Like

That’s awesome though. Taking old tricks and using them. If it works out works. Sometimes things dont need any explanation hah. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

I quit using sugar for concern it could draw pests (and does!). Sugar is to help ‘feed’ the biome in the substrate or at least that’s the theory. Plant can’t really see the sugar. If it makes you feel better then by all means use it. In fairness I use GH’s sweetener (Flora Nectar) but has other things in it.

My guess is you looked at the plant within an hour of light’s out one evening. Cannabis plants anticipate scheduled lights off by ‘posturing’ which can look like a watering or root issue. If plants close up and ‘guard’ that’s a good sign of bedtime or an issue.

3 Likes

I have done that being new but this time it was just droopy for a long time. Even after lights on. I always water after lights come on. It is looking much better now. Still a little droop but I think I’m trying to compare it to my other plant too much and need to remember all plants regardless of the same strain can be different!

This is my oldest plant. Its doing really well so hopefully the other one starts to plump up a bit more! Its about a 10 or 15 days behind my oldest.

This was last night and it looks even better today. Thanks everyone for your help on such a noob question.

3 Likes

Don’t feel like you shouldn’t be asking these questions. I know where I live in the desert, watering is the hardest part of caring for autos. We have so little humidity that any storm that comes through can cause the schedule to be off by a few days. I had a water issue with one gg4 girl last round and had to wait a week to feed because it rained for a week and our humidity jumped to 75% outside. Even indoors we are slaves to the outside weather. Lol. Plants look really good now. Congrats!!!

1 Like

I didn’t notice this in your original post, but it looks like she’s getting too much nitrogen. Those dark green, waxy looking lower leaves are what gives it away.

1 Like

Thanks that def makes me feel better. My humidity in the tent is really low so maybe that’s drying them out quick. It was bone dry earlier so I went ahead and flushed and got ppm down from like 2400 to 1200 so that’s better. It perked right up again after the flush. I think its just a lot more thirsty then my first plant. I also watered to full 20% runoff. I apparently wasnt watering fully before because the pots way heavier than my last waterings. It’s looking perkier now and much more healthy but well see tonight when I do pictures. Plant 2 has taught me a lot lol.

2 Likes

I flushed it this morning so well see if it changes. I see what your saying. It def is darker than my others.

1 Like